Nugget Shooter Forums

Which headphones/

Idaho Jim

I'm getting ready to buy my first pair of aftermarket headphones. I'm mostly interested in nugget hunting, but will also use them for metal detecting old mining camps, homesteads, etc. What say you experienced.people. Is there a particular set of phones I should be looking at? I'm 67, and have some hearing loss in my shooting ear, and some general deterioration across the board. It's often windy here in southern Idaho, and that gives me problems with the Whites headphones that came with my GMT, DFX, and TDI SL. Mant thanks for any input.

Jim

I also have loss of hearing in my shooting ear. I tried a couple brands and I really love the nugget buster headphones. They work well for me. So many to choose from. Good luck. 

Dan 

Thanks, Dan. They're on my short list. As you say...there are so many that are good. I only posted the question here because I have a lot of respect for the opinions on this forum. I'm glad to see you like them. I'm also reading some good things on the Black Widows. Hope some more guys chime in.

Jim

I use Black Widows when I choose to use any at all. Most of the time I use external speakers due to comfort and environment.  Make sure you get independant volume control because not all have the option.

AJ

I think any of the better headphones on the market (~$100 range) will be considerably better than those cheap ones from Whites. For me, those things sounded like I had a couple seashells strapped over my ears, especially when there's some wind.

• Like 1

Many thanks, guys. Looks like a coin toss between the Nugget Busters & the Black Widows. Probably BW's would be superior in the wind I often hunt in. I appreciate the help.

Jim

Sorry I didn't see this sooner ... I have tried both the Black Widows and Sunray Pro Gold ... LOVE my Sunrays. The BW's were OK but just didn't seal right for me. The Sunrays have leather ear cuffs and i don't sweat so badly with them compared the others with man-made materials on the cuffs. I also like the individual volume controls and the high noise cancel switch for the ear crushing large targets close to the surface! Never tried the Nugget Busters so can't compare those to the Sunrays.

Thanks, Mike. I guess all our ears are different. To some degree, my question was silly. No way everybody would agree on what's best. I got what I wanted, and that was some good ideas on headphones. I like the idea of leather cuffs. I'll keep that in mind. I thing the Sunrays had about the same popularity as the ND's and BW's, so will be on my list for a backup pair.  'preciate the input.

Jim. .

I also use my external speaker most of the time. I know on real windy days I'll use my nugget busters and they seal real well for me. But like you said, everybody has different body features and hearing so what works well for me might not work for someone else. I think you will like them.

Dan

I mainly use my Bose QC 2's-they block the noise better than anything else Ive used and sound great-I also have a pair of special Killer B headphones that I modified with a amp and I used tweeters-I also have a pair of BW's that are like new that just sit on a shelf :head: Mike C...:200: 

Edited by Mike C...

Killer Bs and Sun Ray Pro Golds are great!  They are made by the same person but not sold by the same sales person.  The Killer bees are made by the guy who makes both but has more options for pretty much the same money.  

Terry

Down here 30 Miles from the border ya don't use head phones.  Snakes, Two Leg kind will get you.  Need to be able to hear what's going on around you.  Dog tells me most the time be he too misses some.  I use Ear Buds. 

On March 16, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Mike Furness said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner ... I have tried both the Black Widows and Sunray Pro Gold ... LOVE my Sunrays. The BW's were OK but just didn't seal right for me. The Sunrays have leather ear cuffs and i don't sweat so badly with them compared the others with man-made materials on the cuffs. I also like the individual volume controls and the high noise cancel switch for the ear crushing large targets close to the surface! Never tried the Nugget Busters so can't compare those to the Sunrays.

I've owned both the BW's and Sunrays and I prefer the Sundays too. Better sound quality and components like the leather headband and earcups.

Thanks again, guys. We've got rattlers here, too, but not as nasty as your western diamondbacks. When in snake country, I just keep my eyes peeled. Don't have much problem with the two-legged variety. We also have bears and lions, including grizzlies. There's lot of really remote country here, and when hunting alone, as I usually do, you always have to be aware of what's going on around you. As down south, people die here every year...often from not paying attention, or not being prepared.

Jim

• Like 1

I've been using BW's for 12+ years and they are the best ... I have several pairs ..,. You do have to be aware if you're in a rattlers situation ... I've literally stood within 1 ft. of a highly pissed of diamondback or mojave green and not heard them ... I've had many encounters out there and it seems I've got a sixth sense about them being close and end up jumping and sometimes squealing like a school girl (not really)! Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Am I the only one r that uses the Koss ur 30 that came with the detector?  I've thought about upgrading but the seem plenty loud enough for me, Im not sure other phones wo u ld be much benefit since my hearing is still pretty decent.  Aside from noise cancelling and individual volume controls, are there any other benefits to upgraded phones for a guy with decent hearing?

I switched my headphones out at the end of last year.  And while I cannot say that these got me any more gold, it does quiet things down, especially on windy days.  Keeps me from having to raise my target volume as high (which tends to add more noise in itself).  So now when I'm walking around chewing Corn Nuts and whistling Dixie,  I can really hear those disturbances in the threshold.  :shhhhh:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ahorton10 said:

Aside from noise cancelling and individual volume controls, are there any other benefits to upgraded phones for a guy with decent hearing?

Fit , comfort , quality and the tone the headphones make ( this can be important) The simpler they are the less problems you will likely have,too. 

Got the Nugget Busters this afternoon. Just went out to try them in the test garden. HUGE difference in the sound. A real "POP" over the targets. No wind, so haven't tested that yet. Really happy so far.

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also think the Black Widows would be best as I also have a hearing loss and I love them. Les Minelab GoldBug Newbie