Nugget Shooter Forums

Fluid Bed

GeoJack

Washing some slime. Crushed quartz is leaving some very fine particles that I want to keep so made up this fluid bed to flush the organics.

two feet of 4" pipe with threaded plug on end.

Inexpensive sprinkler head trimmed to fit in pipe

Water feed to stir up the organics enough to overflow leaving the heavies on the bottom. WIll adjust height of pipe and water flow to match needs.

After the rain stops I'll try it out and report.

FB1.jpg

fb2.jpg

FB4.jpg

Fluid Bed.jpg

Edited by GeoJack

Had not heard of this before John, thanks.

OSTERBERG’s E-TOWER 

Osterberg’s E-tower was invented by Daniel Osterbergof California, patented in 1984 (US #4,451,359), and marketed as the Quick Gold Separator. The device causes black sand to fluidise and particles to hover. For ‘hovering’, the water velocity has to slackenupwards – impossible in a cylinder is of uniform diameter. Slackening is by the water escaping from the constricted space in the flow distributor. If a teetered bed E-tower then hovering is accompanied by hindered settling in the teetering fluidised bed, displacing lighter particles upward. The author suggests that Osterberg’s device is amultiple E-tower with many rising columns jetting upward,each decelerating once free of the flow distributor.Osterberg’s E-tower seems capable of achieving highpercentage fine gold recovery and merits testing.
siphoning of tales
Operation 

Clean water is introduced into a 4-inch diameter column near its base, at 2 gallons/minute. Once inside, the water passes through a distributor in a sequence designed to create a non-turbulent up-flow:

• through a perforated plate secured to a bottom ring; then
  • through a disc of felted, fibrous synthetic polymer; then
  • through a screen with openings so fine that upward flow issubstantially unaffected in its lateral uniformity; and finally
  • through a coarse screen.

Screened concentrate is spooned into the tower from above. The water rises with enough velocity to non-turbulently fluidise the concentrate yet without ejecting particles with the overflow of washwater.The upwelling water must decelerate for black sand to hover as a fluidised bed, the deceleration being due to the rising non-turbulent plumes of wash water have more width once free of the flow distributor, suggest the device is nota teetered bed settler as hindered settling seems minor. The patent suggests the fluidised bed be stirredgently at the start to encourage gold to fall to the bottom. The upper portion of the fluidised bed is deemed to be depleted of gold and is siphoned off as tailings. The dense gold particles remain behind and more concentrate is spooned into the top of the column. After processing many spoonfuls of material, the enriched gold concentrate is siphoned off from the device.
Edited by GeoJack

Laugh as you want.   Fish tank bubblier,  Dish soap.   Place the Bubbler at the Bottom of the mix.  Let it Bubble.   Gold will settle at the Bottom.     Give it time and the gOLD will tame down.   Done this with many a Black Sands and it worked.  

Edited by homefire

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, Hoser John said:

Ostenburg column design

I'm having trouble picturing how this fluidizer works.  Only thing I can think is that it works similar to the blue bowl in the same way it keeps the gold at the bottom of the pipe.  That may also explain to me why the blue bowl is wider at the top than the bottom.

4 hours ago, homefire said:

Laugh as you want.   Fish tank bubblier,  Dish soap.   Place the Bubbler at the Bottom of the mix.  Let it Bubble.   Gold will settle at the Bottom.     Give it time and the gOLD will tame down.   Done this with many a Black Sands and it worked

So the gold settles in a layer under the black sand with this fish bubbler method?

NEVER EVER USE DISHSOAP IN A CONCENTRATOR. You will thusly create bubbles which float your micro gold right out. The only thing it's good for is a preclean and then err on the side a caution. Dishwasher anti spotting agents are a surfactant that increases surface tension and represses the ability to form bubbles which are your enemy in fines retention. The addition of a el cheapo pulse valve will provide the bump you need to help settle out the fines. Do NOT expect clean gold from the column as just a concentrator. You can also use---here comes the chuckles--your wifes/girlfriends/etc vibrator by just duct taping that thing to the column and viola a vibrating column with much better concentration and retention-:brows:John

My main frustration is when classifying down to minus 100 I am left with the slime / organics that I want to clean prior to Blue Bowl so I don't clog up my recirc system.

Any thoughts on automating the screening process? I have 12" x 12" screen sections of 20, 50 and 100.

What about an acid wash( ?HCL or oxalic?) to make the slime/organics wash away easier?

Edited by weaver hillbille

Had a water bed back in the 60's, when I was married, came home one day! My hunting knife was stuck in the waterbed, Honeymoon over! Ha! Ha!  I guess you can call it a fluidbed. Grubstake

21 hours ago, GeoJack said:

My main frustration is when classifying down to minus 100 I am left with the slime / organics that I want to clean prior to Blue Bowl so I don't clog up my recirc system.

I've been giving this some thought, GJ, mainly because I had a similar situation.. The difference being I only had a small amount of material -- basically an one-time deal.. You're talking about the tailings piles, right..? About four yards worth, isn't it..? Also my Au I was all in the -70 to maybe -150 range max, didn't have any super-micro like your 'scope photos showed..

Discounting possible solutions like drying then either burning or some form of winnowing, what I'm about to suggest was also my final recovery step (except for panning and the Black Magic..) I simply assume the really fine stuff will fall out too.. If not, you may need to go to something like the two-bucket method plus an added coagulant for capture, if you feel there's enough to make doing so worthwhile..

Set yourself up a recirculating poop tube.. Low volume bilge pump is perfect.. Even the -100 I run through mine has all the Au falling out in the first half-dozen 'humps'.. Yeah, the organics recirculate too -- so when I shut down I just take a bottle of clean water and flush from above the capture.. Then I pan out what I can and Black Magic what I can't.. In your case it'll be the Blue Bowl doing it all..

Bit time consuming but it works.. If there's enough Au, it really isn't time consuming at all, ya know? -- and it solves the problem of organics throughout your Blue Bowl hoses and etc..

Swamp

Al, thanks. I have a section of poop tube set up and was thinking about using it from the crusher to the impact mill to help break stuff up.

Last bucket I ran through the crusher I screened down to minus 30 prior to sending the larger stuff to the impact mill. This took quite a bit of organics out but further milling released more again. When I dump my trough out at the end of the run I see the really small stuff in the bottom. I think I'll drive myself mad trying to capture it instead of just working on the larger stuff.

21 hours ago, grubstake said:

Had a water bed back in the 60's, when I was married, came home one day! My hunting knife was stuck in the waterbed, Honeymoon over! Ha! Ha!  I guess you can call it a fluidbed. Grubstake

LOL   Had Cats for a while.    They don't get along worth a chit with water beds.  

Just now, GeoJack said:

Al, thanks. I have a section of poop tube set up and was thinking about using it from the crusher to the impact mill to help break stuff up.

Last bucket I ran through the crusher I screened down to minus 30 prior to sending the larger stuff to the impact mill. This took quite a bit of organics out but further milling released more again. When I dump my trough out at the end of the run I see the really small stuff in the bottom. I think I'll drive myself mad trying to capture it instead of just working on the larger stuff.        Henry, Henry Poop tubes work for me.   Keep the flow slow, ya it takes time but it works.

I'll set it up today and run some material as I crush more rock. Got new links on the impact mill and it's now ready to run with water spray and fine tuned the exit for smaller results. It's the darn time it takes to classify that slows me down. 

Going to start on my cribbing frame to get the crusher above the impact mill so it is one feed and then re-feed oversized back to mill.

Edited by GeoJack

21 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Weaver, haven't heard of using that for this. How does it work? This is really fine clay / mud screened to minus 100. Does it act as a flockulant or the opposite?

I don't think the  HCL or oxalic acid will do didly/dissolve clay unless it's iron  or carbonate based or organic.. Idea would be to wash/soak  your concentrates, allow to settle some and pour off solution( several times) leaving fines at the bottomeach time.  Y ou can do the same with water and a bit of soap prior to any acid washes to be frugal.

Once you have the heavies cleaned up, put  in the floatation column

The organics compact down to heavy clay. Limeonite, calcite and iron sulfides = slime. My thoughts were the fluid bed would suspend the organics in the column and allow them to flush out the top while the micro heavies drop. I'll fire it up again after trimming it down some.

I'm curious to hear your result GeoJack, and actually have no reason to believe it won't work as advertised..

The "problem" as I see it though is at the end of your much longer day vs a poop tube you'll also end up with all the black sands instead of just the amount remaining with the Au in the front end poop tube valleys..

I'm sure there will be situations where Osterberg's deveice is the solution.. Seems every piece of mining equipment ever devised has served a purpose no other could handle.. In the scenario being discussed however, it appears a poop tube holds every advantage.. I also realize that isn't what this thread is about, which leads us back to the first sentence..:4chsmu1:

Swamp

On 3/18/2016 at 4:30 PM, chrisski said:

I'm having trouble picturing how this fluidizer works.  Only thing I can think is that it works similar to the blue bowl in the same way it keeps the gold at the bottom of the pipe.  That may also explain to me why the blue bowl is wider at the top than the bottom.

So the gold settles in a layer under the black sand with this fish bubbler method?

Yes.    The black sands being a bit lighter then 19SG ends up on top.  Blond sands will go over the top if you run it long enough and hard enough.