Nugget Shooter Forums

The World As We Know It Has Come To An End

Many of the old pulltabs that are the bane of most detectorist's world are now being considered "Historic Artifacts"!!! :yikes:

http://westerndigs.org/ring-tab-beer-cans-are-now-officially-historic-artifacts/

OMG!!!

I've always thought that archaeologists go a little overboard and to the extreme now we have solid proof!!! Christz_pillepalle%5B1%5D.gif

I'm guessing that using a metal detector will be a hard road from here on out!! :2mo5pow:

This statement says it all....

" Schroeder noted, because the ring-tab’s new status means it can be used to identify sites that may have historic value. "

So I'm guessing the historic value he will learn is all the places people used to go and get drunk!!!

• Like 1

At that rate I'm surprised that boot tacks haven't been classified the same way.

Or have they?

Technically they are classified as such, anything over 50 years old, there's isn't a complete list of specific items, it's the 50 years old or older that makes the determination.

I thought it was 100 years?

Originally it was and should still be, but as with everything else the agencies now-a-days seem to make their own rules/laws and we have to spend hard earned money in the courts to fight a citation.

• Like 1

Well, my butt is well over 50 so I want some federal funding, support and annual celebrations, being kissed and fondled by some official body ... Waitin'! ... Cheers Unc

• Like 5

Technically they are classified as such, anything over 50 years old, there's isn't a complete list of specific items, it's the 50 years old or older that makes the determination.

A coin I lost as a kid qualifies.

One more excuse for the feds to close land to our access! The bastards will use any excuse ... I sure hope the next administration has the balls and resolve to undo some of the land takings and bring some common sense to this archaeological crap! PULL TABS ... really! :grr01::old:

Mike F

• Like 1

I just happen to have a copy of the 1976 edition of "The Beer Can Collector's Bible" (I would, wouldn't I ?), and

the first pull tab was designed and patented by Alcoa Aluminum Company in 1962.. Pittsburgh Brewing was the

first to market it, on its Iron City brand..

At least now you know who's responsible for your cutting the crap out of your lip back in 12th grade.. :th:

Swamp

Up in the hills north of Redding there was a old CCC camp. 2 fellas got busted detecting the old trash piles thrown down a hillside. They both lost their trucks, atvs, all detectors/equipment,got $10,000 fine and 160 hours of community service. If service not done 6 months in jail for historic site desecration sic sic sic we've been up Schitt creek for quite awhile now and sinking into the mud-John

I just happen to have a copy of the 1976 edition of "The Beer Can Collector's Bible" (I would, wouldn't I ?), and

the first pull tab was designed and patented by Alcoa Aluminum Company in 1962.. Pittsburgh Brewing was the

first to market it, on its Iron City brand..

At least now you know who's responsible for your cutting the crap out of your lip back in 12th grade.. :th:

Swamp

There are worse things than cutting your lip. Having Iron City beer go down your gullett is one of those things.

• Like 4

There are worse things than cutting your lip. Having Iron City beer go down your gullett is one of those things.

There was a reason for that.. It was the only beer on the market at the time able to dislodge, dissolve, neutralize then rinse away the layers of plaque and particulates in one's mouth and on one's tongue following an eight hour shift at the steel mill.. Lungs though..? Not so much..

Swamp

Here in New Mexico a guy got a $700.00 ticket for picking up 7 cut nails. WTF ? Another guy got busted for his kid finding a Arrow head even if the law saws it' ok if there on the surface.

• Like 1

I worked for one of the dreaded agencies for many years. When the archaeologist would evaluate the various fencing projects, we would have to reroute fences to avoid random scraps of iron left by the sheepherders that were out there in the early 1900's. Not even old camps, or identifiable relics, just random bits of iron. Same would go for a 1-centimeter chip of obsidian. It would add so much time, hassle, and money to such simple projects it was unreal. I can only imagine how it will be now that the pulltab qualifies.

• Like 2

So I guess if I can find my ass with both hands, the govt. will slap me down!??? Unc

• Like 2

Inundate them with Finding Reports. Demand a Feed Back on Action they are taking. Tell them it important. Hit them with a $1.00 finders fee.