Nugget Shooter Forums

Dug a few targets today...

LukeJ

....and a couple of them were GOLD !! :yesss:

Went out to a spot in the mountains and met up with a very generous friend this morning.

He showed me a spot that he had done pretty good recently and since I can keep a secret.... :brows:

So anyways, the morning was rather uneventful. Lots of bullets and shell casings.

After lunch, we went back to detecting and that's when things got interesting. MattS picked up a nice little nugget in an area that I had searched earlier that morning. When I went over to check it out, he threw the nugget back in the hole and I attempted to detect it. Best I could do was hear something that I usually have to dismiss as ground noise. (or I'll go mad :grr01: ​) I'd guess the nugget was a third of a gram and fairly flat, so when my detector couldn't hear it, I was a bit bummed. :idunno:

Fortunately, persistence paid off.

About an hour later, I scored the first little guy. (.24g) Which was great since it was smaller than the one Matt found. (my detector works) So I was pretty happy about that. :4chsmu1:

Then, 15 minutes later, and ten feet to the left, The Lunker. (3.21g) :ROFL:

It was about four inches down in the 'fluff' dirt. Once I got it in the scoop, I could feel the weight and expected to see a .45 caliber bullet. That made the sight of gold even better. I think I yelled. It's a great thing when you can hold a nugget between your thumb and forefinger and your buddy can see it from 20 feet away!

All in all, a great day out with a new friend and we both scored some gold. ( Matt scored 5 pieces with his 2300. I'll let him elaborate when he's ready)

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 2

Them'z a couple sweet surf riders ya got there, Luke.. :yesss:

So, for this captive listening audience -- didja make a tweak to your detector?? or do you

now have a new understanding and appreciation of 'ground noise'..? (just kinda messin' with ya here,

especially if it wasn't hitting your ears as a zip zip previously -- but would like to know..)

Swamp

Wow Luke!
Thats a heck of a hunk of gold :)
You deserve it.
WTG :yesss:

Tom H.

Thanks guys.... I've been getting pretty lucky lately. Hope it keeps up :D

Them'z a couple sweet surf riders ya got there, Luke.. :yesss:

So, for this captive listening audience -- didja make a tweak to your detector?? or do you

now have a new understanding and appreciation of 'ground noise'..? (just kinda messin' with ya here,

especially if it wasn't hitting your ears as a zip zip previously -- but would like to know..)

Swamp

You know, I did adjust my detector after that experience, but soon adjusted it back to where I was running it before. Pushing up the gain just made things more unstable. The ground there is fairly mineralized and I had to run the GB a bit higher than normal. That first nugget Matt found that day had the shape of a 'boomerang triangle' (to my recollection) and was 'flattish'. I'm just guessing at the weight of .3g. Maybe he'll chime in and show you guys and give us the actual weight. The hole he dug it out of and put it back into was about 2-3 inches deep. My detector doesn't really "zip-zip", it's got high and low tones. I'm listening for the high tones. The iron stuff gives a broader high tone and the good stuff is a bit sharper and sounds a bit fuzzy when you slow down over a gold or lead target. The depth on iron drops off faster than the heavy metals too.

One thing I've been learning recently, is that nugget shape is an important factor in detectability. With the coils I've been experimenting with, I put together a collection of small (sub gram) nuggets and other types of stuff (bullet fragments and boot tacks) I've dug up along the way. Mass is important, and obviously the 'bigger' the target the easier to detect, but I've found occasions where a smaller nugget is easier detected when it's flat and round. Small nuggets of irregular shape and possibly crystalline in composition are much harder to detect. When I say 'harder to detect', I mean that depth/distance from coil is reduced considerably.

I'm sure some of you already knew this, but I kinda figured it out sitting at my dining room table. :4chsmu1:

...and now in the field :yesss:

Still learning and having fun along the way. Thanks for all the kind words....

Luke

• Like 2

The larger one is a beautiful pendant piece...WTG!!!!! Cheers, Unc

I mentioned it to the wife.... she's okay with having a new gold nugget pendant. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I mentioned it to the wife.... she's okay with having a new gold nugget pendant. :rolleyes:

OH your sly.....now shes ok with you getting a ML PI? to find the bigger deeper ones :)

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...