Nugget Shooter Forums

How far out of Vegas must one look for color ?

H-2 Charlie

Gold Basin.

I had a few business trips to AZ, and the place I found was about 2.5 hours away. North of Dolan Springs is Gold Basin. Lots of private land and club claims. At the time I was in the GPAA and used the Bade Claims. Access was not terrible, but remote. I had a 4 WD pick up and think I needed that or a bike. Never entered 4WD, but still remote enough off non-maintained roads. Known more for meteorites than gold. Personally, found neither, but still had a great time.

May be other places West of NV, but I was driving up from Phoenix so only looked East of Vegas.

Charlie,

I live in Vegas, you will have to travel a little to get to placer areas. Like Chrisski says Gold Basin, Arizona is one place. The Johnnie district just above Pahrump is another. Those are about the closest places with a great chance to find color. There are other little known area's , but just like Las Vegas, your odds are greater at the 2 places mentioned above. Good Luck..

Dave

DD is Rosie's Den still up and running? Best dang ham and egg breakfast in the world. Rosie was still alive

then, she's probably gone now. Then less than half a mile So. was the White Hills Road. Looks like it's paved

now. Couldn't believe that four lane highway.

My first nugget was in White Hills. Had just bought a brand new Minelab XT 17000 and followed two other people

into White Hill. I stopped to find my first nugget in about 1 1/2 hour and the other two folks left. After I found the

nugget I was completely lost. I stayed on what I thought was the main road or "trail". After several hours I spotted

a semi-trailer on a highway way East of me. In going there I had to drive through a herd of cattle, the trail was now

just a path but the 4x4 Chevy made it to the highway. Didn't know which way to turn so I just went to the right. A

few miles down that highway I was in a small town called Dolan Springs!

• Like 2

Good basin has much more area to look, and I think someone with a basic knowledge of prospecting could do well there. Johnnie is a bit closer, but I think you have to spend more time there to figure it out. I have spent more time in Johnnie and done fairly well out there, even found a couple of 10+gram nuggets.

Best of luck