Nugget Shooter Forums

thoughts on a mortar/pestle design ,

weaver hillbille

If it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger ...

Pestle is a few feet of 4" SCH40 steel pipe with one end domed/ plugged.( end to be filled with some concrete)- scrap price <$30...

AS for the mortar, it's still in the :idunno: conceptual stage. I was planning on using concrete to act as a backup mass.

I briefly landed on the idea of kidnapping a small SS mixing bowl from the kitchen. Backed up by rebar and large concrete mass, it should last for the limited use it'll get it, And I was going to use high strength concrete :brows: ...

ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

Bryan

Mortar = next larger size pipe & domed cap..

Won't be able to toss in as much rock at one time but conformed and confined space

should = faster overall fine crushing with no skin-shredding eye-blinding flying chips..

Swamp

EDIT: I guess this would actually be more a rock crusher than mortar & pestle, but unless

there's a reason / need to view what's taking place... ??

Edited by Swampstomper Al

That makes perfect sense. I like it, Swamp.

I was thinking I could put a door in the side of it, down low, and a big chock under one side of the whole mortar mass. REmove the chock and the mortar( as designed) tips on it's side to dump out the contents, as needed.

The door's kind of an interesting idea, probably a good idea if using a large volume mortar, chocked like you mentioned, and hooked into a swivel allowing for more than 90 degrees of tilt..

With a mortar & pestle, no matter how much the material is shaken down and re-pounded ya always end up with material that needs screened because it never all gets crushed to the same fineness.. I was actually thinking the best way would be using flat mortar base and pestle end while keeping material to be crushed shallow.. That way it might all end crushed to a similar fineness.. Never have put any of this to a test though; it just 'sounds' right..

Using two tubes the door is probably un-necessary though.. Firm support of the mortar allowing easy egress should allow for quick dumping of contents onto a screen, then put the + back into the tube along with more larger material -- or save that size, begin anew with large material alone, repeat and repeat until all that remains is the + from the screening --then do it.. This is based on rounded caps.. I can't help but wonder about snug fit flat surface-to-surface tho..

Swamp

EDIT: With flat surface-to-surface ends the design could be any shape.. It's tough if not impossible fo find tubing that fits snugly, so odds are one will need to assemble.. This is easy if one has a lot of scrap sheeting, oxy-acet torch with all the etc or wire feed welder.. Without, ya gotta have a good friend who owes you a favor.. Triangle is probably easiest.. Outside welds on the mortar; inside welds on the pestle.. Should end up smooth moving.. Lot of work for its use though.. So outer tube with a flat end cap and inner tube with a welded flat metal disk sized to inner dimension of mortar sounds like the prototype ticket..

Edited by Swampstomper Al

WH the guys down here us out dated fire extinquishers. They cut the bottom off to the depth they want and

some even weld little legs on them.

That's interesting & kinda cool, Don.. Use what's workable on-hand wot can be gotten for free or cheap.. YES..!

Do they need to reinforce the bottoms..? Kinda wide tho.. Wottre they usin' for pestils..?

Swamp

Never paid much attention to them swamp. I think they were old extinquishers that where really thick and heavy. They beat

all the nuggets here for the gold because the gold buyer won't buy any rock. The setup I saw was using a small sledge

hammer without the handle for their pestle.

That's another good idea-diameter would work too for the size of pestle I have... just saw someone giving away old O2 cylinders on CL- will hop on that.

Thanks Don.. Yeah, I remember those old brass / brass-looking extinguishers.. They used to be everywhere, but then just kinda went away because they were only good for use on "normal" fires, were useless or worse on electrical or grease / oil fires.. Eventually everything became either foam or smothering heavy-gas extinguishers.. Also sounds like they're finishing off small pieces, so smushing not pounding = no reinforcement necessary.. Kewl..!

WH: Free is free is free.. Plus two different kinds too.. Industrial O2 tanks are ?? painted green while medical / lab tanks are stainless steel..

Swamp