Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm not really a coin shooter but I do try and keep an eye out for cool stuff, and the other day I noticed this in my change from the day before I threw it in the jar to someday be rolled and turned into the bank.

I thought it was neat enough to share, but I also don't know anything about coins. :idunno:

post-27032-0-36609500-1454949911_thumb.j

post-27032-0-87981500-1454949941_thumb.j

• Like 2

That's a nice find for being in your change, AD.. Unfortunately it isn't worth all that much, like $3 - 4 or so..

I'd have to grade it an avg to stronger G.. Even though it seems to look better than that, much of the grade

for Indian Head pennies comes from the LIBERTY on its headband, and nothing is visible.. Ergo..

Still, a nice find for being in your change..

Swamp

PS: All Indian Head pennies were minted in Philly; no mint marks..

It WAS still in circulation...

LOL..! Good 'un, Frank..

I'm guessin' the main reason unlikely coinage still shows up in your change every now & again is cos it

gets 'liberated' by teens from their parents or grandparents change stash, either not realizing or not

caring all of what they took is pre '65.. Last time for me was about 4 months ago.. Emptied my pockets at

the end of the day and found an early '60s silver quarter and a date-rubbed Buffalo nickel.. Know exactly

where I got 'em too, a country-crossroads Circle-K gas-n-go after beach detecting on the Treasure Coast..

Had I gassed up when I got home instead of there I would have gone back n asked the clerk go through

her register drawer to see what else might be left..

Swamp

Some little monster is gettn' his arse beat for raiding his Pops coin collection for sure!! I found many 100s of coins-foreign and domestic-in a park in Garden Grove quite a few years back. Put out ads/fliers and gave to the cops but a year later mine..cool but still feel for the loser..John

• Like 2

I figured the same thing. There was no way this coin had been in and out of cash registers for the last 100+ years. Somebody made a mistake and spent it not to long before I scored it. It came from a store here in Sedona, AZ. Lots of retired people here so I'm guessing and old senile guy/gal or relative that just didn't know or care. The goodwill store here usually has some pretty nice stuff too.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

So I pulled a couple more out of circulation. Tonight my daughter lost another tooth, I went to the change bowl to find a couple Sacagawea dollars for the tooth fairy to leave under her pillow and found these two guys in there!

1125171914.jpg1125171915.jpg

• Like 2

Is that an 1863 on the left..?

If so, nice find..! They are a copper - nickel mix.. They were only minted like that the first six years (1859 - 1864) before getting switched to the bronze mixture used up until the Zincolns came along in 1982.. Those also weigh about a gram-n-a-half more than the 3.11 gr bronze pennies..

Swamp

The 1865 is worth about the same as the 1863, could be worth about a dollar more if it's a "Fancy 5" vs a "Plain 5", here's a photo of the 2 diffrent 5s., value is around $10 to $15 for a Plain 5.

If you find any from 1866 to 1878 the value is greatly increased and some dates in this group very much so!!!

DATE COMPARISON

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Its an 1865, just missed it by a year sounds like for the nickel mix.

I'll just take your word for it, not that I doubt it for any reason.. What I doubt is my eye sight.. It's just funky enough these days that I can't quite make out the last digit.. I can quite clearly see the other is an 1887.. One can also quite clearly see the color difference between those two planchets too..

Do me a favor and put it on your scale, 'k..? If it weighs + - 4.67 g it's copper - nickel..

1864 is a transition year for the penny; both silver-nickel and bronze were struck.. There are also two bronze varieties for 1864

In 1865 there is a variety where a weak 4 is seen under the 5, but it isn't considered a true overdate.. That usually happens when the 4 has either been ground off or filled in on a working hub or working die then not properly finished before a replacement 5 is added, but it also can be caused by being struck in an overdate manner.. These would explain an underlying 4..

There are other 'things' too, but what I'm trying to get at is you appear to have a coin that shouldn't exist.. I can come up with scenarios that'll make it exist, but let's start with determining if it's copper-nickel or not.. Sure looks like one from here.. Regardless what it might be other than an actual 1863 makes it a rarity..

Swamp

• Like 1

Suddenly I can see again..! :4chsmu1: Thanks Shay..

Swamp

EDIT: Given the macro shot I'd say we can safely move the goal posts worth-wise on the '65..
I'd give it a strong fine, like F-15; almost a VF-20.. Assuming rev is as good that'll boost un-slabbed worth to right at $25.. Sweet..! ^5..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Now that I can see the 1865 coin much better it's in better condition than I thought, therefore worth a bit more, I would say it's in very fine condition around VF-20 and I would say it's worth somewhere between $25 to $45, it's a keeper!!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Now that I can see the 1865 coin much better it's in better condition than I thought, therefore worth a bit more, I would say it's in very fine condition around VF-20 and I would say it's worth somewhere between $25 to $45, it's a keeper!!

26 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Suddenly I can see again..! :4chsmu1: Thanks Shay..

Swamp

EDIT: Given the macro shot I'd say we can safely move the goal posts worth-wise on the '65..
I'd give it a strong fine, like F-15; almost a VF-20.. Assuming rev is as good that'll boost un-slabbed worth to right at $25.. Sweet..! ^5..

Yet again, lol..! Yeah, I went back & edited in a grade and min value $$s worth b4 seeing yours..
Looks like I grade just a scosch harder than you too, while remaining close enough for gub'mit work..

Swamp

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Yet again, lol..! Yeah, I went back & edited in a grade and min value $$s worth b4 seeing yours..
Looks like I grade just a scosch harder than you too, while remaining close enough for gub'mit work..

Swamp

Al I graded it a VF-20 because it has almost a complete headband, almost all of the letters of LIBERTY are present and readable and from what I could see of the back that when I enlarged it appears to be in a little bit better conditon than the front, I could change my mind if I saw a clearer macro shot of the back.

We do seem to be on top of these coin posts at the same time most of the time, we must of went to different schools together!! :ROFL:

Edit: Also many grading companies seems to have lowered their standard when it comes to grading Indian Heads pennies, here's an article saying must the same.

I may have to up my grading after seeing the reverse better!:idunno:

http://beantowncoins.com/articles/indian-head-pennies-grading-standards/