Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoJack

Test Run - 40 lbs = .4 grams

BD, had my wife's cousin offer me about 10 lbs of mercury, I questioned where he got it from and he said "from gramps old mine". Told him to run it first to see if there was AU in it before he gave it out. Will see about it this weekend. Removable copper plate on the top of the Cube?

Will be running 5 - five gallon buckets today to see about some different ore results. Same vein but different location.

What BD said, especially the first part for now at least -- because I can't imagine not wanting to see

size & % of size of Au total coming from each X amount of buckets at Y location..

Since you are making 'em tho: Quick & dirty on the buttons or more refined..? Materials..?

Swamp

Swamp, Make your own gold bars dot com supplied the small double propane kiln with batch of flux from same.

Melt, cool then dolly pot flux, rinse repeat till I got down to just two small balls of AU for the final weight of .2g.

May have lost some during the open crucible melt that I broke apart and then remelted in the smaller crucibles (1 oz).

I'll pick up the material needed to collect the au this weekend and then begin again.

So with the amalgam, any specific chamois to use to seperate? Safety gear other than fresh air and some nytril gloves?

Thanks.. Guess that unit does work well.. Beats the old alternatives sounds like..

You have a retort or goin' old skool..? Chamois & gloves needed either way..

SA

EDIT: Seems to me I saw a vid that showed gathering micro together using baking soda?? was it..?

I'll try to relocate it.. Definitely beats dealing with quicksilver..

Saw that video, somewhere in Africa or something. I'll review that one as well. Old skool.

The small crucibles made from graphite burn through, lost some flux out the side but don't think any AU went with it.

Saw that video, somewhere in Africa or something...

Yup, that's the one..

Made a lot of sense as I recall, didn't it..? Been a while since I saw it..

And now I don't need to try n find it again either.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

GEOJACK. Seems like you have a good plan with rock crusher on site and starting production.

Appreciate the comments on my methods. Here’s how I’m thinking.

I have a period of unemployment coming up I’m really looking forward to and I’m making plans to go to a certain area, so a lot of what I’m looking into is going somewhere for five days, and exactly what equipment to take with me for the trip. This should be after the ground dries out and before the summer monsoons, so I will be able to dry wash. I expect to have a base camp and be able to go from there to three different places and spend a day at each.

The wet I’m talking about, is if I fill a five gallon bucket of dirt, it comes to about 65LBS dry, but about 90 LBS if wet. This came from me bringing buckets of dry, sorted material back to run through the gold cube, and after I put the dirt back in the gold cube, it was much heavier. I’ve hand crushed rock before, and the material seems very light. Just for my calculations, I would go with five gallon buckets equals one ton of material. I know if I put 40 buckets on the scale, it would probably weigh 2300 LBS dry or close to 2700 LBS wet. For me, I would like to know how many buckets to run through my Equipment to get that gold.

Also, for it being an actual 1/3 ounce per ton processed, I’m getting that from a post on a board about someone moving silver ore to a smelter to extract the gold. What happened was he hired someone to load silver ore into a truck, but when that happened there was a lot of surrounding dirt that was thrown into the silver ore tailings, so what was supposed to a profitable run, turned into a loss because the ore assessed profitable, but because that excess material was sent to the smelter, money was lost. I think the money he got back from the smelter was 1/5th of what he thought it would be.

Chris, I should have pretty clean material other than the pockets of material within the quartz. Curious how mercury is used in the pan during clean up, do you just swirle it around in the fines and it picks up the gold or does it take some time for it to absorb the AU?