Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone need to stop taking their statin med..?

Swampstomper Al

First person replies only, please.. I need to know what the med did to you, not what your wife's brother said it did to him.. It's strange and scary enough as it is that I find myself posting about said subject.. Ergo one of the last things I need is hearsay tossed into this Mulligan Stew to further confuse and complicate..

Six weeks ago I was detecting beaches daily.. Today as I type I can only barely quite painfully move my major joints, especially my shoulders..

I've known all along about the possible side effects associated with taking a statin as one's cholesterol buster, but I've been on it for years without a problem.. Woke up a little sore one morning and it's only gotten worse -- to the point when I saw my Neuro a couple weeks ago he sent me for shoulder MRIs.. Don't know the results yet..

Needless to say I've stopped taking it (Crestor..) Five days, no noticable change.. Took it for a long time though, so maybe it still needs more clearing time..?

I'm aware of the other maladies with these same symptoms.. Makes sense to start with the one having the highest probability of being the causative agent though, so that's where I am.. No sense looking for an unknown when there's a known already in the mix, right..?

If any of you have had a similar reaction to a statin I'd appreciate hearing from you, thanks.. If you don't want to talk about it in a public forum a PM would be fine.. It's a bit over a week until my next regular Dr. app't.. If this isn't on the mend by then and/or he has no ideas, guess I'll be looking for a rheumatologist..

Thanks,

Swamp

( my opinion) I never believed in them- plenty of bad press about it( not to mention the whole bogus paradigm of limiting cholesterol intake reduces overall risk/continued development of arteriosclerosis).Search "Mercola statins" yields "

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mercola%20statins

Statins - Side Effects and Its Health Risks | Mercola.com
statins.mercola.com/
Read articles about statins and the risk and effects of statins to your health.
The Ugly Side of Statins: What You Should Know - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/sites/.../10/.../statin-cholesterol-lowering-drugs.aspx
Oct 9, 2013 - One in four Americans over the age of 45 now takes statins, typically for the primary prevention of heart attacks and strokes. Traditionally ...
Study Reveals Statins Not Very Effective or Safe - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../deception-statins-effectiveness.aspx

Mar 18, 2015 - There is far more that goes into your risk of heart disease than your cholesterol levels… and there is evidence showing that statins may actually ...................................................................

My dad took Mevacor and a bunch of other statins for years, never a butter/eggs/bacon eater- always a tub of some "cant believe it's not butter crap" in the fridge , swore off red meat. Despite all that he kept on plaquin' up to the point of needing 4 stents in his ticker.

Aspirin too, but he bled too easy- didn't matter, as the "gods" at Kaiser said he should take it. I told him he was killing himself with both- aspirin puts you at risk for hemorraggic stroke( which is what he died of).

Myself, I'm not shy of ingesting a half stick of butter a day with potatoes, oatmeal, veggies,meats,eggs... Always been that way and at 54 have zero buildup according to last carotid ultrasound.

Another intersting Google for you is

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=statins%20life%20extension%20foundation

Edited by weaver hillbille

...Read articles about statins and the risk and effects of statins to your health...

...Myself, I'm not shy of ingesting a half stick of butter a day with potatoes, oatmeal, veggies,meats,eggs... Always been that way and at 54 have zero buildup according to last carotid ultrasound...

I've read all those articles/studies and more basically three times: First time whatever was available when initially prescribed back in the mid-'90s, again in the mid-'00s when I actually began taking the stuff and again within the past month..

For the past 22 years:

My cholesterol and triglyceride have always run high; chol. avg. 110% - 200% over, tri. avg. 125% - 300% over..

LDL always runs high, avg. 120% - 180% over with direct always higher than calculated..

HDL is almost always within bounds, but just barely and always on the low side..

I didn't begin taking the med until something else changed though.. Like you my carotid MRIs showed zero buildup.. Until the time it wasn't.. Went from zero buildup to 30% blockage in the course of one year, 2006-07, three years older than you presently are.. I don't believe Crestor was my original prescription either.. Seems to me Lipitor was in there, and something else prior to the Lipitor too.. I honestly don't remember since I wasn't taking the stuff; I was just getting it filled to keep the Dr off my back.. I only began taking it because of the plaque buildup, and even at that I was only taking 1/4 prescribed dosage (I was NOT happy about needing to take a statin, but by then it was obvious I couldn't control stuff with diet and exercise alone..) However, since beginning to take it I've been able to keep things status quo on the low side (for me), even at only 5mg/dy..

Everything was fine, until about six weeks ago.. I haven't a clue what's really going on; I'm just hoping it's the statin, since that seems to be the lesser of all possible evil scenarios..

Incidentally, the thing you said about tubs / margarine.. You're correct.. Ya may as well schmear 10W40 on your bagel as that, since it's more closely related to motor oil than it is butter.. Haven't touched the stuff for decades; I'm a butter guy too..

Swamp

It probably is the statin, as muscle pain , weakness, , neuropathy are symptomatic

.. Doc talk to you about CoQ10 levels being affected by the meds?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=neuropathy%20statins

They call the md biz a "practice' for good reason. Your fed poison with dozens of horrendous side effects and they expect you to get better. No then you start taking meds to treat the side effects-then another and another bla bla bla. Listening to tv ads is amazing-I have a foot fungus and the cure will kill ya 10 different ways AND make ya blind,sterile and nervous.....John

I've had 13 heart attacks since 1994, I have 11 stents, and have had a 5X's bypass, they have tried me on everyone on the market, Crestor was the worse, I am now back to lipator, Musule aches, cramps are the m norm on all that crap. I'm on two meds for my rumatoid athuritise, one is quinine, the other is 9 mg of Predisone a day, it helps. I'm on blood thinners, and will be for life, Getting old is the Sh**s but that's the way life is. Grubstake

Seems like I was on statins forever. I started getting some pretty bad muscle spasms and increased pain in my shoulders, neck, and knees. Got to where I could barely walk. After I researched some on the net, I quit the darn things cold turkey about 8 months ago. Feel a whole lot better now. I take some CoQ10 supplements now and keep on keeping on.

This looks like an interesting read... where's my butter?
"Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Prevent Heart Disease - Evidence from 101 Scientific Papers Paperback – February 29, 2012
by David Evans (Author)"

http://www.amazon.com/Cholesterol-Saturated-Prevent-Heart-Disease/dp/1781485089

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/04/12/book-review-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-prevent-heart-disease/

Edited by weaver hillbille

They've put me on every darn statin there is and I felt like my life was over ... Constant cramps in every muscle from toes to jaws to eyeballs and every muscle in between ... Finally, I told my cardiologist that I can't take it anymore and would rather put a .45 through my skull as continue that poison! ... darn Dr's. reaction was that if I quit statins that I was reducing my life expectancy by 50% ... He wanted to try one more "new" version statin, but after researching it, half the peeps who take any statin are debilitated and crippled... I've had 4x bypass in 2000 and 4 stents put in June, 2013 after a heart attack because two out of four of the original bypass arteries collapsed right after the first surgery ... They really got after me about resuming the statins then and I just told them I'm done with those big pharma poisons ... Statins are the MOST prescribed drug in the world .... $ Billions per year ... Some peeps can tolerate statins , my Dad who had two different bypass operations, 6 stents, and a bunch of heart attacks had no problem with them, but about 50% simply can't handle them without destroying, completely, their quality of life ... If you have problems with them, dump'em ... Since I quit about 8 months ago, although I still have certain problems, they are no where near as bad as what the statins caused ... That's my experience with'em... Cheers, Unc

There are ways to slow and stop inflamation/ plaque buildup/atherosclerosis with dietary and lifestyle changes.

I hope folks that make the choice to not take statins, take it upon themselves to learn more about the alternatives.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/06/6-ways-to-reduce-inflammation-without-a-statin-drug.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/08/ubiquinol-benefits.aspx

66 take nothing but a Norco now and then. You are what you've eaten....or drank. Genes play a much larger part as studies prove repeatedly now...look at the few generations before you and hence lies the lesson. John

Going to be 67 in another week ... Doc was supprised on my first visit with him that I don't take any meds at all ... an occasional allergy pill (decongestant) over the counter and some vitamins is all. After first blood test he wanted me to go on cholesterol drugs and something for my type 2 diabetes. I refused and he was shocked to a point and then asked how I thought I would over come the 'need'! Diet and exercise will cure about everything unless bodily damage has already occurred ... such as needing by-pass surgery. I have been able to control everything that way so far.

Mike F

Much thanks to those who have contributed thusfar..

As noted in the initial post I'm aware of the other conditions having similar symptomology.. And who among us isn't guilty of ingesting too many simple carbs and wouldn't benefit from improved dietary intake..? Removing diet for now as a portion of condition / solution, we're left with four major causative possibilities: 1) Statins; 2) Polymyalgia Rheumatica; 3) Bursitis; 4) Infection..

Of these four, only two are capable of affecting multiple areas at the same time, are nearly identical in their onset and have a possible same (with a possible administering difference) solution: Adverse statin reaction and polymyalgia rhumatica..

If problematic onset is fairly rapid it is extremely difficult to differentiate between the two.. The most major difference is polymyalgia rhumatica has a low instance of causing joint pain whereas the statins can.. However, when one checks literature it is muscle pain that's noted for both.. PMR is hard to Dx because the couple of blood tests that can be indicative aren't always elevated.. Therefore the Dx of PMR is usually made by ruling out other health problems i.e. rheumatoid arthritis.. OTOH, we know the negative effects statins can have on the body.. The possible "same with a difference" treatment I mentioned above is while PMR should be treated with an oral cortiosteroid (usually prednisone) an adverse statin reaction might be treated in localized areas with a cortiosteroid injection..

In my particular situation, at this point in time at least, I've self-Dx'ed adverse statin reaction based upon both the extreme joint pain and the ruling out of everything else, as far as I can determine, that could possibly cause the symptoms I'm experiencing.. It is not the final word though; other tests have both taken place and are forthcoming.. I just thought I'd share with y'all the logic used in arriving at my speculation..

Swamp

NO one on the planet knows your body as you do....just listen to what it's telling you instead of rx away all your ills as they are ALL messages trying to inform you of a problem that needs attention. Pure simple and ez at times BUT soooooo hard to practice consistently-lotza luck with 60+++ bs...John.... golden years my anus...old enough to finally have figured out much but to &^%$# old to do something about it..perplexing vexing this is.....

LOL Want to get Sick ? Go to the Dr. Not gone in 2o some years and not been sick. Go Fugure ?

I have issues but I know what's going on. I don't need a $2ooo test to Show it. WTH ????

Edited by homefire

If I could just find a place to by it!!!

http://www.minutemaid.com/products/orange-juice/heart-wise/

I think your body( and wallet would be better served just eating an orange. Juice leaves out much fiber and other goodies.

The white part under the peel is good for you and sometimes sweet, too.

OK, then eat an orange and take a sterol/stanol supplement made by Naturemade- called CholestOFF.. Amazon, local healthfood stores, Costco, WAlgreens...

http://www.merieuxnutrisciences.com/us/eng/news-and-events/news-mxns/new-clinical-study-affirms-plant-sterol-stanol-liquid-softgel-supplement-as-effective-means-of-lowering-cholesterol-levels/341

http://www.naturemade.com/supplements/cholestoff#553Xd0k5zhXSGvAs.97

https://www.google.com/search?q=CholestOff&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS427&oq=CholestOff&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

"Good news! Nature Made CholestOff® Plus is clinically proven to help reduce dietary cholesterol. In fact, all our CholestOff products - CholestOff Original, CholestOff Plus and CholestOff Complete® - provide 1800 mg daily of plant sterols and stanols that can help reduce dietary cholesterol. Products containing at least 400 mg per serving of plant sterols and stanols, eaten twice a day with meals for a daily intake of at least 800 mg as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. One serving of CholestOff supplies 900 mg of plant sterols and stanols for a daily intake of 1800 mg.

Nature Made CholestOff products provide 1800 mg of plant sterols and stanols daily that many Americans need to reach the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Guidelines. These guidelines include 2000 mg of plant sterols and stanols per day. The average Western diet only provides about 200 mg per day.

Read more at http://www.naturemade.com/supplements/cholestoff#a9teaXBX6OBB57q4.99