Nugget Shooter Forums

Dark Blue rock what is it?

Use a magnet to see if it magnetic, if for anything else, just to rule out Magnetite. How heavy does it feel when you hold it? dark, iron bearing minerals tend to feel heavy, corundum not so heavy.

Edited by 4meter

I have some fine specimens from the Merced River, Bagby, found since the mid 50s. Orange peel, semi greasy looks, gloss and shape very close to all I've found-hardness will tell all-John

Orange peel, sounds like they must be right. The only other thing I know of, once I'd bought forgot how many lbs of tumbled stones on ebay from a CA seller. Quite a few purplish to dark blue quartz stones were in the box, probably the nicest larger stones in the lot. Some of that quartz can be really bright purple in color.

I don't know, I have a larger one about the same size and color of his above except tumbled. It looks like someone poured a very dark blue enamal over but not paint, is a slick oily stone. Doesn't feel like quartz, the center on the bottom side is exposed, a very light blue pearly even color surface with a silky feel. Don't have any photos yet, no hurry have smaller stones same color somewhere.

There are some other stones that have a much lighter purple tint but also very pearly looking surface. I'm not going say or guess what they might be, could be a quartz or agate don't really know or not ready to take a bunch of pics yet.

Edited by Red_desert