Nugget Shooter Forums

Extracting Gems from Host Rocks

Wondering how gems are extracted from host rocks. Can't find anything on this on the internet.

I occasionally find what I think is a small black tourmaline crystal embedded in quartz. I think some of these might look nice if I could get them out of the quartz. I know hydrofluoric acid dissolves quartz, but I'm afraid that it'd take the crystal with it. I did a google search on getting gems from host rocks, but youtube and google seem to be empty on the topic. I found a line that after the rock is milled, it is spun around in a water solution and then that will erode the stone and leave the gem.

Besides all the hand tools to persuade bauble from matrix, I would assume they're dug out from surrounding matrix by diamond saw/drill/grinder-cutting away what you don't want... THink Dremel but more industrial.

Here's a pic of a portable diamond saw for field use- just a Makita tile saw.

saw.jpg

Try this link https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS427&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20cut%20crystals%20from%20matrix