Nugget Shooter Forums

Skunk but found some interesting items

TomH

Hey all:
Dad and I got out today to do some detecting. Unfortunatly....the rain wiped the road out going up the hill and I didn't want to chance getting high centered by sliding into the gullys that were carved in it.

So....plan B...what was plan B....oh yah, Just go find another wash somewhere.

Hit a couple of new spots and found lots of old lead and a interesting casing.

Its 40 cal. and is a rimfire with two hammer hits on it 180 deg. apart. It has a H stamped on it from the inside. The other thing is also 40 cal but

is pretty small and I cant see it flying through the air very well.

Anyone know what these items are. Im thinking the casing is from Wyatt Erp or Billy the kid. I may be wrong though.

Really awesome weather out there. Go detecting!
Tom H.

post-25308-0-96445700-1452467889_thumb.j

Edited by TomH

Tom,

The cartridge is either a Henry or Winchester, the length of the cartridge will have to be known for a correct ID.

I'm also confused if it's indeed a .40 caliber, the only firearms that had dual firing pins were the Henry, the 1866 Winchester and the Swiss Vetterli 10.4mm Repeating Rifle, the Henry and the 1866 Winchester both were chambered in .44 caliber and later in .44-40, the Vetterli was right at .41 caliber but the cartridge for it shouldn't have a H head stamp, the length of the cartridge and confirmation of the caliber will tell the tale of which firearm fired the cartridge you found.

​Also the Henry cartridges were known for bulging at the bottom as shown on your cartridge because of the weak construction, which leads me to believe it's a Henry cartridge.

• Like 2

Tom,

The cartridge is either a Henry or Winchester, the length of the cartridge will have to be known for a correct ID.

I'm also confused if it's indeed a .40 caliber, the only firearms that had dual firing pins were the Henry, the 1866 Winchester and the Swiss Vetterli 10.4mm Repeating Rifle, the Henry and the 1866 Winchester both were chambered in .44 caliber and later in .44-40, the Vetterli was right at .41 caliber but the cartridge for it shouldn't have a H head stamp, the length of the cartridge and confirmation of the caliber will tell the tale of which firearm fired the cartridge you found.

​Also the Henry cartridges were known for bulging at the bottom as shown on your cartridge because of the weak construction, which leads me to believe it's a Henry cartridge.

Interesting Skip.

It is .825 thous long.

It could be a 44. the top is slightly bent so I could not get a good measurement.

Tks

Tom

Interesting Skip.

It is .825 thous long.

It could be a 44. the top is slightly bent so I could not get a good measurement.

Tks

Tom

Being that it's .825 long, that would confirm it's a Henry cartridge, if it's is .44 caliber, you can measure the rim/base of the cartridge, if it's a Henry .44 caliber the rim should measure right at ,52-inch.

The later 1866 Winchester used a longer cartridge because of as you pointed out the shorter cartridge of the Henry didn't have enough powder to give the .44 round the power it should have.

The H stands for New Haven Arms Company which made the Henry rifle and the ammo and was later rename to Winchester by Oliver Winchester who was a major stock holder in New Haven Arms Company, the H head stamp was kept because of the reputation of the New Haven Arms Company's ammo.

The reason for the dual firing pin was because of the poor reliability/distribution of the primer within the rimfire cartridge which was prone to misfiring, there have been cartridges found with 4 firing pin marks, where the cartridge misfired even with the dual firing pin and was re-loaded and fired successfully the second time.

I think there .44 Henry cartridges, from what I have seen on Google the double firing pin was because the primer system sucked it was fulminated Mercury and the extra firing pin gave it a better chance of going off. But I very well could be wrong.

I think there .44 Henry cartridges, from what I have seen on Google the double firing pin was because the primer system sucked it was fulminated Mercury and the extra firing pin gave it a better chance of going off. But I very well could be wrong.

Blake you are correct, I was editing my post as you posted to add that info along with some other facts.

Being that it's .825 long, that would confirm it's a Henry cartridge, if it's is .44 caliber, you can measure the rim/base of the cartridge, if it's a Henry .44 caliber the rim should measure right at ,52-inch.

Spot on at .52 :) well at least that mystery is solved!..

I wonder what that other thing that I found was....Its copper clad.

Anyhooo....even though we didn't find any yellow stuff today, we found a LOT of old lead and stuff others have missed...............so...if there was yellow stuff there, Dad and I would have got it :)

Just a great day out.
Tom H.

I think your right Tom I have 3 of those cases and they are all a little bent too but, 44 cal is close on my calipers.

What the hay....was this guy just going all over blasting stuff up!?? :)

Tom H.

Ewwww....do you have deforsters on your gloves? :P
Tom H.

Tom, I was trying to get to a spot I know there is nice gold. Just beyond the sign they stopped grading, and my truck was sliding everywhere in L4.... MISSION ABORTED :nutty:

Shot taken at 6700 feet

IMG_8391_zpseahbuquf.jpg

Skip is correct. We actually find alot of them up here where we hunt the gold and coins. I have never found one until I moved up here. It was special ammo for the Henry rifles at the time. There is alot of interesting info on the web. I didn't know anything about them until last year.

Dan

• Like 1

Spot on at .52 :) well at least that mystery is solved!..

I wonder what that other thing that I found was....Its copper clad.

Anyhooo....even though we didn't find any yellow stuff today, we found a LOT of old lead and stuff others have missed...............so...if there was yellow stuff there, Dad and I would have got it :)

Just a great day out.

Tom H.

That copper clad thing would be called a penny, Tom. :brows:

• Like 2

Glad you guys got out yesterday !!

Cool finds.... :thumbsupanim

We took the kids to play in the snow... :arrowheadsmiley:

Awesome weather yesterday.... Enjoy it while it lasts !!