Nugget Shooter Forums

Just wanted to introduce myself

Hello everyone. I actually have been following this forum for a while now but this will be my first post. My name is Matt Stempky and I am a 45 year old landscaper who lives just outside of Ann Arbor, MI. You could say that I am a professional hole digger (and filling them back in also). I recently reached out to Luke who I met last year at one of the claims. I was looking for someone to go out prospecting with and he encouraged me to introduce myself to the forum. He assured me that a very high percentage of you would not bite, but made no promises to me that are legally binding.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for passing on the knowledge and experience to those of us who are basically just getting started. One of the reasons I have waited this long to post is because someone else has usually already asked any question I might have and had their question answered by someone on this forum.

I took my first trip to Arizona last year (December '14-January '15). It was also my first time gold detecting and prospecting. I attended the Christmas GPAA Stanton outing where I attended a seminar given by a key member of this group, Bill Southern. I was hooked. I spent the next month jumping around a few GPAA claims and managed to find a little gold. I met some great people along the way - Bill, Luke, (AZ)Mark, Kevin H, and a bunch of others who may or may not follow this forum. I also met some interesting characters. As soon as my trip ended, I was already planning my next trip and how to improve as a detector/prospector. I still have not found a nugget using a detector but am in no way discouraged by this. I get as much satisfaction panning, dry-washing (who knows if there will be any opportunity for that this winter), sluicing, etc. I still have the GMT that I was using last year, but this year also added the SDC to my collection. I have not been able to get out much with it yet and cant wait to try it out there on the claims. I have also added memberships to Roadrunners and AAGP so I'm looking forward to trying some new areas.

Anyways. I just wanted to say "Hi". I will be heading to Arizona in a couple of weeks, mostly the areas in the San Domingos, Bradshaws, Black Canyon City, Vulture, etc. So if you see a Silver F150 with a darker cap out on the claims and it has Michigan plates, please stop by and say "Hi' also. I promise I don't bite either and I would certainly welcome any knowledge or pointers you sent my way.

post-27739-0-19257800-1452219060_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe think about a trip to the Rye Patch area also. There are several members that get out that way frequently.

You have a couple of great detectors and you will find a nugget if you keep at it. Good luck and hope to see you posting some finds!

Matt

Welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy it. Great people here.

Dan

Welcome aboard Matt !! :thumbsupanim

See ya when you get here.

Safe travels....

Luke

Good to have you here Matt..

Wish you luck on your hunts.

Try the sides of the washes......most peeps don't hit them :)
Tom H.

Welcome aboard there Matt, I immediately noticed that you and I live, fer the most part, in the same neck of the woods. Ifn yer ever interested in findin a

little Au here in Mi.? I might be able to help you with that. Got me a place just W. of Lansing where one can dig a little up.

Frank

Thank you all for your welcome, suggestions and advice. Believe me, I can use as much as I can get.

I am counting the days until I leave for Arizona and hope I can post a find this year.

I hope to see you out there and start putting some faces to the names out there.

Matt

Rockhunter- Thanks for the invitation. It would be nice to get out when it warms up here and find a little Michigan gold. Nice to know I'm not the only one in the area

Welcome to the forum..!

I'd drop some old A2 landmarks on you,

but they're probably gone or other names by now..

Thanx & a tip of the hat to the spirit of Shaky Jake..

Swamp

Welcome to the group. It's a great place filled with some awesome folks. I will give you one warning though. Most everyone in here gives good info very freely and honestly, but you will need to learn how to judge what to believe around the nightly campfires. Sometimes it gets pretty bad.

Just sayin'.

Patrick

Matt,

Welcome aboard, there are a lot of great folks here with mucho knowledge. I had the pleasure of meeting Rockhunter1620 in Arizona several years ago and he is a very cool guy.

Happy Huntin,

Jeff

Edited by pairadiceau
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt. Welcome! I'm in the LSD area pretty often so maybe we'll cross paths. I mostly use the detector. My prospecting buddy uses the dry washer more. Maybe we'll see you in the hills. Ill be in the white FJ Cruiser. good luck to ya!!