Nugget Shooter Forums

Is it some sort of Smithsonite?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but not collecting. I found this when I was younger, and wish i never broke it. I thought it was a geode, but Ive learned a lot since then is it some sort of mix? I found it in southwest mississippi. Things like this are actually unheard of around this area I think. What do yall think?

post-27813-0-78952300-1451879332_thumb.j

post-27813-0-30286300-1451879413_thumb.j

post-27813-0-77396200-1451879475_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum Dalton!

I think what you found is agatized coral.

It's the state stone of Florida, early native Americans in Florida having no stone to make tools with used agatized coral to make their points, scrapers and other tools.

Agatized coral is usually very valuable depending on how appealing it is to the eye, or if it's a rare color variation, you may want to revisit where you found it to see if there's more to be found.

"Agatized Coral

Silicified Coral, Fossil Coral or Agatized Coral are the remnants of primal Coral Reefs that grew in the warm coastal waters of ancient oceans.

Agatized Coral forms through a process similar to Petrified Wood. Decaying organic materials are replaced with silica rich solutions which, over thousands of millennia, under pressure, will grow into fascinating Chalcedony formations.

Chalcedony is a micro crystalline (fine crystals visible only under a micro scope) Quartz that includes stones like Jaspers, Agates, Onyx, Petrified Wood and Flint. Agatized Coral is one of the hundreds of cousins in this massive gemstone family.

Coral will fossilize in one of two ways. Silica will replace a portion of the Coral, creating geodes, sometimes with brilliant boytrodial Quartz clusters inside. In extremely rare instances water will become trapped inside a geode. In the second occurrence, the Coral is completely replaced by silica creating some exotic specimens."

"Agatized Coral comes in reds, dark blues, grey, pink, tan, amber and black."

https://www.google.com/search?q=agatized+coral&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTvP2xzo_KAhXLJCYKHaENBqEQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=643

https://www.google.com/search?q=agatized+coral&oq=agatized+coral&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Hello Dalton. Very nice find, lots of nice colors and interesting structure(s) to the geode.

Sorry if the pictures are hard to see im going to cut and polish all 3 peices soon. I can't really tell if it has coral on the backside or not, but if it is it's pretty thin because the light brown doesn't have any in it that I can see it's just a few crystals in the center were its broken that are micro sized.

Thank yall for the help and comments and happy new year