Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

March 2016 Nugget Shooter Outing

Ill stuff a couple of extra bags of firewood and some taters to share and see yall thursday night!

Looks like y'all will be having fantastic weather for this weekend's get together.. Seems the daytime temp is a bit elevated for this time of year, but I've always found the mid to mid-upper 80s more-than-comfortable when out that way.. What say you locals about days for the event being in the low 90s..? Still good?, or starting to push a bit warmish..?

Swamp

The weather should not be any problem at all.  It is a bit on the warm side but the humidity is very low here in the desert.  The nights are a bit cold and it really doesn't warm up until the afternoon.  No rain in sight for a few weeks, maybe months.  The drywashers should have a ball with dry ground.  When the weather-guessers say 90s that is mostly in the citys, out in the open desert it shouldn't be that bad.  Anyway you look at it, it's going to be a fantastic time together again this year.  Those that miss it this year are going to rue the day. 

Old Tom

P.S.  What happened to all my Emotions?     

• Like 2

Getting late to ask but do we have a general idea of how many might show! In process of making my chili right now and wanted to make enough for that might want a taste.

And just for the record i should be arriving mid afternoon Friday.

Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness

Mike:
 Dont know....it is a bring your own stuff to grill so the other items will kind of be side dishes.

Tom H.

OK Tom ... Thanks.

I'll eat two helpings Mike. 

Old Tom

3 hours ago, Old Tom said:

The weather should not be any problem at all.  It is a bit on the warm side but the humidity is very low here in the desert.  The nights are a bit cold and it really doesn't warm up until the afternoon.  No rain in sight for a few weeks, maybe months.  The drywashers should have a ball with dry ground.  When the weather-guessers say 90s that is mostly in the citys, out in the open desert it shouldn't be that bad.  Anyway you look at it, it's going to be a fantastic time together again this year.  Those that miss it this year are going to rue the day. 

Old Tom

P.S.  What happened to all my Emotions?     

Old Tom, I already rue the day/s of this event, I live too far away, but one day I will make it out there, I'll give everyone a heads up before I get there, so please have a drink of water handy when I arrive! :hiker: :Just_Cuz_06::desertsmile:

I can't tell you what happened to your emotions, are you feeling emotionally different than normal? :arrowheadsmiley:

I'm just messing with you.:4chsmu1: :evil1:

I'm assuming you're referring to the Emoticons, they are all still here, in the reply/posting box look up at the tool bar, you will see a little black and white smiley, click on it and a window/box will open up, there will be 24 of the 86 Emoticons in that box, just as before the software update click on the one you want, if you need to see the rest of them click on "Categories" at the upper right corner of the box and then click on "Emoticons" which will open the rest of the Emoticons in the box, just scroll down until you find what you're looking for.

Also after using the Emoticons initially, when you open the Emoticon box and scroll up in the box you will see the Emoticons that you tend to use the most.

Yeah, I found the little bugger.  It's in black and white and I guess at this age I missed it.  One can always blame one's shortcomings on father time I guess.  :old:

Tks Steve.

Old Tom

I wish I could go! It sounds like a lot of fun. I'm still waiting for my State Lands Rec Permit to come in the mail... Besides that, if I showed up with my dinky old Bounty Hunter QD II detector, you guys would probably all die laughing! I'm looking into upgrade options and I've been reading related posts & following links to reviews to the point where my head is about to explode. :th: I'm new to desert nugget shooting/prospecting & I have a LOT to learn but I really want to get out there and start finding gold ASAP.

Look you just come anyway you can.  We are going to laugh anyway you look at it.  That's what we do, have a good time.  We all started someplace and if we didn't break out sometime where would we all be.  You just get here and enjoy the hospitality and campfire and lies.  The state land permit only takes about four days to go and come back, but they will have you on record if the guy checks us and he can call into the office to check it out.  I called Jean another gal to see if she were coming and didn't get an answer, but you just get here and you'll learn a lot. 

Old Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oregal1976 said:

Besides that, if I showed up with my dinky old Bounty Hunter QD II 

Just hit exposed bedrock with that machine. Better than no detector at all! and its not like we all stand around the campfire with our detectors in hand. :D

Edited by Alwaysdirty

Thank you, Tom! I do need more laughter in my life - who doesn't, right? Getting there is the easy part for me as long as it's still light enough to find my way around up there. Timing... I have to work on Friday, hopefully no later than 4:30pm. I can sleep in my SUV even though I have camping gear. I can bring potato salad to share, my own meat for the grill, etc. My permit application didn't get into the mail until Tuesday, but hopefully they will have it on file by Friday.

Lisa

6 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Just hit exposed bedrock with that machine. Better than no detector at all! and its not like we all stand the around the campfire with our detectors in hand. :D

Hey, my QD II did a great job of finding gold and silver jewelry, coins & a lot of old relics for me for a lot of years. Admittedly, it kinda sucks in heavily mineralized areas. Unless I can swing a deal on a Gold Bug 2 or GB Pro by Friday, I'll just slap the 4" gold coil on it and pretend... and probably dig up a bunch of trash. Ha! I dunno about you guys, but if I'm standing around the campfire I'm a lot more likely to have a beverage in my hand than a metal detector. Just sayin'...

I don't like to stand around the campfire too much.  I do a lot of sitting.  We all have camp chairs aplenty and my hand does fit nicely around a bottle of Dos Equis.   No one gets out of hand except Bolderdash and Adam when they take to riding side saddle on the quad looking over a large cooler filled with beer strapped to the front of all places. 

There's trash aplenty here in LSD but the guys also keep coming up with nuggies also.  Like they say 'Gold is where you find it'.

Old Tom

4 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

We all have camp chairs aplenty

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for reminding me to bring along a chair! I was just making a list of stuff to pack - perfect timing! The only place I usually sit for very long is at my computer, but I'll take a chair over sitting on hard ground any day. I don't worry much about the young guys getting a bit rowdy; I have 3 grown sons and no daughters, if that tells you anything. I'm used to fitting in as just "one of the guys" and I'm still a tomboy at heart (no pun on your name intended).

Lisa

Hey alwaysdirty,  I noticed you forgot to pack beer.  Unless by water you meant keystone.  Just wanted to make sure you don't hungry out there in the desert. 

1 hour ago, Ahorton10 said:

Hey alwaysdirty,  I noticed you forgot to pack beer.  Unless by water you meant keystone.  Just wanted to make sure you don't hungry out there in the desert. 

Lol, I actually just wrote beer on my list this morning. I would have starved...

Adam, you still got the Extreme hanging around? What day you showing up?

• Like 1

Late notice, but I'm planning to arrive Saturday, or Friday night if I can get it together ... will bring some side dishes and/or dessert, not to mention beer:thumbsupanim.

See y'all soon!

Since my family and I are eatin' and running I tought I should bring a some beer to keep the crowds happy.

Any particular brands that are the popular type for this part of the world?.

I'll bring along bag of charcoal to help the cause.

Hey everyone,

I'll be leaving SoCal early tomorrow and hope to arrive around noon +/-. This is my first outing with the Nugget Shooters and have not been to the Jackass Flats area before. I just want to confirm that if I remain on Castle Hot Springs and pass Mine Rd, I will run into an open flats area where you folks will be. How far past Mine Rd might it be? Any help is much appreciated!  Many thanks!

Safe travels to all.

Mike W.

You'll be heading north on Castle Hot Springs road....  from SR74 in Morristown.  After a mile or two (could be a bit further), the road will turn to red dirt.  Keep going.  You'll go up a bit of a hill and when you crest the hill, you'll see a homestead on the right across on the other hillside.  When you start down the hill, look to the left for a turn off, it's before you get to the bottom of the hill.  Once you've turned left, you'll see a sign that says something about State Trust land....blah, blah, blah...   Keep going a couple hundred yards and you'll cross a wash,  Little San Domingo (also the start of Mine Rd to the right) .  Continue across the wash and up the incline.  When you reach flat ground you are at Jack Ass Flats.  Look for the campers and RVs on the right with the Stars and Stripes flying overhead.  It's not too tough, you'll get there...

Good Luck,

Luke

Edited by LukeJ

Just as a warning, ADOT in their never ending Loop 303 vs Grand Ave (this has to be a cost + contract at the rate they are moving) project of the millennium, from 9:00PM Friday evening until 7:00PM Sunday afternoon will have Grand Ave blocked from the Loop 303 overpass to RH Johnson Blvd.

The alternate for those of you who aren't familiar with the area is to take Bell Rd to the 303 north and have the pleasure of waiting in line to get off the 303 at Grand Ave.

From the ADOT web site:

• "Grand Avenue (US 60) closed between Loop 303 and R.H. Johnson/Sunrise boulevards from 9 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Sunday (March 20) for bridge work. DETOUR: Loop 303 and Bell Road will serve as primary detour routes. Please allow extra travel time and consider other alternate routes if possible."

Believe me, having gone through this a few months back, they are grossly understating what is going to happen with the closure of Grand Ave. with the statement :"...allow extra travel time..."

The funny part is there isn't any practical way to get around this road block other than Bell with ADOT's "alternate routes" being to head out west on I-10 and head for Vicksburg-Aguila-Wickenburg on US 60.

If by chance you get all the way down to RH Johnson on Grand Ave, you don't need to back track all the way back to get on Bell Rd.. Simply turn left into the entrance of Sun City Grand and cut through there. It's a straight shot to Bell Rd at the end and there's only a few stop signs. Once you get to the end of Sun City Grand, make a right onto Bell and you'll come up to the Loop 303 north entrance a mile or so down on your right.

Edited by AZ*GOLD

Its hard for me to process this much information...Weather reports, road conditions, directions, traffic reports....I still don`t now where this "mine road " is !   Maybe its just local slang or Ya`ll just made it up to screw with newbies like me...thanks alot !