Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Again about that Gain setting.....

Hi All, Due to the large number of folks that seem to still not fully understand the "Gain" or "Sensitivity" setting on their detector and insist by running high you are putting more power into the ground and will find more gold nuggets. You are very wrong and will limit your detector in it's ability to hear faint as well as deep targets. Many new GPZ 7000 users as well as GPX users need to read this and it will hold true for all hand held motion detectors out there for the most part.

Explanation...

Your GPZ 7000s Gain setting is RX gain whis is receive not transmit which would be labeled TX gain just like on a CB Radio and perhaps this will help it sink in and get your more gold. With a CB Radio if you turn the RX gain all the way up what happens? Yes static and the inability for you to hear clearly, so you back it off and suddenly the static is gone and the voices are clear right?

Same for your detector, with the gain to high even the GPZ 7000 is very noisy and unstable and though you guys that do this still find shallow nuggets in the smallish range you are missing deeper targets with the machine being unstable and you not being able to hear them interrupt your threshold. I have now had several GPZ users call me back thanking me for this tidbit because they have now started finding deeper and more nuggets.

I find that in most areas I hunt I rarely have a gain setting over 7 or 8 and often as low as 5 or 6 depending on location. There have been 1 or 2 areas I was able to run smoothly over 10, but that is it.

To set it properly here is what I suggest, Turn on your detector (any brand) and go through startup procedure. For the GPZ 7000 that means tune the detector, go through ground balance procedure, and now set your gain. I suggest turning it down all the way and slowly bring it up until you hear it start to become a bit noisy and unstable, now turn it back until it smooths out and you are ready to hunt. Don't worry what number you are on because it is meaningless as long as you have your detector set up to receive a nice smooth signal.

Kevin and I also explain this at our seminars simply because so many misunderstand the gain to be more power, IT IS NOT. This post is only trying to help you get more from your detector and if it seems you do not dig allot of deep targets in the field like you hear others are I bet you are one of those guys running a high gain and "noisy" GPZ 7000. The 7000 is not a noisy detector is set up properly and if you try this you will likely be amazed at the difference in your ability to hear targets much better in all modes and better depth. This is also very true for GPX, GP, and so on.....

• Like 5

Hi there all As Bill said it became clear as could be when compared to the Squelch on a CB :Detector: makes me think an SQ should be there instead of the word GAIN

Bill, this is what I slowly found when I started using my first PI machine. After using only VLFs for many years I was pretty comfortable dealing with some chatter, but I found that I wasn't digging a lot of "craters" at great depth that some others were claiming to. Sure, i was definitely digging deeper than with my Goldbug, but not what I expected. I simply wasn't hearing those whispers.

For me, reducing the gain and various settings so I was going smooth, smooth, smooth has really helped me with depth on my GPX.

• Like 1

Great advice Bill, thank you as it applies to us gpx owners also and for that matter vlf owners. I try to explain in simple terms like when your in a fog and you turn your brights on what happens is it blinds you. cause it bounces back..and you do not see. With regular lights on you can see. To much power and you will not see it all....and you crash and burn.

Edited by Relichunter2

Adam ... Like Bill said if you start at 1 on the gain(sensitivity) and slowly turn it up click by click pausing a short second or two between clicks until it starts to chatter and turn it back one click you won't be too low ... even turning back 2 clicks won't hurt. You just want to be slightly under the 'squelch' like chatter. Takes an extra minute to do it correctly but the extra time pays off in more targets which should mean more gold in the end. Hope this helps.

Mike F

• Like 1

Thanks Mike and bill. I've been finding myself running fine gold alot. Maybe this advice will allow me to run hotter timings.

Adam ... I have found sensitive extra on my 5000 working better for me than fine gold especially if using my 8" commander or 14" E. NF advantage mono. Try it ... you may like it. It is slightly more sensitive to hot rocks but not too bad all things considered.

Wow thats why I isnt finding any gold because I keep my beeper set at balls to the wall :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200:

Mike F is correct and you will also find that most folks that have been authorized by Minelab to give instruction on these detectors will echo our advise. I was actually just chatting with Doc a few days back about it and even on some of the other forums out there folks are posting to run gain high and get used to the noise to clearly hear targets through it. Yep you can hear some.... But you will also be missing many possibly. Try it my friends and you will get big smile at how well your PI or VLF will run.

Mike C ... I hear tell the gold just jumps into your hand no matter the setting! If it is working for you don't change but sometimes you just need to try something different ... when that time comes give it a shot! LOL!

Merry Christmas!

Mike F

• Like 1

Wow thats why I isnt finding any gold because I keep my beeper set at balls to the wall :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200:

It not that you will not find any Mike and you can run as you please, but these detectors will run smoother and get better depth with a proper setting of the gain. Thing is when set to high the GPX will be a great shallow dink and couple grammer beeper, but may miss some deeper targets due to the extra noise and instability. Everyone has their way of hunting, just offering helpful advise to everyone and not criticizing anyone....

• Like 1

I don't but rarely have I knowingly gone below 4 ... that was in a hot rock hell and extremely red earth. I really don't pay too much attention to the number but rely more on the 1 or 2 clicks below the chatter.

Agreed not sure I have ever been below 5 to tell you the truth, I actually don't pay much attention to the numbers and listen to what the detector is saying.

So, taking the advice of the gentlemen here they are advising me to take my 2300 and run it on 2 or 3 (not 5) and keep the threshold low, correct?

When would you ever use 5?

Mitchel

Basically, I do it close to the same but backwards. On 4500, I start at 15 and work down till smooth. Difference is when I get a smooth report, I'll go back up one and then turn my stabilizer down till smooth.

• Like 2

Yep Shep either way works as long as you are able to get to the sweet spot that gets that smooth purr out of your beeper.

So, taking the advice of the gentlemen here they are advising me to take my 2300 and run it on 2 or 3 (not 5) and keep the threshold low, correct?

When would you ever use 5?

Mitchel

It is dependent on where you are hunting as well as ground conditions Mitchel, The result you are seeking is a stable running detector with as little instability and extra noise as possible. Each new area may require different settings....

I used Bill's method after the Outing and found my GPZ ran very nicely...thank you Bill.

The guys that are running their detectors flat-out are usually very experienced and experimental with their detectors. They usually caution new users to start slow and build experience before going full tilt.

In 2005 I watched Steve H run his gb-2 maxed out and he always, always came back with gold...I could not stand the noise.

I have always advised people to learn to use their machine with medium sensitivity before they go for the professional max settings. Learning to use a detector is frustrating enough without trying to run before you can walk.

fred

I used Bill's method after the Outing and found my GPZ ran very nicely...thank you Bill.

The guys that are running their detectors flat-out are usually very experienced and experimental with their detectors. They usually caution new users to start slow and build experience before going full tilt.

In 2005 I watched Steve H run his gb-2 maxed out and he always, always came back with gold...I could not stand the noise.

I have always advised people to learn to use their machine with medium sensitivity before they go for the professional max settings. Learning to use a detector is frustrating enough without trying to run before you can walk.

fred

Hi Fred, I am confused by what you mean by "professional settings" in most cases the only reason I would crank up a GB2 would be to work directly on bedrock where depth is not an issue and looking for tiny bits. Otherwise I never run my PI or DVT detector full tilt. I guess the best way to actually hear the difference is next time any of you get over a faint target at depth, turn your gain all the way up and try again to hear that same target. You will likely find it is now not there anymore or almost not noticeable if you were hunting normally and not aware there was a target there before your test.

But yes many successful hunters use their own brand of settings and I also fiddle with settings allot to compensate for different conditions, but the gain I am very careful with and do not run it to high because I have proven to myself through actual hunting that it makes a noticeable difference in finds taken home at the end of the day.

OK, trying to grasp...this counts for VLF machines too.

I been running the GB2 wide open

I have been running a Gold Bug 2 since they first came out in the 90's. Actually I've had several during that time period.

On all my machines, it has always been set at max and has never been noisy. Never had to lower it unless I ran into a mineralized area and then it was noisy at any setting.

I dig gold shallow and deep.

Maybe it is the soil here? Just handles it better I guess.

I was not surprised that Fred said Steve ran his all the way up.