Nugget Shooter Forums

A few weeks back I spent a day and a half chasing pocket load gold. Working a cut the old guys dug I removed 8 foot long and down 4 foot to where they left off. It was quite the amount of sluff that had filled in the last 80 years. At the bottom of the hole I could easily see the two types of of rock where the old guys were following. I removed about 6 inches to one foot along the contact for zero gold pocket hits.. Guess that is why it's pocket gold. I did take a picture of my excavations but was having problems with the camera, it didn't save the photo. The last day I had to find gold so hit a old patch, I did extremely well in my opinion finding fines as well as many nuggets.Total was 2.6 grams for about 7 hours detecting.

post-1498-0-87717100-1450462285_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Well..........at least you know what's at the bottom of the hole :)
WTG on getting some gold though. Tough business.

Tom H.

Learning where the gold is not -- a hard path to follow, but nonetheless serves as a sort of reverse illumination. Learning where it is -- ahhh, now that is a sweet moment (and they begin to add up). Takes patience, fortitude, the basics of prospecting.

Often you'll find a few colors or a tail of gold first when sampling quartz veins or stringers,while looking for pockets.A metal detector won't pick up fine gold.If there was a small pocket of gold two or three feet inside the wall rock or back would your detector pick that up?One could easily leave a pocket or small species behind if your just using your detector....and just because there was a gold mine.that does not imply that the mine made any highgrade ore..or even free gold for that matter.I've sampled hundreds of veins over a period of 35 years and even when a vein shows color,it often stays that way....on the other hand I've had veins that only showed a few colors and eventually made a small pocket.

• Like 1

Swampstomper Al, I eventually will go back. I'm sure there are many pounds still left in the ground. Thanks David Wiseman I was just using my beeper and samples a few of the stringers will the morter and pestal.

• Like 1

Awesome last year I did a test hole found a good amount in the test dug up the whole area and maybe ended with 30 more colors lol win some lose some but way to pull it off in the end