Nugget Shooter Forums

Back from Q

shep

Well got back from a great trip to Quartzsite. Can you imagine someone turning 85 and wanting a birthday party out in the middle of the desert and expect people to show up? Well, John did and they came! His and Janes whole family, farthest from Homer AL, and many of their friends. Estimate was there were about 55 people there. That was Golden!

Weather there was pretty good, most of the time, t-shirt weather. Got some winds the last couple of days and it got abit chilly, but all good!

Got a little lucky, even with bum foot, was able to scare up 3 pieces of gold. The big one has gold showing in several spots and will go to El Dorado to be sliced, if he will. The little ones are 1g and 3.6g . All with modded 4500 and 14"E NF coil.

Now back to the grindstone for 3 weeks. ;-)

post-58-0-38564600-1450285176_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-26993700-1450285196_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

WTG Shep :yesss:

Glad I got to see them in person :)
Can you tell the sardine can story again ??? Please....

Tom H.

TomH, okay!

This is a lesson to be learned. Have pic on phone but don't know how to move it to here. While detecting every once in awhile your detector will sing out and you'll see a beer can or trash and you'll move on. Can't do it all the time, but maybe should? I was detecting up a wash this last trip to Q and detector sang out and about a foot away there's this old rusty sardine can lid. So as most in the past, probably should have moved on, but I didn't. Swung the pick over it and retrieved it. Ran the detector over area again and still got a signal, so dug. That target was the little 1 grammer.

This is not the first time. Tomonamission, years ago showed me where the Oreo nugget was found at Rich Hill. Wasn't doing so well, so hunted that area checking every bush. Detector went off, but it was a shotgun shell, retrieved it and still a signal. 1 oz specimen laced with gold. Might have seen it's pic where I donated it to PLP. Another time, hunting with Grubstake, in an area hammered, detecting along, detector sounded off, saw an old mercury flask. Interesting, so I pulled it out. Continued to detect, and under that spot, found a beautiful crystalline 1/3 oz nugget.

Point here being, Easy gold for the most part is gone. Need to hunt the bushes and maybe clean some of the visible surface trash up.

Just say'n, but what do I know?

• Like 7

TomH, okay!

This is a lesson to be learned. Have pic on phone but don't know how to move it to here. While detecting every once in awhile your detector will sing out and you'll see a beer can or trash and you'll move on. Can't do it all the time, but maybe should? I was detecting up a wash this last trip to Q and detector sang out and about a foot away there's this old rusty sardine can lid. So as most in the past, probably should have moved on, but I didn't. Swung the pick over it and retrieved it. Ran the detector over area again and still got a signal, so dug. That target was the little 1 grammer.

This is not the first time. Tomonamission, years ago showed me where the Oreo nugget was found at Rich Hill. Wasn't doing so well, so hunted that area checking every bush. Detector went off, but it was a shotgun shell, retrieved it and still a signal. 1 oz specimen laced with gold. Might have seen it's pic where I donated it to PLP. Another time, hunting with Grubstake, in an area hammered, detecting along, detector sounded off, saw an old mercury flask. Interesting, so I pulled it out. Continued to detect, and under that spot, found a beautiful crystalline 1/3 oz nugget.

Point here being, Easy gold for the most part is gone. Need to hunt the bushes and maybe clean some of the visible surface trash up.

Just say'n, but what do I know?

"Just say'n, but what do I know?"

After that post................you know a heck of a lot more than most of us do! :) and you passed a lot on.....

Tks for the sardine lid post :)

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 1

Shep, that area where JJ found the Aureo Nugget is a weird area... You can hunt it a hundred times for little or nothing then one day you get a small whiffle of a sound and it turns out to be a very nice and large nugget ... One guy I know found a 2+ ozt slug about 100 yards to the east from there right in the middle of the road... A fun area to hunt if you're a club member...Cheers, Unc

:thumbsupanim I love it when folks tell me don't go there it's been pounded to death. I even have pics of my bud standing on over 1 1/2 lbs. and he pronounced well that's it clean as a whistle. Then in a month I took the area out and in 1 crack pure gold with a 1.65 oz. biggie. Yaaa worked out rocks :old: John

Shep, you got some great looking gold there. Wish we could have made it to the party, but Donna and I are going to Quartzite Metal Detecting Club's big hunt in mid Jan. and could not have made both trips. John