Nugget Shooter Forums

CTX3030

Hello

Is a computer needed to use the CTX3030? Could care less about the gps function. Only need to be able to switch from one program to another without having to use a computer.

Thanks

No, you do not need a computer to change from program to program. I'm pretty sure you can do all program editing on the unit itself except for changing the name of a specific program. A simple switch from program to program is all in your manual.

Edited by spa in nv

No, you do not need a computer to change from program to program. I'm pretty sure you can do all program editing on the unit itself except for changing the name of a specific program. A simple switch from program to program is all in your manual.

Thanks. In all the ads they show a computer being used along with the ctx3030. Gives the impression one is needed

Yes it does come with software to do all your program editing on a computer, which does not work on my mac by the way, and then you can download it back to the ctx. I have used it on my other computer but it is just as easy to do the editing right on the detector. I just wish you could change program names on the detector as well.

Fred is right. Hook the computer up now and then and you will get firmware updates for the detector.

If you want other programs then there are guys and gals who make their own tone profiles and you can download them rather than use the standard programs that come with the machine. I know one guy who has made a couple of specific gold programs and he uses it for prospecting in trashy areas. Ron (CA) has had great success with it on gold and gold coins.

I've found one nugget with it and dozens of rings and hundreds of dollars in coins.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=29056&hl=%2B3030+%2Bnugget

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

you do need a computer to start-up and up-date the internal settings...you could have your dealer set it up for you...

fred

Oops sorry, did not know you needed a computer for start-up. Bought mine used so it was ready to go.

Has there been any updates for the ctx?

I also bought mine used but it came with the box and setup disks. I think about 1 year after it came out there was a firmware upgrade. It shows up when you log into the XChange2. If you don't have some of the stuff just go to Minelab.com and you will be able to do it yourself.

The initial setup is like any software program ... but just like you learn your phone you learn how to copy and paste into the metal detector's memory. The 3030 is considerably less complicated than my Samsung phone.