Nugget Shooter Forums
nugget7

Prospecting Drone

4k video of gold prospecting with my drone in Southeastern California:

Prospecting Drone

The video quality is exceptional. The stability of the video is very, very nice. Drones are way cool, and I would like to get one some day. I really like the whole concept or idea of using a drone to help in prospecting, but I just do not think it has any practical means of genuinely helping the detectorist or casual prospector. You showed that you could fly it around the campsite which is cool but you did not show what you were talking about. You did not show how it helps miners, you just talked about how it could help. Show a video of you walking the walk so to speak.

Beautiful area, the cargo`s ......and great video

Good call Adam, The drone concept is very limited and after doing some research on using a drone there are to many con's and not enough pro's for the prospector.

The bureauratz are pushing a bill through congress to require registration of anything over 1/2 lb. First my weapons and now my drone hahahaha NOPE. Insipid calif same same as bill on the fast track to be signed prior to xmas sic sic sic-John :2mo5pow:

A big problem, not unexpectedly, is the "idiot factor" in regard to drones. Although most drone operators exercise common sense, we seem to be stuck with some yahoos. For example, during last summer's huge Big Bear Lake forest fires some nutcase (or nut cases) managed repeatedly to ground critical fire fighting aircraft by flying a stupid drone into their flight zone. This behavior was repeated at other forest fire scenes up and down California and elsewhere, so it shows that irresponsible drone operations are an ongoing menace. Aside from Darwin awards there's not much you can do about idiots in the absence of some sort of official oversight. This is likely what triggered the legislation and regulations. A sad commentary on our fellow earthlings.

• Like 1

I can see both sides. Personally I fly small aircraft and am concerned about the stupid people out there. And yes, they're breeding. But then there's nothing I can do about that. Same with when some yahoo goes off and decides to use his guns for harm. I do not think either of these should be tracked. I do however think some basic rules need to be put in place to not fly drones around airports, stay below certain altitude, ... etc.

• Like 1

1. Those have those rules, not to go over 400ft not to fly within 5 miles of an airport.
  2. I fly both RC planes and drones.

1. Those have those rules, not to go over 400ft not to fly within 5 miles of an airport.
  2. I fly both RC planes and drones.

Not sure how hey would know they're at 400ft unless they have an altimeter. Then again, they seem pretty hight tech these days :)

Still, it is good to know the rules are there. No reason to have them registered.

I agree, I think up close to 400 ft it would be hard to see depending on size.

I could see it as having some value in remote terrain to backup/augment what's been spotted in aerial photo studies- looking for faults,shear zones, rock contacts/boundaries, old 'pushes'/brush clearing, or other disturbances not seen during armchair studies in front of ESRI or GOOGLE E photos .

For search and rescue of lost drywashers, too, waylaid by hourglassing handstacks or collapsed gloryholes

Edited by weaver hillbille

I would really like one of these and would definitely save time and help find the gravels I'm looking for quicker, but I'd rather spend the money on a down payment on a Minelab PI detector.

I wouldn't be surprised if that prospector if he didn't know you were there, pulled a shotgun out and downed the drone. To me that would be like putting a GPS tracker on my car to find where my "secret" spot is. Especially getting a close up of his take as he's panning his cons.

You nailed it with the "idiot factor', Micro Nugget..! Yer not supposed to point a green laser at an airplane (pilot) either, yet some nights there's still three dozen reported incidents.. Who needs to worry about terrorists when we already have a Nationwide "Duh Squad" running amok..

If folks would follow the two simple rules in regard to personal drones Rick pointed out ( 1. 400 foot max altitude; 2. No flying within 5 miles of an airport, ) there would be no problem.. It's instances like, for example, when a commercial airliner pilot at 2,000 feet on final landing approach radios the tower to let them know he's being paced by a personal drone that ya know it's only a matter of time until hardcore restrictive measures are enacted..

All it takes is a couple dozen morons scattered around the country to get otherwise unwarranted regulations enacted..

Swamp

• Like 3

I've personally seen one used to get fantastic video of a friend's claim that is very difficult to get into. From the road above we were able to locate potential areas to drop a dredge in, as well as locate good areas of water far up the canyon in both directions without having to hike down first. I personally think they can be a great tool, not to mention a lot of fun!.. the video is very impressive especially considering how windy it was that day the video was perfectly smooth.

A10 did you by an chance get the make and info on that drone?

My dad has 3 of the phantoms, I think he is going to sell one that has a camera and monitor but not sure.

I ran into a guy way out in the middle of nowhere, that was using a drone like yours to fly up and down some limestone cliffs in Nevada, looking for caves. I'm sure whatever he found in these caves he was either collecting or selling, as I asked him does he go into the caves he finds, and he says no, but I noticed there was climbing gear in his truck.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks AU I'm all over it. That would sure be handy for me.

You bet, Don. They do look interesting. I've got just the place, actually a couple of them, that this just fits the ticket to

get a better view of what I need to see. I just have to wait until after the holiday spending for family and grandkids.

Then I can sped a little for me! :thumbsupanim

This is one of those toys you get the grandkids so you can use it too. They love it helping Grandpa find the gold/treasures/whatever as adventure rules the day. GREAT invention but looks the few idjets will ruin it for the many as usual....John

Dave, the drones would be great for caving. I used to be with an Arizona club that did a lot of caving. Very similar hobby to prospecting. You look at geology to find the cave areas, you look at the plants which sometimes help, and when you find a cave it is kept as secret as a gold patch. Very similar concepts and both have smart groups of people. I could definitely see using the drone to find an entrance so you're not having to pendulum rappel all over the cliff :) Another hobby where the equipment can add up quick.

I've always wondered what the "root's eye view" is on many a juniper and pinyon sprouting in boulders.... noting, sometimes, that the bigger trees, overall grew in the boulders.

Certainly, boulders will trap water and detritus- both nice for a growing seedling. ALso, the surrounding rock mass helps to dampen temperature swings.

Or the roots could just be following/invading a natural weakness, vein, crack, joint plane( or fault line/zone) that collects more water than the surrounding land.

, you look at the plants which sometimes help,

Dave, the drones would be great for caving. I used to be with an Arizona club that did a lot of caving. Very similar hobby to prospecting. You look at geology to find the cave areas, you look at the plants which sometimes help, and when you find a cave it is kept as secret as a gold patch. Very similar concepts and both have smart groups of people. I could definitely see using the drone to find an entrance so you're not having to pendulum rappel all over the cliff :) Another hobby where the equipment can add up quick.

Andy,

The drone this gentleman was using he said he had a thermal lens attachment, and could see the cooler air. It was pretty cool, but sure looked expensive. I asked him how high he could go, and he said hes had it up over 1000 feet before, along the cliff edges/ mountains. He said he was a urologist, from Vegas. He did point me to one cave he found with the drone way high on a ridge, but no way I could Climb straight up a cliff edge to get to it. I know the area I was in, had a lot of Native American petroglyphs and Agave Roasting pits around, so Im sure that was what he was hunting.

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

Wow, FLIR technology would be great for finding caves. Barometric pressure differences usually blow warmer air out of caves. In the winter you'll sometimes see them smoking. Agave is the type of plant that you would look for in the area of caves. Like the trumpet plant for prospecting, it does not guarantee a cave but it's one of many clues. If you want to get to that cave, best to rappel from above but you'll want a longer rope to get down or one of many systems for climbing back up the rope. You should check it out sometime. I still get underground once or twice a year. Gold fever has ahold on me now, though.