Nugget Shooter Forums

Commander coils.

Ahorton10

I see allot of talk about coiltek and nugget finder. Does anyone run commander coils? I got a 2 15x12 monos, an 18 inch round mono, an 11 inch round mono plus several dd commander coils when I bought my gpx 5k and do far I've only used my 14x9 coiltek blitz on it. They seem like well built coils but do they have the sensitivity that the coiltek coils have? I also find the blitz coil is a little bit noisy, are the commander coils pretty stable? I intend to try them all out but I'm hoping to maybe save myself a little trial and error in the mean time. Thanks!

My experience go`s like this....

I have an older SD2200, and love my 8" commander mono because it seems to be extremely sensitive. The commander series are built tough, and work very well. The only problem I see with Minelab Commander , it that they have not jumped into the lightweight open spoked market . If they did , I feel like they would dominate. Only issue is that there is such an established market for lightweight coils already.........Anyway , the 8" commander kicks arse! as for the others , I would get them in a heartbeat if they were light weight focused , otherwise its Nuggetfinder for me ...

If you are using the 11 mono:

to locate a shallow target just turn the coil sideways to the ground and use the edge of the coil...does not work as well on deep targets...

big deep targets switch to cancel it will shrink the target signal...REMEMBER to switch it back to mono!!!

fred

• 2 weeks later...

Hey relic hunter, that's a coil I got with the package that I haven't yet tried. I've been running all monos for a while and have 2 10x5 joey could that I really like. I remember the dd coils being very pleasant to use because stability but shied away from them because mono seems so much more popular. That being said, is there really a big sensitivity difference from mono to dd coils? Or is it the hot sound of monos that just makes it seem that way?

A10 I use DD coils 99% of the time here. Many reason for that and a few years ago I ask Coiltek what the

difference in depth of the two coils was and they said the mono is about 10% deeper, which if you think

about it that ain't much when you gain better sound with a lot less noise. If you ever hear noise from a

power line or other detectors just flip the switch to Cancel and it is perfect.

A10,

I use Monos and dd coils, depending on my site and gold that I have recovered really determines which coil I use.Many times if its trashy with iron I start with a dd and use disc to locate the first nugget in that trashy area. Than I dig everything within the vicinity of the nugget. I clear it all....as I upgrade to medium and even at times my largest a 20" NF mono...just to see if any larger pieces dwell deeper, but most of the times I find the gold to be within 12 inches of the surface. I also have a small sadie mono I use as I get just a bit more depth. But to be honest my most valuable and largest finds were with a dd. If you want the ability to use discrimination and have great target separation you can't go wrong with that Commander coil. Of course adjust you coils to the ground your hunting. Make it a habit to use a variety of coils on those good sites and don't be afraid to experiment with you detector settings. I am not set on all the Commander coils for many reasons and have no brand preference, but I pick the best of all brands. I would also suggest using Detech coils ...in particular the 10x15 Mono..its a KILLER and a WINNER. This coil I would confidently say it has found me the most gold,not in weight ..but shear amount in number. My go to coils are as follows, 10x15 Detech Mono, 10x5 Commander dd, sadie mono NF, and now I am planning to buy the Detech 14 Mono as its waterproof and I hear great things about it. Hope this helps.

Garimpo,

I am sold on the quality of Detech....I may just end up with both the new Mono and DD they have available with the new and improved coil technology. And both waterproof....that's a plus in wet or moist conditions. Here's a little chicken I found the other day.... :) with the Detech.post-22658-0-18179600-1450731191_thumb.j