Nugget Shooter Forums

A few cool Gold Rush Relics!

In 50+ years of detecting/mining I've never heard/seen anyone find so many varied belt buckles??? Strange indeed as I've found some but yours are amazing finds in good numbers and condition. What do you attribute to such a quantity???thanx for yet another cool video-respect-John

We hunt sites that date 1850-60. These buckles all date in that time period. You get into sites 1860+ and the buckles disappear for the most part. I don't think the thin brass buckles were strong enough to last very long so they ended up in the trash sites or just discarded in the 1850s.

Many of the heavier cast buckles did survive longer and they turn up in newer sites and even turn up in some civil war camps.

WTG man.............your on a good site. Boots on the ground, hitting it hard and finding stuff. :)

Awesome finds.
GL to you!!
Tom H.

Ron,

I was gonna PM you about this, but I think it's something you can answer in the forum since

it doesn't divulge any location information..

Of the areas you guys have worked, what approx. % are open lands vs claims vs owner permission..?

Thanks,

Swamp