Nugget Shooter Forums

More sweetness -- y'all continue to kill it..!

NIce 1858-S dime.. Wish I could see the word "Liberty" better on her shield in the snap

in order to get closer to a true grade, but even with the obverse dings which aren't your fault

and the rubbing around Her Lady (which may or may not have been done by y'all, meaning good

restraint in the field for not rubbing but not so sure about during later cleaning - patience grasshoppers;

coins are not the same as relics when it comes to that,) it's still at the very least an extremely strong F,

probably makes VF due to its other attributes.. More than a bit of a rarity, that one..

When you're hot you're hot..! :D

Swamp

Yes she was, and has been duly noted..

It makes me sad every time I see a vid where someone finds an obviously old coin and the first thing

they do is either begin rubbing it with a gloved hand or just as bad picking at it with their thumb nail

to see the date..

It's like saying: "Hey, I just found an old coin..! Let me see if I can immediately cut its worth in half

by adding a bunch of scratches to it.."

Swamp

It's like saying: "Hey, I just found an old coin..! Let me see if I can immediately cut its worth in half

by adding a bunch of scratches to it.."

Swamp

I understand your viewpoint, but the reality is the value has already been cut in half due to it being in the ground for 100+ years. Detected coins are always debated regarding numismatic value and I agree--no reason to add more scratches to a good coin. We do see a lot more in person vs what is seen in the video. We usually have a pretty good idea of the condition before we start rubbing or looking for a date. We do "Field Clean" a lot of the coins we find, but we usually know what condition they are in before doing so. If we think there is good detail we slow down and are a bit more cautious, but on a worn out seated dime--it will get a "rinse" and a date will be revealed in the field. Value of these findings are probably more important to my kids than they are to me because I will be long gone once they start selling all this stuff-- But I do mark the better items in regards to value so they can at least maximize their inheritance!! LOL

Edited by Ron (CA)

I have several "dug" gold coins that are graded AU-58. Are you saying that they are only worth half as much as an AU-58 that was not dug?

A dug gold coin is much, much different than a dug silver or copper coin, gold is usually not affected at all from being in the ground 100 or even a 1000 years, not the same for silver and copper coins, they will almost always degrade to a degree or worst from the metal's corrosive reaction to the soil contents.