Nugget Shooter Forums

Cooling down, Need a gun for detecting

Capt.Obvious

In the southern california desert it is cooling down enough for me to start metal detecting with my new Garret Ace 250 . I hear that there is smuggling in this area and would like to carry a gun of some sort. I was thinking about getting a desert eagle 44 magnum but maybe you kind folks have some suggestions on what to bring with me

Have you considered renting a few different types at a range to get the feel of them,,,and investigated ammo costs?

YOu could be Paul Bunyan or Barney Fife- as far as build- think "they" might like different guns?

Ownership does not constitute proficiency. With that in mind the DE would be the last thing a novice should attempt to become proficient with. Not to mention people may ridicule you to thinking that you are compensating for lacking something else.. :)

A good double action revolver may be something you might consider. You pull the trigger it goes bang every time.

I suggest as above, go someplace try some different weapons, find one that points good for you feels good in your hand and get some TRAINING.

On that I'm out..

Take time to use a gun after you get it. Does no good to carry it if you can't remember how to use it when you need it.

Consider getting a concealed carry permit. You will need to pass a handgun safety test to buy a handgun.

This is the one I carry: http://www.easybakegunclub.com/guns/2120/Browning%3A-BDA-.380.html

This is a double action for the first shot.... semi auto after that. I carry one in the chamber all the time(concealed carry) along with my 13 shot clip. (newer guns 10 shot clip, or smaller) It is made by Beretta and stamped as such.

You can opt for a larger caliber.

Capt.Obvious - Not sure how the 44 Mag is but when I shot the .50 cal Desert Eagle, I could barely hit the broad side of a barn. Way too much power. When I'm out I only carry a small pistol. Something I shoot very well with. Anything too large will affect my PI detector anyways. I don't think you'll have this problem. My opinion is to bring something light and something you shoot proficiently with. Good luck!!

I heard a S&W 500 revolver is a nice little pea shooter?
Tom H.

CO from your post I assume that you live in CA., all good advise above but for someone new like yourself go

to a gun range that give the school for conceled carry. Then you'll have the require training to buy a gun and

also know much more about what gun to buy. Going big for a conceled carry is nuts. Also not good for open

carry when detecting. Check the rules where you live and are going to prospect, you'll learn those in the CCW

school. Some states allow open carry in the cities and in the country side, make sure your in the know and

follow the rules.

Revolvers vs Semi-auto: what ever you choose stick with the major manufactors for a top quality gun. I prefer

the semi-auto

over the revolver because of the increase in rounds carried in the gun. At the gun range test both types.

Happy beeping and always hope you never need to use your gun but be ready in case you do.

I think it would be rare to encounter only one or two trouble makers in the area your talking about. Out

numbered is not a good thing. In most cases the best defense is your FEET! At the first hint of trouble

let your feet do their thing. Even if you win a gun fight there's bad reprocussions to face later.

The desert eagle will get heavy after a bit. Get something that is not real heavy and practice with it.

I carry a canick Stingray....9mm 15rnd mag and double action for fist shot then semi for the rest.

Yet another new asinine permit in kalif to own ANY weapon long or short. FIRST is your budget as ammo costs have skyrocketed as the gubermint has bought up many many 100s a millions of rounds for use against us. I prefer a nice simple Ruger .357 mag with Teflon impregnated bifurcated wax coated rounds to bring down anything and everything I'd ever need to decease and desist. Weight is a huge factor also as hauling around a massive 50 cal hand cannon/44-45 mag same same,too much bang not needed but mine is bigger than yours insanity. Take care , take classes(mandated to get permit to buy anyhow)as the life you save might well be your own-lotza luck-John

By the time you realize you need a gun they will have you hog-tied or shot-that is if you are really paying attention to your detector...(a little american arms derringer is all you need and it won't wear you out..)

Stay out of any State Park, detecting is never allowed.

If you park in certain areas of National Forrest you will need a day pass or an old-folks pass that is free and forever-

do your homework

fred

Why you're willing to go big$ with a gun and small$ on the detector.

At best the Ace is an entry point coin machine, for a few dollars more consider a detector that actually has a prospecting mode or is a dedicated nugget machine.

Here is a link to Steve H's detector reviews. Great source for unbiased expert opinions.

If you consider a 22, get a 22 mag.

CCW training did not qualify for buying a gun(at least in my case). I still had to take the handgun safety test.

I was registering a handgun, not buying. Same difference.

I carry on my hip a Smith and Wesson model 60-357 magnum revolver for Bear encounter while detecting on my claim, it is just the right size and weight for me.

I also carry Bear spray that shoots 30 feet away.

I struggle with possible bad guy human encounter, if I shoot someone, I have to prove self defense, if I spray someone then it's a minor offense. Bears can't sue me.

I just bought a S&W M&P 40 cal. Great carry gun, Also have a 22 Mag mini revoler, I carry detecting. Snake shot in the first two. Grubstake

As an individual who is much more concerned with critter encounters of the no-legged or four-legged varieties than the two-legged genus, I personally opt for a small light .38 cal. Depending which one I'm carrying the first two are rat/snake shot and the next three or four are semi wadcutters.. Even though I prefer snake avoidance or chasing over shooting, since normally by the time you realize you have a problem you've already had the problem so are hoping it struck your snake guardz instead of flesh, this is still the way I load up due to a possible aggressive non-striking and non-yielding meeting..

Everything the other fellows have said about going to a range, checking out various weaponry to find the piece right for you, taking a gun course (so may as well make it the CCW) etc. is definitely pre-requisite.. The piece you are/were considering is too much to be lugging around while prospecting as well.. The only thing I would add is putting in time at the range to find the ammo that's right for you too.. While this isn't as necessary with longer barreled hand guns it makes a huge difference with snubs.. Everything I've ever put through mine has a different flight pattern, enough so that at 50 feet I might not only completely miss a standard target but also in the opposite direction I was expecting.. I've found semi wadcutters work for me across the board, reloads as well as new.. If one is wearing a snub while prospecting, one better be able to hit something further away than 5 feet..

You mentioned a .22.. Not as weak as it sounds.. I have a pocket pistol stuffed in my pouch (yes, I have a CCW..) It is a .25 though, not a .22 -- purchased back when ammo was much cheaper than it is today.. In hindsight I now kinda wish I had gotten the rimfire instead of the center fire, but that's nit-picking.. This is a sweet accurate little Baretta and it will put something or someone down; don't let the small caliber fool you.. It isn't my open wear piece though, it's a backup..

Garimpo needs / chooses to wear a 17-shot semi-auto because in Brazil he really does have to worry about actual banditos.. Here in the States though I would think my biggest worry would be the need to stop a bear, and if I can't do that with three or four .38s following a blast of bear spray I'm getting mauled no matter what..

Swamp

Seems I read some place that there is not any animal on North American that has not been killed with a .22.

I carry a .22 a lot of times due to weight.

Been detecting the Southern California Deserts for 5 years or so, never seen a rattle snake but have heard of a few on some club claims. Never seen a mountain lion but they are out in the deserts. Every person I've run across has been very friendly. There's a few black bears up in the hills and around the city outskirts but they are not aggressive and do their best to run off.

Join a club in your area, you'll learn a lot about prospecting and coin hunting. Some claim owner who sees you taking gold off his claim with a gun on your side may

shoot first and find out you had no clue about claims after the cops show up.

Some very interesting replies here. I have worked in law enforcement for afew years. Been shooting for over 40 years. Now, let me say that a Glock with 15-17 rounds is my choice, 9mm +p ammo or a 40 cal. For you I suggest 9mm, very quick recovery time. You can own the best firearm money can buy but its just a tool and only as good or capable as the mechanic using it. Your brain, witts and common sense are your best weapon. If I were in bandito territory I would carry a revolver. Leaves no brass if I must leave without reporting. After all in court, he with the most money wins.

22 cal is WORTHLESS ! DONT BUY INTO IT !!

Shoot them in the eyes with snake loads, if they can't see to say it was you, case closed. Me I shoot to kill. One sided story in court. Grubstake

Snake loads rock as have them in all my weapons for the first couple a shots, then the nasty bullets appear. Rattlers only, oops bear/cat rarely if ever, is my creed to do the deed, all others I haul and release on my claims/properties to replace the rattlers I dispatch... John

The only smuggling I'm aware of in SoCal deserts is close to the Mexican border. I've never heard a single report of smugglers blowing their high dollar, high risk smuggling operation by shooting some guy wandering around the desert with an ACE 250. But, no telling what goes on in the head of a smuggler -- so I suppose that theoretically it is possible. I doubt there is a one-size-fits-all way to prepare for such a freak situation. As a general rule it is better to go detecting in a group when close to smuggling routes near the border as opposed to being a lone sitting duck should a smuggler take a fancy to your Ace 250. In fact, such a person would likely be much more interested in divesting you of your pistol than your detector. Just my dos centavos.

Archived