Nugget Shooter Forums

Found this in New Jersey what is it!!!!!?????

Not sure if Don A.K.A. Garimpo is correct or not, but the shape is right, some more info would be more than helpful for a possible ID.

Are you sure the item is made of metal, if not to be on the safe side and don't tap on it, scrape on it or try to stick a magnet to it at this time, an unexploded ordnance can explode just by handling/moving it sometimes.

Also give us some measurements/dimensions of this item, the size can help confirm or prove it's not an old ordnance, but in the meantime be very careful of how you handle this item, try not to touch it while getting measurements and make sure to keep all others well away from it especially children, if this is an unexploded ordnance it could be very dangerous or deadly to anyone within a 1000 ft or more if it exploded!! :th:

Hopefully, if it is, it's just a dummy iron slug.. But with all that chaos on the back end of it , me thinks the corrosion indicates something more than just a simple dummy bomb...

I am not and I agree with Senior Garimpo's hunch.

VIsual interpretations, only, will always be of limited value.

FIrst guess always takes precedent when it comes to safety.

Without other information to go on, retreating to a bomb shelter is a healthy decision.

:4chsmu1: But it could be a rock...

That's why I asked if it's metal, because of course it could very well be a rock and probably is since it was posted in this section, but I always err on the side of caution with nothing else but a photo of something that could be rusty and egg shaped!! :idunno:

Photo looks like this "rock" is on a deck board, so probably only a few inches long. My guess is this rock was in water lying next to something metal, all the garbage on one end being stuck together with rust, Bob

I didn't pick that up, at first, But is it a 2x4 or 2x12 board ,,,,, or something in between.....

"There were quite a few of them around"

How long is the "egg", Andrew?

Photo looks like this "rock" is on a deck board,

It's about three inches of egg shaped rock, I'm sure it's a rock and the slag lookin stuf has a bounce of little different colored stones in it. It was found on the edge of a pasture that was never farmed. It has some solid black areas and some rusty dirty spots that don't clean of with water .

Edited by Andrew812

I would say it looks like it could be some sort of ordinance, although I doubt it. The rounded tip next to a two be four makes it smaller then what I would expect to find for a bomb, but looks to be to be a rounded bullet. I'm guessing its about an inch thick and I'd expect a projectile that size to have a pointed tip.

I have seen ordinance that was fifty years old, left over from World War II that had a lot of concretions and or coral growth around it from being left in the salt water for fifty years. I've also seen spent shells buried up to an inch from either concretions or coral growth. I've also seen pictures of after EOD has cut a grenade in half with a before and after shot. The before shot showed a lot of coral growth, but once cut and the inner shell was exposed, the primer, fuse, and explosives were looking brand new. They used to show that picture when we arrived on the island in the late 80s.

One very nice thing about metal detecting in America is you mostly do not have to worry about unexploded ordinance. I did not metal detect when I was in Japan, but I did find UXOs every year from bullets to grenades to 105 shells just by walking on the beach or SCUBA diving.

That's a nice find. The round rock appears to be either a granite porphyry or a conglomerate with a some mineralization cementing some pebbles at the top (pic orientation). Try rubbing the gray, metallic looking stiff against a piece of white unglazed tile or a flat piece of white quartz and let us know what the color of the streak is. From the red stains, there appears to be some pyrite in there as well.

I did not know there was any "open" country left in New Jersey; thought it all border to border strip malls and industrial sites. I have puzzled over the States slogan of "The Garden State". Where have all the gardens gone, long time passing; to paraphrase an old folk song.

I scratched it and it's hard to say it has a reddish hue to it but extremely faint and kinda hard to catch. And that's a two by six in the first picture . I'm we dig holes in the ground for pole buildings so I find a bunch of different rocks and I never saw anything like it.

post-27775-0-19957200-1448405825_thumb.j

Edited by Andrew812

From your streak test it seems that the metallic looking stuff is the mineral Hematite which is cementing the large round cobble to the smaller pebbles. That also explains the "rust" stains on the other rocks. Which part of NJ did it come from? It's a cool find!

Looking at the New Jersey Geology map, look like the rock came from the Coastal Plain Deposits, Kirkwood Formation.

The rock fragment shows a very interesting history. A large fragment of grainte or conglomerate breaks off from an outcrop and is carried by a stream/river and rounded into the "egg" shape then deposited into a bay or estuary. The rock was covered with the pebbles/sand, some of the pebbles having traveled a long distance (well rounded) and other not far from their source (non-round with sharp edges). Then the mass was cemented together by the Hematite. Time passes, the bay or estuary retreats and then you find it.