Nugget Shooter Forums

gold in this stone ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I see that looks like gold in the video moves much faster than the dirt, so think it's either Mica or Fools Gold. Either one of them will look shiny in the light, but when the light is shaded with your hand it will turn dull brown or black. Gold will stay consistently gold colored. The other thing is if you can get a 40X or 80X loupe to enlarge it, on the fools gold I have, you can start to see the gold looing portion when enlarged looks silverfish with yellow spots. If you have bigger pieces, try crushing it with a pin. If it splinters, its not gold. If it dents, but not splinters, you're on to something, more than likely gold.

To practice panning, you can do a couple of things. The easiest is to add 10 pieces of lead shot in your dirt and pan it out and done correctly, you'll get all ten pieces. You can also scrape smaller chunks off the lead. I've been to a free practice panning session at a museum in AZ, and they used brass shavings. Brass shavings works also. Specific weight of brass is around 8, Lead 11, and Gold 18 to 19. Normal dirt will be around 3, so that's why panning works so well. Black sand is around 5.

No matter what sample I've crushed up, I've always gotten a little black sand when panned. Even the whitest quarts managed to get some sand in there. Honestly, I've not found that much gold crushing stone, only a few specks, and really not worth the effort.

Sorry man, not gold in the pan..

Your postings did make me take at least a cursory look at the possible gold geology of NYS though and there are a couple positives about your location:

1) You're near the N termination of the Appalachia's and as I mentioned wild Au has been found not all that far from you across the border in PA..

2) You're also near the southern edge of the last ice age's terminal moraine, so the possibility of glacially deposited Au exists throughout the state..

On the flip side is due to NYS' antiquated mineral possession stance there hasn't been much exploratory expenditure..

Bottom line is anyone who has found gold in the few areas throughout the state where that possibility exists isn't putting out press releases..

Swamp

Well I did a pin test the flakes don't appear to crumble looks like they fold and dent into a ball ,I'm thinking if it is gold its probably mixed with pyrite.like I've said before gold and pyrite travel together.So if there is gold there unless you want ingnots of gold and pyrite.gona probably need some other way to get the purity.

Put the Magnet in a plastic bag, cover the crushed stone with water and use the magnet to remove the magnetic stuff. Don't put it directly on the material hover above and draw the stuff up throigh the water. If there is any gold in there it will be easier to see with the magnetite removed, although I didn't see anything that looked like gold from what I could tell.

Even if the gold was mixed with something else it would still be considerably heavier than any of the other minerals there. It's weight is what makes it behave the way it does in a pan, that's also the reason panning works to separate it from the other materials. Gold is 19 times heavier than water, iron oxides are around 5 times heavier than water.

Even if it is gold, it's probably worth more as a specimen piece.

How much is actually in the rock? An ounce of gold may be about the half the size of your thumb. Because the rock travelled hundreds of miles from the source in the glacier, you'd only hope to recover the gold that's in that rock. There's lot's of things to read up on chemical recovery, but none of there are cheap compared to the amount of gold that is recovered. There's probably pennies to a couple of dollars of gold in that rock, which is fine if it's a hobby to you, but gold fever has sent many of us off on some odd directions. I've spent hours re-panning my concentrates to get gold that wouldn't even tip a scale on my .01 gram scale. I've also wandered off in the desert to go to the next wash, and the next wash, and left my water behind.

I don't see any gold in your pan, I hope you noticed with your magnet experiment that the "gold" was attracted to your magnet along with the other iron ore material, and I hope you also know that real gold will not be affected/attracted by a magnet!!

Well it was a fun journey but its looking like it might be the end of the road for this particular piece I'm going to continue to keep an eye out.happy hunting for you all. :D