Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shafto123

gold in this stone ?

I happened across a greenish blue stone when i was looking for arrowheads one day and said to myself i had never seen a rock like this before. thought it had to be something. so i did a little researching online and came up with it might be a piece of gold ore. There is some exposed yellow chunks and is very heavy for its size. Here are a couple pics.

post-27769-0-37270000-1447961945_thumb.j

post-27769-0-81612700-1447962456_thumb.j

post-27769-0-81407500-1447962597_thumb.j

I see on your interests you metal detect. Have you tried your detector on it?

I would first take a pin to it to see if it burst like mica. If I thought the ore came from a nearby vein, I would crush it to -50 mesh and pan the contents. If it panned out gold, I would even consider taking the dirt from panning it and send it off for an assay.

Before the gold store near me closed, they could put a drop of acid on it to test it to see if it was gold and how pure. They bought jewelry and melted it for scrap, but with a specimen size large enough, they could do the acid test

**Edit** Although hard to tell, the pictures do not look shiny enough for it to be gold. I've been fooled by a similar looking ore in my area that is yellow an heavy, but when I take a pin to it, it crushes.

If it crushes in the pin test then it is not gold as it is malleable and will not flake.

The detector does indeed pick it up. i tried the pin test and is a little bit on the hard side but with enough pressure i did get some dust to break off weather or not it is malleable im still uncertain the pin may have made a dent or my pin is now dented . I did happen to check it with a magnet and is surprisingly very magnetic lol witch is probably not a good sign but i read somewhere that rocks like this could be pyrite and could still host some gold and the potential gold harvest could still out way the cost to harvest it . so if the detector picks it up and is magnetic its got to have some metal in it you would think right.

As of right now i don't have any way to crush it is a extremely hard rock and a sledge hammer barely phases it. yes i took a big hammer to it i did get some sparks though.

Doesn't look like gold to me..what detector did you use?

I'm not so sure I would crush it until I found out if it was gold or not. It could have a lot of gold in it and be a "specimen" piece.

I'm not sure what an assay on the "panned" dirt would do?

Look up some prospecting clubs or rock hound clubs in your area, they usually have meetings once a month someone will be able to ID your rock there.

From looking at the pics you posted no its not gold.

The detector is a sears tr-discriminator alittle on the vintage side but once you get a feel for all the ins and outs can be quite the effective tool idk I was gonna shoot for something newer but went the extra mile for it just because it's old technology doesn't necessarily mean bad technology a larger coil is always nice though. Defiantly curious to know for sure if there's gold in there from what I've been reading I think there's a sporting chance. And if it is just gold mixed with pyrite get enough of them could have some substantial gold! I did happen to take a edge to a belt sander to get better look inside and was surprised to see a lot metal veins and grains along with a fine grained matrix of the material also and under magnification the yellowish color of the metal is relevant. I did happen to get a couple of picks witch I'll probably post alittle later on when I get a spare moment.

Here are a couple of pics of the interior the metal veins are reflected good in the dry pic i used a little rubbing alcohol to get a wet look to extenuate the yellow color of the material. If you can zoom in on the pics it shows a little bit more detail .

post-27769-0-83955200-1448049966_thumb.j

post-27769-0-73366700-1448050020_thumb.j

post-27769-0-07493600-1448050124_thumb.j

Might I inquire where you found this rock..?,

as in what state, part of the state etc., tnx..

Swamp

Quote "i tried the pin test and is a little bit on the hard side but with enough pressure i did get some dust to break off"

Gold will dent, it will not get dust to break off

Quote " i used a little rubbing alcohol to get a wet look to extenuate the yellow color of the material"

Gold has a natural glow to it in different light sources no need to get it wet to see if its gold.

After your new pictures I still say no its not free gold.

The location I don't want to disclose as of yet.I will tell you that it was found near or on a ancient Indian land.I still haven't found another one like it.so your saying that it's not free of gold! Well the yellowish color is seen by the naked eye better than the camera,the pics don't do it much justice I know gold can be seen in almost any light but if it's mixed with another metal it characteristic's may not always be consistent as with pure gold! Like I said gold and pyrite are sometimes mixed in together.That's my conclusion as of right now that's the closest thing that I can pair it to and if it is what I'm thinking then it is possible that there could be some gold how much that I don't know but could still be possible.

Sorry bro probably not the good stuff. Keep studying and learning.

I would try to grind up some more and pan it for the hell of it but no pan! Never tried it before!

curious to see what the ingot would look like if refined wanna melt that junk into a metal bar either way. wheres a foundry when you need one. :idea::cowboypistol:

Not wishing to disclose a location is one thing..

Not wanting to disclose a generalized region makes it rather difficult for any one of us

to tell you if you're even in a known gold locality for you to better substantiate your theory..

I live within ten minutes of the oldest known-to-man-at-this-time indigenous peoples wet burial

site http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/windover/yet one won't find any wild Au within nearly

five hundred miles of here, so your tie-in statement to ancient peoples/lands makes no sense

for not sharing info unless you're knowingly trespassing..

We can't possibly help you validate what you have if you won't help us help you..

Swamp

Alright I'll come clean about the location, its actually the oldest earliest Indian civilization found in NY,on lake lamoka the area is kind a like a everglades of the north and is the most fertile of all the finger lakes beleive it or not it's a small lake but its true.Set in the lamoka valley there is a lot of rocks tossed up by the glacier that passed through. I was walking though the thickest of swampland one day and in the middle of it all sat a boulder taller then myself and I'm 6 feet at least and at least twice as my height in length and width.It is on protected land but I grew up there and am kind of a native to the area as with most of my family so my nosing around is usually overlooked. I see the comparison oldest civilization of the south for you and I'm the one in the north most of my hunting is in the burial ground between the two kettle lakes.Well Mabey this will help give a clue as to weather I'm in a gold belt.you just never know some times I know not a whole lot of gold is found up north here but a gold pocket can always be a possibility any where.

probably a glacial movement, try a continuity test...I don't think any pyrite is conductive ( I am sure someone will correct me if that is wrong)

You are correct that gold can be found anywhere, especially if the glacier moved it...and dropped it when it receded...good luck

fred

i will see what i can do as of right now i dont have a continuity tester is the an easy diy way to do it? hear is a link about gold-bearingarsenopyrite mineralised felsic volcanic rock, or green stone is what i googled . http://www.scandinavian-highlands.com/projects/mauken-greenstone-belt-gold-project.aspx. i did check the greenstone belt and it does look like it goes through .

In the pics in the link on the lower rite side of the page look very similar to the one i have.

I've been looking up arsnogoldpyrite gold ore and green stone gold ore,or sometimes green shist getting quite a bit of info from looking up these rocks.Check into that if it tickles your fancy.Here is a vidya for your viewing pleasure

Also hear is a close up pic of the rough interior of a piece that got chipped off so you can see the metal grains .

post-27769-0-25112300-1448207827_thumb.j

If you don't own a pan, never panned and don't know what gold looks like, does no good to suggest that.

You need to find someone locally that can identify it.

Won't get done here... pictures are not working on that type of specimen.