Nugget Shooter Forums

What type of "drill bit" for Dremel to make window?

Still trying to identify GB finds from months ago. I tried to make a window with a diamond file but I guess I was doing something wrong because it didn't make a dent.

My husband has a dremel and I was wondering if I could get an attachment to make a window. Is that possible and what should I get?

Also on Amazon there is an aluminum oxide whetstone. Would that be better? (A lot of my 'finds' are very little and I would worry about scraping fingers).

Thank you.

A diamond file is made to hone a blade( fine tune it) -not necessarily rough-shape it- which is what you are trying to do by filing a flat on your meteorite.

Instead of going broke on Dremel bits, buy a cheap 4.5" grinder from Harbor freight when they go on sale or use 20% off coupon. THey can be as cheap as 10$... Also get a diamond blade to fit. EArplugs and safety glasses rec'd...

Dremel , I'm sure, makes a small diamond saw and maybe some "burrs" for their machine, but for the price and what it does.... well it's just wholly inadequate ,by comparison, imo.

I wouldn't buy the whetstone- you'll be filing for a long time.

YOu could also check out the following link https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/paleontology/clubs.htm

.....info on rockhound/geology/gem/mineral- clubs/associations. Maybe one is close by that you could join and then use their shop facilities, if any.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Pintrest. That's where my wife gets all of her how to craft ideas. Along with tools needed and where to buy it. WARNING fellers: if your wife does not know about Pintrest, I would do all you can to keep it a secret haha. My full sized shop is now cut in half from my wife and her crafts and woodworking stuff. But hey I love her.

Got a whetstone and some drill grinder bit things for the Dremel. Both worked well. Nice that you can take the whetstone out with you.

I had 17 'potentials' and I use that term very loosely since I am such a newbie. Anyway, none were meteorites.

That just means I will have to look some more! Hope they have more group hunts that I will be able to go to.

Thank all for the suggestions.