Nugget Shooter Forums

Lucky Son-in LAW

grubstake

My Daughter and Son-in-law just moved to Alaska, Fairbanks are, He just got out of the army, after 8 years, due to and injury while repelling out of a chopper, anyway, they have been there for just 3 months, yesterday they bought some mercury, a 170 pounds of the stuff, as he was cleaning it up he started to find gold in the mercury, well to make a long story short, it had over 10 oz's in it, They payed a guy $60.00 for it, because he was afraid to have it around. He just moved into an old cabin and found it stached in the ceiling. Grubstake

• Like 3

That's what I told them too. He is running the Mercury through a Turkey basting syrings with cotton in it, and then burning it off outside on a propane stove. Might be more than 10 oz's he said today he has only run about half of the mercury . Grubstake

Wow. BOnanza cabin!

Maybe he can rig up a cheap retort to scavenge the Hg. Shame to let it go to waste in some good fish.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mercury+retort

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 2

Grubby, you may want to tell your son-in-law that not only should he using a retort to recover the mercury because of environmental concerns but also because of the value of the mercury itself, here's a link to a science supply website that shows 1 lb. of mercury selling for $229, if he still has 85 lbs. left that comes to around $19,500, if he had recovered the other half of the mercury that has now been lost the mercury alone would be worth around $39,000, way more than the gold!!! :tisk-tisk:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/-P16860.aspx?gclid=CMvevdvb-sgCFZMvgQodgGcBow

• Like 2

Yeh, I had a long talk with my daughter, trying to explain how to do that, Her husband was in class, trying to be a certified welder for one of the oil companys up there. Suppost to have him call me on SAT. to explain to him how to bulid a retort. Its easy to do, with pipe fittings and some copper tubing. Grubstake

No need for 3X distilled,,,,,,,,,,, stuff is still expensive as all get out, though.

"Price ranges represent the low side of wholesale
and the high side of retail.
1 Flask=34.5 kg=76.0 lbs

Source - MetalPrices.com

10-4 on that, built one and used it many times at Bagby on the Merced river, You have to run that copper tubing down in water, I always wrapped mine with a wet rag also helps to condence the mercury, Grubstake

Grubby with all due respect I would advise that the actual metal tube not be submerged into the water, but instead have a cotton cloth rolled into a tube attached at the discharge end of the metal tube and then have only the wetted cloth go into the water. the reason for this is to prevent water being sucked into the tube as the retort cools and back into the retort which would cause a buildup of steam in the retort and why retorts explode when not use correctly.

Here's a series of 4 short videos on how to make and use a "metal pipe/tube" retort that is very, very much safer for a novice to use and has no risk of explosions that plague the traditional retorts when not use properly.

• Like 3

10-4 on that, built one and used it many times at Bagby on the Merced river, You have to run that copper tubing down in water, I always wrapped mine with a wet rag also helps to condence the mercury, Grubstake

Don't use copper for any of the retort...

• Like 1

Wow. BOnanza cabin!

Maybe he can rig up a cheap retort to scavenge the Hg. Shame to let it go to waste in some good fish.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mercury+retort

For 10 oz of gold he can buy a good retort !