Nugget Shooter Forums

Warning: Gold Basin North Rim washout

Warning, think twice before considering the North Rim.

For all those considering going to the north rim of the Grand Canyon to look for Gold Basin, the canyon jeep trail was washed out during the flash floods this mid-October. It took me hours of repairing the trail to get most of the way way in. Even then, I detoured before getting to the final ridge because I was tired of fixing the trail. At one point the drop off was one meter, which I had to cut down. The trail is all rocks and half meter ruts. I repaired the road in about 20 places. I even added a directional homemade sign, "Scanlon Bay >". Exiting it took two hours to go 3.5 miles with final repairs. You must have a high clearance 4WD. Even then it is a slow go and not much good for your vehicle.

I have spent 16 days and only found one Gold Basin. The area was heavily searched this past winter and early spring by groups of hunters. The easy ones have been picked up. It would take careful strategy and a lot of searching to be successful.

If you still intend to go, good luck!

billpeters

Greg's Hideout Road is on the other side of Lake Mead in Arizona. This area is in Nevada on the far east end of Lake Mead.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters

It has been verified that GB crossed the Grand Canyon (outside of the National Park). It is just an extremely difficult area to get to and search. It is also much easier to find GBs in Arizona.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters

I was lucky enough to get out there for a few days earlier this year and was there to watch "a big one" come out of the ground. It was a difficult drive before, I bet it's really fun now! I'm hoping to get back out there this winter before the land gets shut down to vehicle access all together. Once that happens it's likely no one will ever hunt there again...

GoldButteMay15-22.jpg

Edited by Mikestang

Bill,

With all the recent storms I bet this area got washed out pretty good. If there will be a bad El Nino this winter, it will be near impossible to pass. The largest complete main mass found there will be at the Gold Basin 20th anniversary meteorite outing coming soon, along with some other large finds made there. Here is a pic of a small storm we hit while there last winter.

Dave.

post-1046-0-83665200-1445914444_thumb.jp

Edited by DolanDave