Nugget Shooter Forums

Steve and Spencer Phillips Nome 2015

Since the price of gold has gone up I am seeing more of this happening. Mining companies, primarily Canadian as we have here in California backed up by Chinese or Russian, and American investors buying huge swaths of land and putting up signs of Keep Out! But than again, I see American mining companies doing the same in Eastern Europe and else where. Funny how nothing has changed since the gold rush , the little guy muscled out.

The Russian owned gold company ran off with the city's help, all the beach miners and bulldozed and burned the miners cabins on the beach. The beach has always been public and miners have shoveled gold there continuously for over 100 years but this year the gold company hired Pinkerton Detective agents to run off and intimidate the miners. The state did nothing to stop them. I think what they did is illegal but in Nome an individual can not hire a lawyer to sue the gold company, the city or the Eskimo corporations. There is only one law firm and and it has two lawyers. This law firm represents the three mentioned parties and will not sue them. If you hire an outside law firm you will lose in Nome.

post-27389-0-92163800-1445619102_thumb.j

post-27389-0-53811000-1445619145_thumb.j

post-27389-0-45265300-1445619191_thumb.j

Steve, I was going to give you a call over the weekend, but thanks for deciding to elaborating on the issues in Nome here on the forum, doesn't sound right to me, here in S.C. to the best of my knowledge no one can own the beaches, unless it's on a private island, the land leading up to the dunes at the beaches can be owned of course and public access over private land to said beaches can be denied, but if you enter the beach at a public access point you can go in either direction as far as you like, the beaches are controlled/owned by the state and as such belong to all citizens, unless as stated it's a private island, but even though the island's owner does own the beaches and can do as they wish on those beaches they still has to abide by laws protecting wildlife, such as not disturbing sea turtle nesting sites, eagle nests, etc.

Sounds like BIG money is lining the pockets of some of the Nome government's employees/officials for sure!! :2mo5pow::2mo5pow:

Is this the "Russian" mining company you show in your pictures?

"Nome Gold Alaska Corp. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nome Gold Co, a Canadian corporation in the Ontario province. "

Actually 65% Russian owned and 35% Canadian owned I have been told. The gold company is up for sale again and has already changed hands several times over the last 23 years I have gone to Nome. My main issue with the gold company, the city and the Eskimo corporations is the beach that they claim is owned by them. It is really a public beach like in all states I know of. This is the same beach that had 20,000 miners in 1904. How could this beach have ever become private since beach miners have continuously used it since then. By the way I am not a beach miner, I just don't like to see people mistreated.

I guess here's why it's not public:

State land begins at the mean high tide level. Since the average tide at Nome is 1.04 feet, this means that in order to be on state land the miner must effectively be in the water. All of the uplands at Nome are privately owned.

So, everyone has been mining on someone else's land all these years. Doesn't make it public does is?? (or, does it?)

Just like holders of large tracts of timberland have let the public use the land for, say 100 years. Now, they have decided to post it/install gates and lease hunting rights to groups.

No public use anymore.

I understand the beach was looking like a trash dump. People moving in and out and leaving garbage when they left. Someone was even mining it with an excavator. I can understand why the landowner(assuming it is private property) would say "no more".

Not saying it is right........... but, it might be

Edited by LipCa

The beach was not trashy. The only person mining with an excavator was the Martinsons for a few days on beach that is in front of their private land. I think they must think that the beach belongs to them. The beach is also considered and on maps as a road. Just because some of the self interest groups claim to own the public beach does not mean it is true. The beach is now and has always been public. This is the Poor Mans Diggings beach and unless the 20,000 miners were all trespassing it is a public beach. Nome has always been considered the most corrupt gold mining town and it still is.