Nugget Shooter Forums

STOLEN 10-7-2015 GPX50OO!! Iron Canyon, El MTN Paso Range, CA

Martin to Martin, most likely the police won't bother with a piece of stolen property. If they should recover it for

you then it will be months before you will be able to recover your detector.

Better make contact with the phone number, act like you know nothing about a detector. Is it water proof, will it

find coins on a beach, what color is it, etc. Then set up a meeting, turn the machne over and look at he serial

number, if it's your machine set it to one side and then open a jar of whoopass. A thief won't call the police, only

post hospital visiting hours.

I called and did just that. He is to call back in am for a contact place.

Will see

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just plain sucks, I have shared this several places and hope it helps Jeff. I just hate theives....

I'll keep my antenna up for any suspicious orders from people in your area needing batteries, power cords, headphones, etc. Doc

moving targets to me.... John

I called and did just that. He is to call back in am for a contact place.

Will see

Keep in mind that if it is yours, he probably will have company with him and possibly a gun. A theft of that value is a FELONY offence in CA so this guy is not gonna quit easy and there's the matter of taking the law into your own hands ! I really really think you should have the law send an undercover cop in to do the investigating and an arrest. If you take it from him and it is no longer in his possession the law can't touch him and the sucker goes free and then him and his druggy friends will be looking to nail your a** to the barn door. Just my two pence worth

Keep in mind that if it is yours, he probably will have company with him and possibly a gun. A theft of that value is a FELONY offence in CA so this guy is not gonna quit easy and there's the matter of taking the law into your own hands ! I really really think you should have the law send an undercover cop in to do the investigating and an arrest. If you take it from him and it is no longer in his possession the law can't touch him and the sucker goes free and then him and his druggy friends will be looking to nail your a** to the barn door. Just my two pence worth

Agree. With me in AZ and him in CA not likely I will get there. Ridgecrest Sheriff Department is aware. I also let my insurance company know of what is up. Appreciate all the comments, ideas and help form everyone.

Yesterday up near Morenci, a friend of mine had 3 guys all set up inside his underground gold mine mining and hauling out ore. Just set up and started mining his claim. Knew they were on private land, knew it was a private mine, cut the locks, pulled down the signs. Oh well, they are in the sheriffs hands now. Getting worse out there. Be careful

• Like 1

You know you might be right about him reading this, Kyle is on AZO anddoes live in the area around SAC. Not saying its him, just saying he does hunt in the Elpaso mountains. Grubstake

Well had a few sacramento locals call the number for the GPX 5000 for sale on craigslist. No response from the seller. Suspicious. Oh well lesson learned lock up, cable lock everything securely. The thieves are out.

Thank all of you for your thoughts, ideas, help.

This won't slow my prospecting down a bit. Getting a new minelab soon as Bill gets back from the outing.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Well had a few sacramento locals call the number for the GPX 5000 for sale on craigslist. No response from the seller. Suspicious. Oh well lesson learned lock up, cable lock everything securely. The thieves are out.

Thank all of you for your thoughts, ideas, help.

This won't slow my prospecting down a bit. Getting a new minelab soon as Bill gets back from the outing.

Thanks again,

Jeff

After locking you need to cover it up also so nobody has a clue as to whats covered up. A lock only keeps an honest person honest.. I worked the summer in campgrounds where we had to remove locks and cables at times. An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and a generator will zap through padlocks and 1/2" cable like a hot knife through butter. Even the bears we had to fool. An ice chest they recognize as instant lunch. So campers were told to throw a lumpy blanket over the chest to disguise it.

But when you get my age you have to try to remember where you hid it :old:

Sheesh, it's the last place you put it, Jim :4chsmu1:

you have to try to remember where you hid it :old:

Shoot can't find my keys my belt or much of anything else some days. Why I don't wear camo. Our Ranger is camo, I lose it sometimes, even when on the trailer.

As devilshjim said must be age. I believe it's sun spots. Need to get that special helmet.

Edited by azmartin
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

...could also just be a phone/email scammer trying to collect data to sell.

I don't think so; I think you got it right with your initial inform to the forum..

My guess is they're just waiting for the right pigeon..

I'm thinking they're thinking anyone who seems to know enough / too much about detectors

or is calling from 'too far away' without having a good story like you actually live in that area and

are only calling from far away cos you won't be back home for a few days yet and really want

that detector they just scratch off their possible 'sell to' list.. Even without the accessories and sold

dirt cheap it's still gonna be expensive.. So you gotta sound exactly like the sucker they've been waiting to come along..

Swamp

• Like 1

Has anyone called the Craiglist ad to ask for the serial number?

Asking for the serial number could indicate that someone is looking for a particular machine -- like one that was stolen. Asking what it comes with would probably identify it without causing suspicion. I'd like to see this case solved and the thief busted.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Asking for the serial # on a GPX5000 is actually not that uncommon due to the fakes out there. I was sent the serial number before purchasing my GPX5000. Might be worth a shot.

Nope nope nope.. Don't ask about cereal prizes; don't ask about baggage claim cheques; don't ask about how many of what size batteries it needs or if it'll recharge off of your truck's breaking cistern.. None a dem n more..!

What you're attempting to do is known as a Jethro Bodine, meaning when they look at each other after talking with you trying to figure out just exactly what kind of ijit you really are their only possible conclusion is first class..

If you for sure want to meet with them to see the detector you need to be a blue collar worker, single, with a high paying job, who's recently discovered there's lots of gold just waiting to be found practically in the back yard.. All you need is a high-end detector, but dang if you're gonna pay retail for it.. What kind is it again..? Never heard of it, but it must be good if you hate needing to get rid of it and are only doing so to pay for your wife's emergency boob job.. Your loss, my gain.. Are hundreds ok..? Cool, an early Christmas present to myself..! When can we meet..? I can even take a long lunch hour if necessary, since I'm sure you want to be home at night in order to care for your wife.. That's gotta be tough, bro -- sorry to hear..

Yup yup yup.. And don't forget the backup muscle..

Swamp