Nugget Shooter Forums

found meteorite-what to do

Greetings from the new guy-first post.

Hypothetical question here:

You are hunting a known strewn field and find a meteorite the size of a coke can-a nice piece. If you want to sell it what do you do? What are the steps involved? Does it have to be recorded somewhere or authenticated? What are the steps involved or what are the options available?

thanks

If it was found in a known strewn field, you can look on ebay to see average prices. You can usually average it to a certain amount per gram.

Dave.

A friend of mine did exactly what you describe, found a couple hundred gram meteorite on Coyote Dry Lake. He sold it on the tv show Pawn Stars.

Get your meteorite identified and it will be worth more, or at least easier to sell.

Edited by Mikestang

A friend of mine did exactly what you describe, found a couple hundred gram meteorite on Coyote Dry Lake. He sold it on the tv show Pawn Stars.

Get your meteorite identified and it will be worth more, or at least easier to sell.

Ok, but who would be an accredited person/entity to do that? Could one of the very well known & respected dealers do that or only a University?

Only labs with the proper equipment and trained personal can perform a proper identification. My friend's find was classified by UCLA.

If it's from a known strewn field pretty much "anyone" could tell you if it is a meteorite (anyone being a dealer or hunter intimately familiar with the strewn field), and if it's from one of the strewn fields with multiple falls, like Franconia, then some of the more experienced (way more than me) can make educated guesses as to which fall it's from but it would only be a guess, and only a lab can classify it and tell you for sure.

I see you are in Texas, in which case TCU curates the Oscar E. Monnig meteorite gallery and they would be a good source to reach out to with your questions.

Edited by Mikestang