Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab 4500 VS the 5000?

Hello all,

I steered someone to this website, because they are pondering which to buy (used). Can anyone enlighten him, and me, on any major advantages of the 5000 over the 4500? As with most things, it will come down to, is it worth the extra dough for a 5000. Or are there any con's to the 5000 over the 4500?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

MetalliKile

I was going to refer to the same one. Good info on that thread.

Thanks for the link Au Seeker. The only posts there that state any technical or noticeable differences are the mention of Fine and enhanced timings, and of the way it handles ground noise and EMI.

I'm thinking with the other comments on there that if a person could save $1,000 plus by buying a 4500 and maybe getting a good VLF to boot, that that would be a more practical way to go.

Again, thanks for the input guys.

Any more tech difference references are still welcome.

Regards,

MetalliKile

No matter which detector you swing, that's only part of the equation. Experience, location, technique, approach, etc. all play into your success or lack thereof. Some guys will detect a wash, find nothing and give it up. Some of us will detect and dig, dig, dig to even out the limitations of every/any detector. Just something to chew on.

Edited by Rod
  • Like 2

Hello all,

I steered someone to this website, because they are pondering which to buy (used). Can anyone enlighten him, and me, on any major advantages of the 5000 over the 4500? As with most things, it will come down to, is it worth the extra dough for a 5000. Or are there any con's to the 5000 over the 4500?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

MetalliKile

Hello,

My Dad and I both own GPX5000's and I have all of Chris Golson and Johnatan Porters training video's from the Extreme (I used to have a GP3000 and kept them) to the GPX5000. The primary differences is the salt timming was improved on the 5000 (now called Salt/Gold on the 5000, and Salt-Coarse on the 4800 which is supposed to be a minor improvement on the old Salt on 4000 and older) over the 4500/4800 and older machines, along with the addition of both Fine Gold and Coin and Relic timmings (only available on the 5000). The 5000 also has an option to turn off the ground balance if soil conditions permit for extra depth, along with specific ground balance option for really difficult soil conditions. In JP's 5000 video he also explains the improved Ground balance, EMI and detector noise cancelling over the 4500 and older machines. Both the 4500 and the 5000 have the Enhance timming and sharp timming along with improved versions of the sensitive smooth from the 4000 and sensitive extra timmings (improved from the old sensitive on the GP machines). Which ever machine the buyer goes with, I highly recommend getting both Chris Golson and Johnathan Porter's (JP's 4000 video is optional yet very beneficial) 4500 and 5000 videos a lot of good info in each and all of the info about the 4000 and 4500 applies to the 5000(Just ask Bill Southern he can get them, along with Chris Golson, Rob Allison, and Doc). Looking back a few years when I decided to trade in my old faithfull GP3000 I was considering a used GPX4500, or a new 4800..... Boy am I glad that my Dad talked me into spending the few extra bucks to go with a new GPX5000 instead of the 4800 or a used 4500. The 5000 has all of the features of the 4500/4800 and a few more with implovements included. One last thought about the buyers options is Minelab having brought back sales of the GPX4500 in the USA with an attractive price around $3,000 for a new machine and only a few bucks more than a used 4500, just another option to consider.

Just my own opinion both the 4500 and the 5000 are great detectors, but I see the 5000 as being the more versatile and flexible of the two (three if you count the 4800). I like the GPZ7000, but I just don't get out enough to justify the money and as of yet there is no additional coils or accessories to let that machine shine. So for the time being I will stick to my 5000 a little longer and enjoy getting to pick the coil selection for the terrain, and other accessories that I have chosen, and I am confident that a well chosen coil and the right settings for the conditions on a 5000 should be able to pace a newbie with a GPZ7000 in stock settings. Now if I wanted to keep up with old Billy and his 7000..... I might as well take an all day lunch and a few lessons if he'd teach me :Detector: