Nugget Shooter Forums

American River detecting advice

au79ramona

Hey guys, Heading up to Sacramento area early November to visit a friend for my birthday. Taking my SDC2300 and would like some advise or general locations on where to swing it. I've never been up to Northern California and the amount of gold bering area is slightly overwhelming. Any advice on what to look for, what not to waste my time on would be greatly appreciated. Would love to put the detector over its first piece of gold. Would be an awesome 30th birthday present lol

Take the Iowa Hill road from Colfax heading east towards Iowa Hill. You'll get down to the N.Fk. American River and there is parking at the river, $10/day. Upstream, from the bridge is a lot of bedrock. Bring a 2lb sledge and chisel.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the tip. Looking at a map, where Iowa Hill Rd crosses the American River, is that Mineral Bar your talking about?

I'd drive Hwy 49 between Placerville -- Coloma and detect wherever the 'dozers cut into the hillsides to make room for road construction equipment parking and materials storage back in the day.. They probably exposed an ancient river channel or two, never knowing what they were.. Just a thought..

SA

• Like 1

Al, bad idea, swinging or detecting around any road, bridge or shoulder is illegail in El Dorado County. $500.00 and loose your equipment.

They figured this out some time ago, not saying it isn't so, you just can't do it. Hiway 193 out of Placerville will give you a good look at what the Mother Lode System looks like. Sides of the hill show all the mineralization as does taking Marshal Rd. up from Coloma towards Garden Valley / Georgetown as you pass though the serpitine belt and into the Malones Fault System.

I could suggest David Moore area off 49 just north of Coloma, river access and old workings, Greenwood Creek put in is just a little further north and good access to the river and some workings.

• Like 1

Thanks GeoJack..

I was going to put something in that post about my not being familiar with state

and local R&Rs, but didn't want to get all wordy.. Turns out I should have..

Good info still though for others closer who may not be familiar with ElD Co. R&Rs..

SA

• Like 1

Google Auburn Recreation area as HUGE place to go with 2 forks of the American. Also SF Yuba BLM Recreation area is RICH and has the ancient Yuba River Channel of Gold intersected right above Purdone Crossing right out of Nevada City. Between these 2 you'll be busy for years. Caution is needed as homeless thieves abound all over kalif now by the 10s a 1,000s and the boonies are home to many-John

• Like 1

Hey guys, Heading up to Sacramento area early November to visit a friend for my birthday. Taking my SDC2300 and would like some advise or general locations on where to swing it. I've never been up to Northern California and the amount of gold bering area is slightly overwhelming. Any advice on what to look for, what not to waste my time on would be greatly appreciated. Would love to put the detector over its first piece of gold. Would be an awesome 30th birthday present lol

Ok, I'm going to give you the answer I should have given you initially but didn't feel like taking (read: wasting) the time to do so.. Since " I " didn't feel like taking the time, and I live 3,000 miles from there, I can fully understand why those living in and around the area you're heading didn't, aren't and won't..
Metal detecting for nuggets is by far the hardest way to find Au.. With that in mind, did you really expect anyone who has ever detected a nugget anywhere to buzz in with even as much as a general location reply to your inquiry..? Not gonna happen..
I don't know how long you're going to be in the Sacramento area, but I have an idea how much time you have before heading there.. I would suggest you use that time to do a bit of research.. I would further suggest you start right here on this site.. I'm willing to wager $25 you can find 25 approximate locations where nuggets have been detected within 100 miles of East Sacramento simply by reading through back posts on these blogs alone.. Ready, set, go..!
Then there's YouTube.. O. M. G. ! You should easily be able to find a thousand vids of where gold has been found within 100 miles of Sacramento, not necessarily by metal detecting but still gold none the less.. I would think every one of those locations would also yield gold to a metal detector as well..
Then there's this right here: The Interwebs.. You don't search gold nuggets though; you search locations of old CA mining camps, communities and especially roads / routes within your target area.. Separate out the public lands where metal detecting is permissable from private property, or get permissions, then have at it.. It's all motherlode.. I wouldn't overlook the fact you'll most likely be finding old coins and relics from the past before finding nugs either, not such a bad thing..
If it's simply gold you want to find I'd be heading out of Sacramento with a pan and scoop.. If it's gold you want to find with a metal detector, I'd be heading out of Sacramento with two buckets full of patience and at least five weeks solid worth of time..
My thoughts, for whatever they're worth..
SA

Thanks for the tip. Looking at a map, where Iowa Hill Rd crosses the American River, is that Mineral Bar your talking about?

I used to be fairly familiar with that area & yes it's mineral bar...there used to be a trail on the north side of the river heading upstream & I imagine it's still there. Way back in the day, you could follow that trail up past the Alta area (green valley) there's lots of gold still there. It's now classified as a "wild & scenic" river upstream from the Iowa hill bridge.

Mineral Bar has been under claim since 1960.

The Eileen Placer Claim survived the challenges by the Dam, ASRA, Wild and Scenic River designation and several Mineral Withdrawals.

Now the ASRA and BLM send folks down there for "recreational" prospecting. Prospectors, like those here, send their friends and acquaintances there for a good time picking over the Eileen's gold.

I guess since the greenies couldn't get rid of the Eileen legally they think it's OK to send folks there to steal from it. Your government at work.

I suggest anyone that gives a flying fart about mineral rights encourage others to respect the Eileen for what it is. A perfected claim that's off limits to prospectors and miners whether they consider themselves to be "recreating" or not.

Edited by clay