Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking For Best GPS

Andyy

So my old handheld Garmin GPS has had it and I am looking for a new one. The problem is there are many GPS units out there and the capabilities vary greatly. Google earth now utilizes .kml and jpeg overlays which can really help if you're using them to do your homework when looking for gold. So I was wondering if there is a specific type of hiking GPS that you have found worth it's weight in gold at carrying this information over easily into the field to help in prospecting?

I use GPSmap 62s. There may be better ones out there, but not sure what I'm missing. It does what I need and I always find my way to and from the destination without issue. Garmin Basecamp is also pretty useful and integrates nicely.

Only negative I can think of, I didn't get the more expensive model that has a built in camera. Didn't see the need before, but now I have seen how useful it would have been...

Luke

• Like 2

I use a Delorme InReach Explorer. Gives the benefit of a GPS unit and acts as a two way communicator via text messages on the Iridium satellite network anywhere in the world. If you get in trouble you'll know whee you are and so will anyone that you know that has text messaging, which is about everyone today. Its pretty darn kickass.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php

• Like 2

Rod and Luke - thank you for the feedback. Both look like they have a lot of options for importing and exporting information. In google earth (on my desktop computer) I do a lot of overlays (geologic/flood planes ...etc.) to pinpoint better hunting areas, but getting that onto my gps has always been a hassle. If I'm going to get a new gps, I'd like to be able to import as much of this information into the gps as possible. I will look further into these units. Many thanks guys!

Andyy

This is a little off what your asking but if I can get Google Maps to work on Satellite view On my Smartphone It will also pull in Google Earth....

, At home on Google Earth I make whatever i want but mostly claim outlines and send it to my smartphone thru Google Drive .... I get a signal 1/2 of the time

Definitely a good dedicated GPS will have better signal consistency but from what i find a screen capable of bringing in good satellite imagery really suck up battery power. While the colored screen ones usually have good battery life....Fax vary but what i've seen is about 6 hrs on good imagery screen...... maybe 23hrs on colored screens with no imagery.

This i investigated real good a few years back so maybe battery life on imagery is better now?

Edited by Joe Z
  • Like 1

No need to use a phone or look for a dedicated GPS unit for Google Earth.

If you have a Garmin you can add your Google Earth KML files with the free gpsBabel program. Just upload the KML file to your Garmin in the GPX format. Bob's yer Uncle.

• Like 1

I stopped using my GPS. I primarily use Google earth, print out a few color copys at different elevations of the area I want to hunt, mark my potential spots and then leave the pictures laying around the house all week before I go out. I study them when I have a free moment and memorize the entire area, when I'm in the field the maps are in my head! It works, ask Tom... :brows:

I still bring the GPS along in case I decide to venture into an unknown area, but I haven't turned it on for over a year now. When I was researching GPS units I went with one that had the best antenna at the time, some GPS units will lose signal in deep canyons. I got the Garmin GPSmaps 60csx, it had a better antenna than the newer units with color screens. In Colorado's Rocky mountains I never lost signal.

• Like 1

Joe Z - I have looked at a few apps (Mapinr,Polaris Navigation, GPS Essentials). GPS Essentials has been the best but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You can import .kml but not overlays. And as you mentioned, they all use up the batteries quickly.

Alwaysdirty - I like the idea of leaving the papers around the color printouts around the house. Unfortunately, my wife says I already leave too much laying around and then it ends up in the garbage :2mo5pow:

Garmin GPSmaps 60 versions look pretty good. Anyone had any luck importing imaging from Google Earth? It would be helpful being able to see Geographic Overlays.

I stopped using my GPS. I primarily use Google earth, print out a few color copys at different elevations of the area I want to hunt, mark my potential spots and then leave the pictures laying around the house all week before I go out. I study them when I have a free moment and memorize the entire area, when I'm in the field the maps are in my head! It works, ask Tom... :brows:

Yeah, I can vouch for that. We had the GPS and Shay had the maps in his head and who do you think got there first? Shay did while Tom and I double checked the GPS and rode up a little late. Both methods are good but the remembering thing wouldn't work well with me I'm afraid, need a little help.

I use a GPS everyday for work (law enforcement) and for speed and ease of use the touchscreen models are the best. Just bought a new Garmin Oregon 650 not too long ago and have been pretty happy with it. The rechargeable batteries are handy. Just make sure to get a screen protector for it (like the kind they make for phones).

GPS units can be a real hindrance to not only the operator , but also any individuals your detecting with. Basically, dont hold up your friends detecting time just because you want to play with your overlays & stuff. I used to be all into that google this & topo that . Now, I rarely use my Garmin unless I need to be standing on a coordinate that I wanted to be at. Otherwise, it will rarely be on my person if at all. I will usually have a compass however.

As for driving around the city, I couldnt live without my Garmin Nuvi :brows:

Edited by adam

Yep, tires and boots on the ground is the best way to check out any area, GPS data is most valuable after the hunt. The main function of the Delorme InReach Explorer that is priceless for me is the ability to get help. I've been injured in the field before and would have spent days propped up against a tree if a few good friends where not there to assist. And I've rescued a few folks over the years too. Kind of like my Glock 45, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. No one is immune to mistakes or injuries.

Garmin Rino for me-it has all my spots on it and does many other things I have AZ topo on it-plus its a 2 way radio in case of a mishap :old: Im not saying its the best but it works for me gets me there and back :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200: PS for the city I have a garmin Nuvi-I would be lost without it

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 1

Garmin Rhino 650 with rechargeable lithium battery, it lasts forever, you can use the radio to talk with friends, garmin maps, custom maps, and it has a ping function that will show you or a friends position on another rhino gps.

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 1

Garmin Rhino 650 with rechargeable lithium battery, it lasts forever, you can use the radio to talk with friends, garmin maps, custom maps, and it has a ping function that will show you or a friends position on another rhino gps.

Dave

I miss my Rino 650. That lithium battery lasts forever, easily two weeks between charges at work. The software got corrupted on it after about two years tho and killed it. I send it back to Garmin and replaced it with a new Oregon. The rechargeable ni-cad batteries it has are a joke. Only last a few hours.

Dave

I have the rino 530 with a lithium as well and it does last a very long time on a charge-I always keep the ping feature off so no one else can find me :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200: PS I sure wish the screen was bigger-thats my only gripe about it