Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX Extreme 3000 disc. mode

I am getting reacquainted with my old GPX Extreme.... Im guessing the GPX Extreme and the GPX Extreme 3000 are one and the same?

Im practicing on my old 'Float Copper' hunting grounds but I cannot get the detector to disregard these..... larger rocks....

They don't have any copper in them or metal but they just sound off... big time too, I might conclude..

I cannot differentiate between float copper and these ....rocks?

I use to use a whites eagle 2 and a Garrett GTI 2500 ..[the Garrett actually worked better in the All metal mode and when pin pointing it 'could' give you a indication if it was copper or iron/steel..

Since I do realize the mine lab will punch much deeper.. I thought Id take it into the field and give it a shot. ..only problem is it is sounding off on these certain ..rocks..everywhere...

Not much in the way of garbage because im deep in the bush but just these certain rocks..

So I see the disc. mode on the side of the minelab... I toggle it to disc.. but it seems to have little effect... Can anyone tell me if they have used that same GPX extreme disc. mode with any effect?

Im mean does it work? Maybe It just will not work for the application im using it for but in the gold fields makes a difference with black sands? or other mineralization of the soil. Not sure...

Does that 5000 or 7000 have more circuitry to eliminate what iguess I would call these 'Hot Rocks'? Peace to ALL !

the gp extreme and the 3000 are not the same models...First have you read the manual? Second, are you using a DD coil? The descrimination will only function with a DD coil.

It does not sound like you have corectly ground balanced the machine. You will have to show your settings and the machine before we can be of any real assistance.

read the manual, read the manual...etc

fred

• Like 1

Fred is right you'll need a DD coil and have to get the coil within a few inches of the target to get discrimination to work on the Extreme.

I've found that most of the hotrocks that sound off really loud are on the surface and can be kicked away, also with practise you can learn the difference between them and a target. I also have a gp extreme and I will say that a dd coil helps a lot for me, even without using discrimination as far as hot rocks go

• Like 1

Thank you Gentlemen,

Indeed I have a GP extreme... I have the detector at a different location and tomorrow I am going to see the 2 coils that came stock with the detector.. I'll see if they are DD or mono... Fred, I'll also get those settings Im using too. it's been quite a while since I used it [many years] Till last week.. I seem to have forgotten everything...I think I do need to brush up on everything again.... Now where's my owners manual !.

• 1 month later...

I also have the Gp Extreme and am new to it ! I have the 18" DD, 11" DD, Joey mono and a Coiltek 14x9 Gold Stalker mono Blitz ! I was thinking of adding a Platypus, do I need it or any other coil ?

If you like spending money. Throw that Joey on and don't look back.

F78 like AD says don't spend the money now. First you need to learn that detector. I would start with the

11" DD and hours of reading the manual. I have all the coils listed above and use the DD's more than the

mono's because of minerals in this country. The best part I like about a DD is you have two coils in one.

Also some of the important functions of the Extreme only work with a DD.

READ-READ-READ the manual!

Thanx guys, and yes I'm pretty familiar with the machines controls turning DD to semi mono and disc mode. My problem is I probably have done to much reaserch, lol. I have the link technologies Emi filter on the way. I think I'm set. Only curious as to whether or not I need water proof coil. I think I have gotten a little carried away, but its just to much fun. It's like it was when I was 16 and getting ready for the deer hunt. Have to have everything I thought I needed to be prepared for the 10 day hunt that only comes once a year. Had to be prepared for anything and everything!

I'm sure some of you can relate ! Lol

I am so glad they sent these head phones. The swich on side is an amp, must be ! I went back to same area this morning and the signal quality was much brighter, superb quality!

My Jimmy sierras and grey ghost now take 2nd & 3rd behind the Link Technology phones.