Nugget Shooter Forums

Not sure what this is......

Hi All,

New to the forum. I have already been in contact with a university professor about this rock. His bias is, naturally, that most finds sent to him for i.d. help are not meteorites simply given the odds. Mine was no exception. The only reason I sent him some pics of the rock was because i had never seen a rock like this before in my life and it was different from all the other rocks and stones I had come across in my time living in this area (Rocky Peak, Simi Valley)

The skinny: No apparent fusion crust, no known meteorite falls in this area (ever?), weakly attracts a magnet. Heavy. Nice breccia with inclusions. Didn't see any shiny, metal flecks so probably terrestrial......

Anyone have any ideas? Whatever the case may be, whether it is a space rock or not, it has got me interested in meteorites!

Attached a couple of pics showing the cut and a "wet" window. Have not had time to polish it yet.

post-27705-0-24370900-1443331538_thumb.j

post-27705-0-84752900-1443331635_thumb.j

Breccia, terrestrial. Clast size distribution is off for just about all brecciated achondrites (HED and Lunar). Too many large clasts. Second photo's too blurry for a positive rock ID. Since the clasts are angular, it's probably volcanic (Conejo formation), but those may be ripped-up, fine-grained clasts in a sedimentary rock (e.g. turbidite, Chatsworth formation).

http://research.nhm.org/pdfs/37041/37041.pdf

Breccia, terrestrial. Clast size distribution is off for just about all brecciated achondrites (HED and Lunar). Too many large clasts. Second photo's too blurry for a positive rock ID. Since the clasts are angular, it's probably volcanic (Conejo formation), but those may be ripped-up, fine-grained clasts in a sedimentary rock (e.g. turbidite, Chatsworth formation).

http://research.nhm.org/pdfs/37041/37041.pdf

Thanks for the response. I could upload and link some high res, but probably not worth the trouble since I agree. Looks terrestrial, the "exterior" clasts looks like sandstone as some of them are depressed. Looks sedimentary. Had to ask. Got the bug now :)

The large clasts do exist in some achondrites, but rare. Plenty of examples out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Achondrites+breccia&es_sm=93&biw=1231&bih=558&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIzeTRj7eWyAIVkDySCh25rQSu#imgrc=_

Edited by mcnugget

Sure, although Lunar breccias can contain fine-grained granulitic clasts that would look similar.

The issue is the size distribution. Large clasts can be present, but the ratio of large clasts to smaller clasts / matrix is too high in your specimen - it's not regolith. Your specimen has two major particle sizes: fine-grained matrix and ~cm-sized clasts, with not much in between and ~nothing larger. That implies mechanical sorting, and we don't see that in ~any meteorites.

Edited by CaliforniaFinder

hey mcnugget, don't let anyone tell you meteorites don't fall in the area. I went to school in Moorpark and the have rode bikes in those hills around Simi Valley Rocky peak is a fine area to hunt rocks so good luck on pulling in a real one man!

• 2 weeks later...

hey mcnugget, don't let anyone tell you meteorites don't fall in the area. I went to school in Moorpark and the have rode bikes in those hills around Simi Valley Rocky peak is a fine area to hunt rocks so good luck on pulling in a real one man!

thanks man. I am always wandering around the Rocky Peak/Hummingbird Nest Ranch area. Such a great variety of stones here which is a problem right off the bat since the best areas to hunt are usually flat, dry, barren areas. Just hard for me to get away with a 4 year old and a business to tend to. I have also heard legends of buried treasure/gold in this area but probably urban legends at best. Edited by mcnugget