Nugget Shooter Forums

Thought some of you guys might be interested in my new jig design. I put 3 videos on my Youtube channel, showing the operation, and experimentation on my ideas. Here's a link to the first one. As long as you're watching, please subscribe to my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoAVMGNe6UQ

Jim

Edited by Idaho Jim

The link no worky..

Tom

I don't get it ????

Dry jig, waterless ???

Jigs typically pulse water up through the material, to lift and separate the particles. the heaviest particles fall faster, so end up at the bottom, while the lighter material flows out to the tails. This jig is for areas where water isn't available. The material is lifted and separated by direct mechanical action which lifts the entire screen box. When the box hits the stops just above the highest point of mechanical movement, the gravel, by momentum, goes higher. The sides of the box are sloped at 5* making room for the gravel to separate. As it falls back, the heaviest material falls faster, causing it to end up on the bottom. It works for gold, or gems, or both at the same time, though the best performance on gems occurs when the material smaller than #8 is screened-out prior to running it through the jig. It's just another prospecting tool, Frank.

Jim

You must have been watching one of the videos for my other jigs, Frank....there's no water being used in any of the three dry jig videos.

Jim

this?

Wrong link....that's the original jig and autofeeder I built 3 years ago. But, you can find the dry jig on the same channel, along with other videos I've posted. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

Jim

Jim,

Frank was referring to the video posted by Weaver hillbillie, here are the "waterless jig" videos.

Yeah,,,I finally figured out what was going on....I never took a good look at the picture on that link...my bad, and I apologize for the confusion.

Jim

Yeah...LOL....this whole thread started out bad, and then went DOWNHILL from there...Ha! Oh well, maybe I provided a litrtle entertainment, if nothing else.

Jim

Very impressive! Have you run any pay dirt to see how efficient the jig is or to see if you have any gold escaping?

Nope...the only material I ran in it was the 300 mesh tungsten, and though I recovered a lot, I didn't check the tailings. First, I wanted to find out if it would recover ANY....LOL. I think, dpending on the slope, which strongly impacts the rate the material moves through, it will probably do very well, especially on rounder particles. I'd really like to try it on an area that has flour gold. Fortunately, there are sevral places like that near me. Unfortunately, I can't get to it inside the next couple of weeks, and by then the weather may get wetter.....we're overdue for some rain. I'll keep the forum updated on any results. Thanks for the kind words!

Jim

GOOGLE Karl Von Mueller, RIP, and you'll see his jigs from the 70-80s as same principals utilized. Published in the Examino Press publications-John

Thanks, John. A member on another forum suggested I get his book. I'm watching a copy on Ebay right now. Looking forward to reading it.

Jim

KVM was commonly refered to as the father of modern day mining methodology. Great man with a photographic mind, now that could be a curse also in many instances. Hope you enjoy the blast from the past...John

Thanks, John.....I've got it ordered. Looking forward to seeing his ideas.....will probably help me a bunch, any luck at all.

Jim

Well, after reading that, I see some difference in our approaches. I'm using a low frequency, high amplitude vibration.....more of a "pulse" than a vibration. Karl was more into vibration as the method, but did mention using a cam, so pretty-much covered it all. I'm also using a deeper, narrower sluice, while he used a broad, shallow sluice. He mounted his sluice on springs. I considered that, but decided on a solid mounting, though my sluice is free to move vertically. Obviously, there are lots of ways to skin this cat. For myself, it was important that my jig recover gems, so had to handle larger gravel, up to 1/2". Karl's unit was designed for gold, and thus was optimized to handle sub-1/4" material.

In any case, a very interesting read. I hope to try mine in the field in thje next few days....probably on Snake River flour gold.

Jim

Soooo much fun making jugs, rigs, dredges, drywashers, highbankers, tables and such. Miss my factory but NOT the store as a bore working whilst all else out having fun. Would much like to see results..also look up ol'school keene pan-o-matic as yet another jig-John

Yup...I really enjoy designing and building equipment. Reading Karl's book gave me some other ideas to pursue, too. Reading about other's work, even if you don't get ideas from what they built, it gets your brain working in new directions. I hadn't heard of the Pan-o-matic...I'll look into it, John...thanks.

Jim

It is a wet unit that copied the "Green Machine" designs from back in the day in Lebec,tiny town in the Grapevine north of LA. Google Pyramid products as again a oldie but a righteous goodie as both made good toys for us miners for quite a few years. Lotza luck as so many goldfarbs and life is sooooo short-John

Edited by Hoser John