Nugget Shooter Forums

Butte Fire in California

I am thinking this huge fire is going to open up a huge amount of areas to detect, right in the heart of gold country that were before completely un searchable due to excess brush and poison oak. Looking forward to getting out and hitting some un searched dirt. Who knows, might even find a nice gold outcropping.

"the cost"? What cost? The cost to put it out? That has got to be paid no matter what, just looking to take advantage of a rare moment of clear ground to beep new ground. It is not used for any other purpose, so why not strike while I can. It is rare to see so much country opened up for access in Commifornia. So I plan on using this to my utmost advantage. This is rich ground where this fire is. Just was impassable before. My biggest issue is figuring out who owns what.

My feeling is the fire is started, homes and property will be lost no matter what I do. that's just the facts of fire life. I didn't start it, nor will I put it out.(that was a life along time ago.) But there is no reason to not use the newly cleared areas to detect, once it gets burned. Seems like a no brainer to me. As some may say, "when given lemons, why not make lemon aide?"

Hi Skunked,

Not trying to speak for mn90403, but perhaps the "cost" he is talking about

is people losing their homes and belongings.

In almost anyone's estimation that cost would be too high.

I hope they get it out quickly.

Flak,

You are right.

I am reading other forums and some of the posters have sons fighting the fires. Some will lose homes. This is a high cost to have the land open and free of brush.

That being said ... skunked in correct that it provides an opportunity. Be careful out there.

Mitchel

This fire is burning out of control in my county(Calaveras) in California.It has burned over 65,000 acres so far and containment has dropped from 20 percent to 5 percent.Most of the county is in private property and the BLM ground that's open is very hard to get access to.Alot of it is landlocked.Lot's of small communities here about have mandatory evacuations and others are on standby.Even if you know people in this county it's very difficult to get access to any ground to prospect.

People/livestock/animals are dying , folks losing their lives work, homes, momentos and THATS A GOOD THING . That makes me want to vomit-let me torch your property and see ya snivel,whine and moan-total insanity for gods sake-John :2mo5pow:

Yup, it's not always all about the FEEVAH. Sometimes the place of empathy and compassion can be overlooked in the rush of things. Thanks Mitchel, David, John and Slim for your righteous reminders.

:th: As of yesterday, in that 1 of over a dozen fires, we lost over 400 homes and yet another death plus many 1,000's+ acres of prime land...no yaa today either-John :2mo5pow:

Living under the cloud of smoke from that fire makes me feel a lot of empathy for those more directly involved. Yes, there will be new visible dirt from all the dead vegetation. But you will not be able to access it for quit a long time. The forest will be locked up tight by the FS and other agencies for safety reasons. It took over a year to have access to the destruction after the 100,000 acre fire in my backyard. Theses scorched earth kind of fires are devastating on so many levels. Let's just put good thought on not how we can prosper from tragedy but on all the effected wildlife and people whose lives will be changed forever from these fires

This nightmare will continue long after the fires are out. Flooding and mudslides could -- and probably will -- be a big problem. For those of you who aren't aware of the problem Tombstone, AZ had with their water supply following a fire and mudslide,Google it and you will see that those in control of the US Forest service can be the people's worst enemies.

IMHO, when the fires are out would be a good time to review and replace the policies that led to these catastrophic fires. It was much more than the drought that caused them to burn out of control for so long.

I am amazed at how some of you guys took my post. It was not meant to a heartless grab at others misfortune. No where did I remotely say that all the folks homes and property loss was a "GOOD thing" , as was suggested. It is sad and like was said it will be years before they get back to normal if they ever do. Some may be ruined for ever and never be able to rebuild. It was a terrible fire, as was the Valley fire. My heart does go out to all those effected. Never said anything about that. I was just mentioning that a lot of FOREST, not homes, was going to be accessible in the up coming years. And yes of course a lot of it is private property, just as it was before the fire. That has not changed. And I also know just like the fire up in last chance, It will be at least next year before anyone will be let in. They have a lot of remedial repairs and controls that need to be put into place. NONE of which would have been any different due to me BTW. It happened. So I guess you guys can just keep on whipping this dead horse, as I never said most of what I was accused of.

We had a 60,000 acre fire here near my place this year. Some people lost property. A lot of ground was burned. The deer hunters were glad to see it burn, as it opens up a ton of places that were before the burn, totally un huntable. But the Deer hunters were not glad that people lost property and buildings.

As a retired Firefighter, I keep a VERY robust fire clear area around my place. I would not have any issue staying out a fire at my place. Some folks though do not take clearing their property's very seriously. One of my neighbors had 4 foot weeds right up to his wall all summer long. It looks to me like he was hoping it would burn, by the way he did nothing to protect it. I even wonder if insurance would even pay him if it burned. People need to be very aggressive when they live in the urban interface. You cannot have anything flammable around your homes and buildings, and that includes pine trees, needles leave in the gutters and wooden mulch around trees and walkways. They are all very very flammable. Now before you guys flame me some more, I am in no way saying that anyone who lost their place in these fires did not have adequate fire clearings. Lets make that clear. I am just noting that some of MY neighbors do not take it seriously enough, even after having such a close call as we did this year and I know that as a Firefighter, the crews look at the homes and decide if it is defendable or not. (yes there are rules and protocol as what to look for and how to grade the property) In the case of the guy with weeds right up to his wall. The Fire Department would drive right by, and protect a more reasonably protectable property. Egress is another show stopper. You might have good clearance around your property structures, but if your driveway does not allow for the firefighters a safe exit in case of being over run, they will not protect that property.

These are tough choices that Firefighter have to make, and make in a real hurry. OK, let the beatings resume.

BTW any one want to buy my 2.5 Kenne Dredge? Looks like we are dead from this water permit requirement they just threw at us this week. If I don't find a buyer, I plan on making it into a floating fire pump to put in my pool and fight off fires in the event they come my way again. Once again when given lemons, make lemonade.

Hi Skunked,

Your words are all we have to go on when you write a post.

Most of us do not know you other than that.

What you meant to say may have been one thing

what you did write was strange more for what was left out;

there was no mention whatsoever of the horrific misery that was currently going on.

Lemons and lemonade aside, I do not think anyone thought you were glad about situation,

rather, it seemed a touch early to be thinking of the benefits of a conflagration of that magnitude.

Well said, You probably took my post as wrong as I took yours. Having had the American, Robbers and King fires all close to where I live, I now think much different about the destruction. Yea, I used to think about how the following floods will help replenish the gold. Now I think about nothing more than how all the people and wildlife are effected. Yes, being proactive about fire prevention is friggin important! We had our Fire Chief inspect our property for that very reason. He said all the safeguards we have definitely make out place defensible and we are now on a list with fire agencies as such. It's important as heck because insurance carriers are dumping people that live in the woods.