Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite or Slag?

Meteorites can weather down to absolutely nothing, so, they can end up looking just like what you have there. I see globules in your sample. They could be olivine. If you google "olivine in meteorites" and look at the images, they will give you a better idea of what you may have. Most of the pictures are cleaned up and slabbed so they will obviously look better.

Good Luck,

Regards,

MetalliKile

This picture is to show an example of an extremely weathered meteorite. It is only to show that they can be shaped oddly after many years of erosion.

My only advise is to get a true experts opinion in person and not to rely on a 2D judgement.

Good luck.

Regards,

MetalliKile

Marjalahti.jpg

This picture is to show an example of an extremely weathered meteorite.

To an inexperienced eye your picture may look similar to the OP, but to me they are night and day.

That's not very weathered, it looks like a pallasite and probably didn't look much different when it was fresh.

I agree with getting opinions in person, but this is not such a case where it is warranted.

Edited by Mikestang