Nugget Shooter Forums

Watson Lake, Willow Creek Resivoir Fishing?

Uncle Ron

Yo all... Has anyone here ever fished at Watson Lake and or Willow Creek Reservoir near Prescott ... Dodacious is dying to go fishing and online literature makes these two puddles sound good...Thanks for your thoughts and opinions... Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

BUbble burst alert :tisk-tisk:

Watson lake: I wouldn't eat fish out of there. Well, maybe just once if cooked really well and I was hungry, nearby and smelled it, and there was tartar sauce and there was good beer, and then, only once.

Once won't kill ya.... but it is nothing more than a waste water settlng pond and has been for decades.. All runoff from the area goes there, to include leaking and overflowing sewage/septic lines. No drainage out. Much worse treatment in years past and much talk of contaminated sediments...(sigh).

I'd rather find a friendly rancher, and cut a private deal for some 4 legged "fish". I realize that's a totally different experience, but I believe anyone would be better of for it.

Supposedly, it's the most polluted lake in the State.

.http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=101155

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=892&dat=19820916&id=xKIKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qkwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6767,24204&hl=en

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=132590

Ron, have you considered Goldwater lake? It has a nice shoreline and can be fished all around. Lynx is another to think about but would be a lot of walking.

Old Tom

Ron, have you considered Goldwater lake? It has a nice shoreline and can be fished all around. Lynx is another to think about but would be a lot of walking.

Old Tom

Thanks OT...I thought Goldwater was a tiny little pond, but on google earth it looks pretty good ... Is it really crowded? Cheers, Unc

I don't really know how the crowd plays out Ron. When I fish it it's mostly off season and there is no one there. There is a nice parking area and a short walk to the lake. Take a camera as it's nice scenery also. Alamo Lake is in your area also but you almost need a boat to fish there. Things might have changed though since I have been there.

Old Tom

Ron I lived in Prescott for a while, Lynx is ok. I fished there many times,and there are some huge bass in there too,well 8# ers. (over by the tree stumps when they built the lake.)but it has become a heavily regulated lake. The think the lakes to fish are generally above any "big" city not below ask any plumber, it all runs down hill.
Old Tom SHOOOOSH Alamo is my secret spot. :D AzNuggetBob

Alamo, I haven't fished there in about 20 years. ADEQ posted a study in 2002 about the high mercury levels. Seems like many of the lakes keep getting polluted. But I sure miss the bass and catfish I would pull out of that lake, AzNuggetBob :)

The fishing up on the Mogollon Rim is good and you have many lakes to choose from, Knoll, Bear Canyon, Woods Canyon, Blue Ridge, Willow Springs, etc. Both the scenery and temperatures are awesome. A little farther drive but it's worth it. Links to info on all the lakes up there @ http://www.arizona-leisure.com/knoll-lake.html (Payson Area Lakes) You can eat the fish too and not worry about growing a third eye.

Edited by Rod
  • Like 1

Alamo, I haven't fished there in about 20 years. ADEQ posted a study in 2002 about the high mercury levels. Seems like many of the lakes keep getting polluted. But I sure miss the bass and catfish I would pull out of that lake, AzNuggetBob :)

Hey Andy

It happens in many places out west where you have a large watershed that gets periodic flooding . it causes a larger concentration of mercury., and it stirs up bottom sediments of many lakes and larger rivers too. localized flash flooding also raises the levels in some areas for awhile. If look around it happens to other lakes and rivers too. you may still want to consider catch and release. It's still a lot of fun. or check the current local levels where you want to fish. I'm sure they check them every few years. besides, hey its been 13 years, all those bass probably died of old age at Alamo. dont forget to throw those mutant monsters back. :D

alot of people see red dirt or rock and think Iron, me too but it could be cinnabar and other types of rock too. some volcanic areas are noted for mercury, not like we don't have any of those in Az. The lakes in the eastern part of Az probably have less mercury. AzNuggetBob