Nugget Shooter Forums

Tektite?

didn't find this in the field, it was sitting in a box of rocks in a little antique shop in downtown Saratoga for 5 bucks. I think it is a tektite, but obviously not sure... any ideas?

post-27513-0-33295900-1441407579_thumb.j

post-27513-0-68684700-1441407586_thumb.j

post-27513-0-98366200-1441407591_thumb.j

post-27513-0-70511400-1441407597_thumb.j

post-27513-0-47837100-1441407603_thumb.j

thanks mike, you are likely right, very knowledgeable... always helpful and much appreciated!

there are a lot of rocks out there and the more of them I take a close look at the more I realize how much there is to learn, so I mention this only as an observation as they don't show well in the pictures because the camera on my iPhone is not so good... it's not just blackish glass there are also some amber colored crystalline structures embedded in the glassy material and some small patches/points that give off a rainbow reflection pattern as well, all stuff I can see, but know little about.

Thanks again all, clark

clark
If you have a propane torch, take a small chip off it and slowly melt the chip with the propane torch. if it bubbles as it melts its obsidian. obsidian forms in many colors.
AzNuggetBob

AzNuggetBob

thank you that's a good test to know. I guess obsidian can form in all kinds of different shapes as it falls and cools and i would imagine some lava gets kicked up pretty high during a super violent eruption, leaving the falling soft rock with interesting patterns.

Any recommendations on a good, easy to follow field guide for mineral identification? some of the areas I'm hunting have great looking rocks and while I'm out there might as well have some idea of what I'm looking at, beyond the basic bedrock geology and gold prospecting angle.

Clark for a field guide for Rocks and Gems. I like Gemstones of the world and Handbook of Rocks, Minerals, and Gemstones, by Walter Schumann but mine are older versions. there may be newer Revised versions.

On gold:
FISTS FULL OF GOLD, by Chris Ralph and
Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold, By Jim Straight. I have almost all of Jim's books.

I think both are a must have.

On Meteorites:
I like Rocks from Space second edition by O. Richard Norton.

Bill may have them for sale here in his forum store or just ask him. he may have them at his brick and mortar prospecting supply store and not listed online and you may be able to get a member discount too.

http://www.nuggetsho....com/index.html
AzNuggetBob

the surface is not typical of the numerous different tektites I have seen, but a very good question.

Hard to describe, but they are usually dull or matte on outside, although obsidian or glass- like inside. And also the interesting

bubbles and designs on the surface of yours are not typical (just from my observations... just my opinion)

Twink

And, if not mentioned earlier, check out The Tektite Source run by Norm Lerman, he lives and breathes tektites. (and Azites or Saffordites, which are not tektites but are volcanic glass. I have hunted with him for those)

Twink

Great thank you I learned a lot a usual and some day if I keep looking in the right places at the right time or maybe even the wrong place at the right time i'll find a real space rock of some sort of my own. Until then, AzNuggetBob, thank you I have Chris's and Jim's books and am ordering the gem and meteorite ones.

thanks again everyone, clark

• 3 weeks later...

Clark for a field guide for Rocks and Gems. I like Gemstones of the world and Handbook of Rocks, Minerals, and Gemstones, by Walter Schumann but mine are older versions. there may be newer Revised versions.

On gold:

FISTS FULL OF GOLD, by Chris Ralph and

Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold, By Jim Straight. I have almost all of Jim's books.

I think both are a must have.

On Meteorites:

I like Rocks from Space second edition by O. Richard Norton.

Bill may have them for sale here in his forum store or just ask him. he may have them at his brick and mortar prospecting supply store and not listed online and you may be able to get a member discount too.

http://www.nuggetsho....com/index.html

AzNuggetBob

thanks again Bob,

now I have all the books on the list so i guess ill never have another question ever again :yesss: although the reality will be more :grr01: best part is I got the rocks minerals and gemstones book for only $1.75 buy it now from goodwill industries.