Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite Hunting Trip Off Beaten Path

Last weekend made a trip to some off beaten paths to never hunted areas in Northern Nevada, and the Tonopah area with Richard Garcia, and Roy Miller. We ended up with some excellent finds. Ran into Joe no Shoulders...

Dave.

post-1046-0-62106300-1440806211_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-54328500-1440806238_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-63116900-1440806410_thumb.jp

Great finds, Dave, congrats to you all!

I made a recent northern NV lake bed find, too. 58.0g, I hope to get this one classified.

014a.JPG

Edited by Mikestang

Great finds, Dave, congrats to you all!

I made a recent northern NV lake bed find, too. 58.0g, I hope to get this one classified.

014a.JPG

Mike,

That doesn't look like a meteorite ... :4chsmu1:

Oh, I forgot. That is YOUR line.

Great find.

Is that really a good example of fusion crust? :rolleyes: Did you put a window in it? Did you do a scratch test? So many questions ... inquiring minds want to know.

Mitchel

THanks everyone...

Mike, that pic sure makes it look like Basalt , but when you showed the underside, wow !!!! You are just killing it out there....congrats on the great finds... Good luck getting it classified unless your willing to pay out some good money. With all the NWA's coming out they really don't want to deal with weathered OC's.

To many places, so little time... :)

Frank, got your pic... you did make a great find, that kind of find should get you places..

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

Last weekend made a trip to some off beaten paths to never hunted areas in Northern Nevada, and the Tonopah area with Richard Garcia, and Roy Miller. We ended up with some excellent finds. Ran into Joe no Shoulders...

Dave.

attachicon.gifAT Finds 8-22-15.jpg

attachicon.gifA1.jpg

attachicon.gifRattlesnake.jpg

Dave

As always you're the best to hunt with. No mention was made of your friend. See if you can spot him now.post-3321-0-26155600-1441214816_thumb.jp :yikes:

The little guy headed for the bush as soon as Roy the snake charmer showed up. :25r30wi:

Mike,

When you say 'clean it up', that didn't mean anything more than distilled water

and perhaps a soft brush, right, or did it..? It looks really good now too, btw..

Tnx,

SA

Thanks Mike..

The alcohol solvent you're looking for is generally listed as: 98% Technical Grade Industrial Solvent..

Don't know if they carry it in small bottles at "regular" retail outlets.. I use it for a different purpose and get it from a janitorial / industrial products warehouse.. Last gal I got was six or so years ago and it was $20 then.. I'd figure double or better that today.. It can be cut quite a bit too, but with what you just said about water & meteorites...?

It's quite strong, and acts & reacts like an acid.. If using it straight I definitely recommend quality gloves, eye protection not a bad idea either and I'd test it first on a non-important fragment to see what happens.. If you deceide to cut it, standard acid-and-water mixing protocol applies..

SA

Don't use any water on them especially if you found them on a Dry Lake :idunno:

Edited by DolanDave