Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite or leaverite?

Meteorite or leaverite? looks to me to be olivine rock but it has a melted surface. mine slag? not noticeably magnetic.
AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-36810400-1440472040_thumb.j

Did you find this? Or are you posting NWA 7325 or one of it's pairings trying to trick us?

20130321_nwa_7325_ralew_f537.jpg

Your photo looks like a dealer photo, so I think you're being tricksie. :party-smiley-027[1]:

Edited by Mikestang

Your correct Mike, no I didn't find it. wish I did. its believed it could be a pairing of NWA 7325 there were several found in the same area. if they are from Mercury they don't follow all the rules. I think the lack of iron in these may be why it doesn't have a black fusion crust. whats really odd to me is they appear to be a reasonably fresh meteorite?. point is, I've found other stones out nugget hunting in the past that had a melted surface but because they were found in a mining area I assumed they were mining slag and tossed them. now they go into the rock garden, just in case.
AzNuggetBob

Meteorites are very rare, even the common ones. A rare meteorite like these is something you're likely to only ever see pictures of on the internet and not have to worry about id'ing.

Bob, just be sure to try to keep them documented when going to rock garden. Robert Verish threw his in a rock garden, and some turned out to be Martian meteorites, and he didn't document where he found them.

Dave

Your correct Mike, no I didn't find it. wish I did. its believed it could be a pairing of NWA 7325 there were several found in the same area. if they are from Mercury they don't follow all the rules. I think the lack of iron in these may be why it doesn't have a black fusion crust. whats really odd to me is they appear to be a reasonably fresh meteorite?. point is, I've found other stones out nugget hunting in the past that had a melted surface but because they were found in a mining area I assumed they were mining slag and tossed them. now they go into the rock garden, just in case.

AzNuggetBob

Ya, you caught me Mike. I figured you would catch it. :) they are a rather unique type of meteorite and not generally well known.

Geezzz glad I didnt say Rhyolite with olivine :grr01:

Almost gotcha Adam. :4chsmu1:

That pic and others make me very hesitant to say any rock is not or is a meteorite...dang, why can't life be simple!

fred

Fred I try to keep an open mind about them but it seems like the more I learn about them the more I wonder about leaving them.It really blows your train of thought when your nugget hunting.

Bob, just be sure to try to keep them documented when going to rock garden. Robert Verish threw his in a rock garden, and some turned out to be Martian meteorites, and he didn't document where he found them.
Dave

I agree Dave it is hard to remember where some of them came from? I had tons of meteor-wrongs in my old rock garden, I think????
as a matter of fact I remember where I left an odd rock out in the field years ago. I'm going to put it on my hit list and see If I can find it again. if for nothing else just to get rid of that nagging feeling. :Just_Cuz_15:

AzNuggetBob

"...I'm going to put it on my hit list and see If I can find it again. if for nothing else just to get rid of that nagging feeling."

AzNuggetBob

The best way I've found to get rid of that nagging feeling is to leave her at home..

Ok, okay.. No throwing of sharp stares or sharper objects, please.. The eye daggers I'm presently pulling out of my chest and neck sting enough by themselves.. It was a joke, a joke I tell ya..! I'm a product of the before times, and as I've just been so stickingly informed, what once played in Peoria is no longer quite as acceptable as once was.. I'm currently undergoing a very loud lesson about what is vs isn't PC in today's polite society, and am reeling from the effects of learning my scum-of-the-earth humor is now only welcome in the very deepest bowels of this craft upon which we all travel..

Besides which, I just recently read in Science Twoaday the results of a five-year study showing beyond all shadow of doubt that couples either married or S.O. do have the ability to daily work side-by-side in the field without one doing the other in.. Of the 7,163 volunteer couples that initially signed up the study's authors hoist a toast to Ol' & Em Ladeback and their sponsoring pharmacutical company for proving the naysayers wrong wrong wrong..!

SA

Edited by Swampstomper Al

SA I just found out today that according to a new study, kids that eat peanut butter under one year of age are 85% less likely to develop allergies to peanuts? :inocent: AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

AzBob,

First thing I should say is it's my bad for pulling this thread off-topic.. I'll try to keep my silliness in check in the future..

With that said, I'll say no, I didn't know specifically about recent testing results for peanut allergy in infants and toddlers..

What I am aware of, and it's somewhat disturbing, is the rather profound increase of food-based allergies in general within the infant and toddler population during the last two decades.. This change is running parallel with the honey bee die-off..

Methinks they're related, tied together -- Mother Earth saying enough is enough already..!

SA