Nugget Shooter Forums

Help identify this specimen

Hello, i have this specimen and done some research and i hope its a meteorite but i cant come to a conclusion so if anyone can provide some insight on what i have that would be greatly appreciated. it weighs about 1.5kg, feels heavier than it looks, has rounded edges all over, no sharp edges, scars all over, and the magnet attached is a strong magnet but has a weak force on the specimen. If anymore info is needed ill try the best of my ability to give an answer.

Thanks,

sorry if pic is sideways.

post-27676-0-01719100-1440364798_thumb.j

post-27676-0-04757900-1440365049_thumb.j

Hello, i have this specimen and done some research and i hope its a meteorite but i cant come to a conclusion so if anyone can provide some insight on what i have that would be greatly appreciated. it weighs about 1.5kg, feels heavier than it looks, has rounded edges all over, no sharp edges, scars all over, and the magnet attached is a strong magnet but has a weak force on the specimen. If anymore info is needed ill try the best of my ability to give an answer.

Thanks,

post-27676-0-28837800-1440373059_thumb.j

Any magnet will have a strong attraction to a meteorite, you could pick up most iron meteorites with just a cheap refrigerator magnet. If a strong rare earth neodymium magnet is not strongly attracted to it I don't think it's a meteorite.

What you have appears to be some type of hematite rock. Doesn't have the right "look" of a meteorite either.

Not likely Hematite, as Hematite is very rarely magnetic. There is a deposit of weakly magnetic Hematite crystals near Quartzsite, unless its Illmenite :idunno: No red streak would also possibly confirm that it is not hematite.. Looks like a plain o`l Iron stone...Sorry, keep looking

Sometimes hematite can be mixed with a little magnetite, making it seem more magnetic than pure hematite. It's unanimous - it's iron minerals. Various forms and mixes of iron minerals are some of the most common meteor-wrongs that are mistaken by new guys.

Informative post, Mikestang. :thumbsupanim

Also good beginner info here; link posted by Homie:

How to Identify a Meteorite:

http://www.meteoritemarket.com/metid1.htm

SA

Edited by Swampstomper Al

• 5 weeks later...

i think this is hematite also, it was taken in the high Sierra in an area known for jasper and hematite and looks a lot like your rock and has a very slight magnetic reaction.

post-27513-0-52458300-1443371590_thumb.j

I've always been told to take to a university to know for sure. It would grab my attention if I saw it.

I can't get the University here to look at anything, or even respond to emails.

Jim