Nugget Shooter Forums

Window into a possible meteorite

A friend of mine recently gave me a rock to cut for him. After looking at it I think I have determined that it is probably a meteorite. It has an odd surface pattern, it is hard, heavy, and responds to a magnet. It is close to round and about the size of a baseball.

Someone told me I should cut or grind a window to see what is inside to help determine if it is a meterorite.

My question is, what should I expect to see to determine if it is a meterorite?

Here is a picture of it before I make any changes.

Rock1_zpsbvov6lhw.jpg

I am not sure about either scenario. It does looked melted or sand blasted but not glassy. From what I have seen tectites are usually nearly black, glassy, and gravel sized. This rock is a medium brown, not really glassy and baseball size.

I am certainly open to all suggestions, I can post a picture of the window when I get that done.

I say keep it and put it in your rock garden. I think some of us think they know what a meteorite should look like or contain. not saying it is not saying it isnt but unless you know for "sure" whats out there I think you could be wrong. AzNuggetBob

You should edit the subject of this thread...

Sorry I wasn't more clear: You should edit the subject further and remove "meteorite" altogether.

I think some of us think they know what a meteorite should look like or contain. not saying it is not saying it isnt but unless you know for "sure" whats out there I think you could be wrong.

This one is absolutely 100% not a meteorite.

Edited by Mikestang