Nugget Shooter Forums

Here are some pics from this summer. I found a nice little wash that showed good gold with the tweezer and straw method. I came back the next day with the dry washer and was hoping it would be worth the mile hike from the car with all my gear. My first clean out was really good for what I'm used too, after I did a first run and had a small patch of the bedrock exposed I started sweeping up the loose stuff getting ready to vacuum. In the first couple sweeps with the broom across bedrock I saw a nice picker. That happened quite a few times that day. The picture of my dry washer table, is after the first day running all my cons before leaving. The bigger chunks in my hand were all picked up off bedrock while I was sweeping it. I came back to that spot for three days until the gold really slowed down. I ended up with about 13 grams from that spot. The first day was the best though.

post-26514-0-08343200-1439336877_thumb.jpost-26514-0-73029100-1439337111_thumb.jpost-26514-0-65947000-1439337239_thumb.jpost-26514-0-79797000-1439337493_thumb.j

After it started getting scorching hot out I started hiking around in some nearby mountains where it was a lot cooler. I had heard a couple rumors of moonstone being found in these mountains over the last few years but I could not pinpoint where it was at. I got a new lead on the spot that ended up being enough to get me there. It is a long hike through rough terrain through these gorgeous mountains. It is so much cooler up there and when a storm blows through it can actually get cold pretty quick. On days when it is around a hundred degrees 40 miles away where I live, it is about 77 degrees in the mountains. I saw my thermometer dip down to 58 degrees up there a few days ago. Those in the pan all had color, but it only shows at a certain angle and some are brighter/dimmer than others. There were blue and white ones there. I have been cutting cutting some into cabs, I took a couple single shots of the white ones so you could see the silvery white color they show, and a pic of a rough blue one. Some of the blue ones are very bright and look awesome. I still haven't found any precious opal yet but this stuff is pretty amazing.

post-26514-0-62065300-1439338782_thumb.jpost-26514-0-20561700-1439338915_thumb.jpost-26514-0-41556600-1439339211_thumb.jpost-26514-0-83049300-1439339375_thumb.jpost-26514-0-89552100-1439339719_thumb.j

Funny you mention it BD, I got the idea from you. Seeing posts of you guys working shallow, thin washes way off the beaten trail. I decided I needed to find one for myself. There were no roads or atv trails going to it, a few of the regulars who I would see on my way out were getting all worked up trying to figure out where I was working. The hike to the moonstones is 3 and 1/2 miles in one way. Thank god I don't need a dry washer for them.

Why it sure is home fire. Have you ever dug in the Pittsburg district? Most of the gold there is like this, big flakes, but they are almost always flat like they've been squashed. I've not found any nuggets with much dimension here.

Chris,

The moonstones are awesome, the blue ones look very nice! :thumbsupanim

I didn't see that post until now because as I was replying I got sidetracked for several minutes missing you posting it, I came back and submitted my reply without seeing your post.

No problem with the moonstones post staying with-in this topic, all apart of your great prospecting and mining field report. :4chsmu1:

Thanks Skip, The blue ones are neat aren't they? From one angle they look like a boring clear stone shot through with fractures, and as you turn it slowly this bright electric blue color shines out at you. Most of them break up easily, and have a lot of fractures running through them. There are a lot of smaller pieces that would be good faceting material. I have found a few small ones with no cracks at all, they look like a piece of clear glass until you rotate them and that blue light flashes out.

Nice job Chris. Moonstone is very cool stuff, I like it. Send me one of the cracked bluerough stones. I would like to try to stabilize it and see id I can heal the cracks

Adam, the weird thing about that creek is that all that gold was in a stretch about 50 feet long. The wash was only a couple feet across and 6 to 10 inches of dirt on bedrock in the deepest spots. The first day was great, the next two days were good, and then all of a sudden it seemed to be average gravel. I sampled upstream, downstream, on the turns, and could not find any more good gold in the creek. I don't know if the old miners missed or skipped a small stretch or if a small hillside patch got sluiced out on that bedrock from a big storm. I am waiting for the big monsoons so I can go see what kind of gold, if any, settles there.

Steve, you got it, I am going back this weekend to get more of them. I will get you some good rough to experiment with. I'll send a few of the nice clear unfractured ones too. they are small but maybe you can do something with them.

Wow Chris!
That's a fantastic story :)
Love the pics.

Great gold also.

Was it in one of those spots the wash slows down at that I told you to look at?

WTG!!!! :yesss:

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Hey Tom, I think it may have been. I have a hard time telling which part of the wash would run fast or slow. This particular stretch of the creek that had all the gold was a long straight stretch, with a sharp curve above and downstream on the straight stretch. To me it did look like those two sharp turns at either end would've slowed the water down some as it ran rough that straight section. I think a lot of my best spots have been in sections where a wash ran through a narrow strip, close to bedrock, and in a straight line. I'm just guessing but it seems like those are ideal conditions to get a nice continuous even flow of water, with out surges, similar to a sluice. I read a lot of stuff that says to check the insides of turns but I've never had much luck there. I wonder, if the inside bends are so good at catching gold why aren't there any sluices that have sharp turns in them?