Nugget Shooter Forums

hello all,

im dave

with diabetes and weight issues i figured id take up gold hunting while the wife can strap on here hiking boots and enjoy the desert southwest up close-

live in the sweltering valley of the sun but we spend time down south in rio rico-

bought a GB and some tools. now i need a place to fumble around

i suspect many of you have secret spots ( kinda like shooting spots)

but if you would be so kind... anyplaces i can elbow in and do a little hunting?

im going to drive up wickenburg way and have look in some washes south of the vulture mine

thanks for having me and i expect to learn alot from your experts '

Hey DAVE, welcome to the board.

COnsidering your Phoenix location , there're a few prospecting associations/clubs with many claims to beep on and prospect. THat will be the fastest way for you to get up to speed- since you now have a beeper. It will also be the safest since there's much ground that is claimed.

Nuggetshooter is having an outing in November. I believe there's open ground but I know there're GPAA claims. Not a member- you can't beep on those claims.

Goo d hunting!

http://www.icmj.com/clubs-associations-govt-agencies.php#top

http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.org/index.htm

• Arizona Prospectors Association, 4945 W MonteCristo Ave, Glendale, AZ 85306

http://www.aztreasures.org/index.php

http://www.gpapclub.com/index.php

http://roadrunnergold.com/

http://www.smth-gold.com/index.html

http://superstitiontreasure.com/index.html

Edited by weaver hillbille

Welcome aboard. There are some great folks on here and they are always willing to give advise and answer questions. I'm gonna back Weaver on this. Although I'm not from Arizona, I'm sure it is packed with claims like here in Nv. Probably more actually. I would find a club to join so you have access to the claims and fellow beeper swingers. Good luck and welcome.

Dan

Welcome to the Pile. If your new I'm obligated to tell you a few hard truths. Water is your friend. Carry 10 times that you think you need. If your on Meds, insure you have three times what you need before you think you can resupply. Chit Happens. Transport breaks down. Weather does it's thing and your locked were ever you are. Halve Tarps and what ever for shade. At least double the food you think you will need. Trust me on that one.

Food taste so so much better out there and you use it up fast.

Welcome aboard, Dave. x2 to Homefire on safety. It's rough out there right now. Joining a club is probably step #2. Step#1 (buy a beeper) you have taken care of with your GB. A lot of people on this forum use them.

Edited by Andyy

Nice dojo pic, by the way :D

Lots of good advice here, I'm sure more will follow. You have a most capable unit with the GB.

Near Rio Rico there's some nugget patches south of Arivaca near the border.

There's also the Las Guijas mountains north of Arivaca that the Desert Gold Diggers have some claims in.

Best place to hunt for nuggets in southern Arizona (only place I've found them down here yet) is Greaterville. It's TOUGH hunting there tho, lots of trash and very few nuggets. But when you do find one its usually pretty nice. Some of the biggest nuggets in my small collection are from down there.

Welcome, Dave ... The washes south of Vulture are generally barren or have only fine gold ... There are commercial operations in some areas ... North of Vulture has become so regulated by BLM that it's become no fun ... Best is to join one or more clubs, i.e. GPAA and Roadrunners ... They have some good claims in the LSD and Rich Hill and other areas ... Good Luck ... Cheers, Unc

Nice dojo pic, by the way :D

thanks all, and thanks, Andyy. Royce is my hero. that was taken in 2006 i believe- im learning alot, didnt know about all the claims politics. wow looks like id better join a club- i was just going to start in the hassayampa river at wickenburg and work my way south. i'll get busy finding places to hunt and joining a club- thanks for the advice- ill pack water and food and meds along with shade and ammo- Iv'e got alot to learn..

Don't forget bein diabetic especially DRINK plenty of water BEFORE you realize yer gettn thirsty. Thats the main key to stayin productive in the summer sun .
Hapy Huntn to you an the wife.

Welcome, Dave ... The washes south of Vulture are generally barren or have only fine gold ... There are commercial operations in some areas ... North of Vulture has become so regulated by BLM that it's become no fun ... Best is to join one or more clubs, i.e. GPAA and Roadrunners ... They have some good claims in the LSD and Rich Hill and other areas ... Good Luck ... Cheers, Unc

what is LSD ? other than some pretty good hallucinates haha

Little San Domingo Wash ... roughly east of Wickenburg ... north of Morristown .. Red Picacho Quadrangle. It is a popular claim area that I pick up trash in quite often. :4chsmu1: But there are nuggets there as well. GPAA and Roadrunner have many claims.

If you can make it to the outing at Gold Basin there will be all kinds of info there and lots of new friends to be made.

As a fellow diabetic , take care of your feet, I have been "sentenced" to a wheelchair now and have open ulcer, had it for a year without healing......Got to take care of yourself out there.

• Like 1

I do recommend the GPAA claims. Quite a few not just in AZ, but many other states. It's one of the more affordable ones. Searching the GPAA website, you'll find where they meet. It used to be a monthly meeting out in the Tempe area, don't know if its still there.

It took me 8 months to learn how to stake my own claim . Most of the ground worth detecting is claimed or detecting not allowed, so if you don't know where to detect, you risk losing all your equipment if you're on state land, and not federal. Joining a club lets you not worry about that and lets you go to claims you're allowed on.

I do recommend the GPAA claims. Quite a few not just in AZ, but many other states. It's one of the more affordable ones. Searching the GPAA website, you'll find where they meet. It used to be a monthly meeting out in the Tempe area, don't know if its still there.

It took me 8 months to learn how to stake my own claim . Most of the ground worth detecting is claimed or detecting not allowed, so if you don't know where to detect, you risk losing all your equipment if you're on state land, and not federal. Joining a club lets you not worry about that and lets you go to claims you're allowed on.

wow, had no idea they can confiscate my detector- I will look at GPAA but I'm not too keen on forking over a ton of money for a start up hobby, thanks for the advice- looks like I need to join a group and soon...

If you can make it to the outing at Gold Basin there will be all kinds of info there and lots of new friends to be made.

As a fellow diabetic , take care of your feet, I have been "sentenced" to a wheelchair now and have open ulcer, had it for a year without healing......Got to take care of yourself out there.

I hear ya on watching my levels- with shift work its tough- I work 12 hr rotating shifts at the local sweat shop- where is Gold basin and when is the meeting? if i'm available i'm most definitely interested in that

I hear ya on watching my levels- with shift work its tough- I work 12 hr rotating shifts at the local sweat shop- where is Gold basin and when is the meeting? if i'm available i'm most definitely interested in that

The outing isn't until the first week of November, which will give you plenty of time to plan on going.

Here's a link to the outing topic, as the dates gets closer, direction, etc. will be posted for anyone needing them. in the meantime read the entire topic, join in, reply, ask questions, etc., etc.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28639

Skip