Nugget Shooter Forums

need help what do you think?

Hi all,

looking for some help from the experts, I was out detecting in the sierra hill sides and when the light was beginning to fade I hit the best signal of the day... nice mellow low/hi on the Zed. Down about 12 inches in hard packed soil. I came up with this chunk of metal stuck to the magnet on my pick while raking material from the hole not knowing what it was I just threw it in my pocket and did not look at it again until I got home. when the dirt was washed off I could see it was infused/intermixed with yellowish crystals and the rust pattern visible where the crust is thinner shows some silvery splotches. there are also square-ish pockets on the outside where crystals have been dislodged, crystal fragments remain in the pockets some of these show signs of what look like heat damage, the pockets also retain parallel lines left by the crystal on the metal. some of the pockets show the lines in a different direction that look like thumb printing. I do not see vesicles with a loop, but what looks like a distinct fusion crust in many areas. The pictures are taken with my iPhone looking through a small loop. total weight is 6.51 grams

post-27513-0-79354200-1438717588_thumb.p

post-27513-0-56408700-1438717606_thumb.j

post-27513-0-73297200-1438717624_thumb.p

post-27513-0-17820300-1438717645_thumb.p

post-27513-0-31190100-1438717664_thumb.j

Edited by 1515Art

I suggested Art post his question here for intelligent opinions from the wise and experienced...

That said, Art, these are better pic's and I doubt this is a meteorite. I have no clue what mineral or minerals it is but probably not a meteorite in my humble opinion.

What do you other people think?

fred

I am going to say rutile( the black crystal embeded) which is both striated and( can be) magnetic. What looks like fusion crust could just be the edges of the cavity in which the crystal formed or secondary crystalization over the crystal.

So says an experienced and wise Googler :brows:

Edited by weaver hillbille

Thanks guys you are great you solved my mystery, it looks exactly like rutile with zircon crystals the (small brightly colored ones) and possibly another crystal as well (the larger crystal possibly quartz).

Was doing some more reading and zircon crystals are frequently dull grey and square as well as rust colored patches and the more gem quality are of course transparent and multi colored. this all matches for a small chunk of zircon crystals on a rutile matrix and NOT meteorite. This is what I love about this... I'm learning all kinds of stuff you couldn't shove down my throat when I was in school and now I can't wait to crack a book! Thanks again for all the help, now I can't wait to go find something else... ok gold i hope.

Edited by 1515Art

Absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt, 100% not a meteorite of any sort.

Mike , I wish you could be a little more clear :4chsmu1:

1515Art, is it possible that this mineral never was the target to begin with ? Just looks like ironstone / limonite to me ....and I figured the "zed" wouldnt see stuff like that....?

possibly, but... I dug this very slowly, it was at the end of the day and i wanted to enjoy the mystery. even walked back to my car and got a shovel to help widen and clear the hole. dug down about a foot made the hole wider rechecked, still there. scraped a little with the pick and cleared the dirt with the shovel and the target was out of the whole. on checking for the target I only found a very small piece of rusted magnetic metal much to small to give the same signal I had found prior to clearing that last bit. the last sweep of the hole produced an overload signal on the zed, the rusted piece i recovered barely made a signal in the plastic cup. so unless there was a huge rust halo, but when I saw what i thought was a large piece of metal stuck to the magnet on my pick and several rechecks produced no more signals from the hole or loose dirt... ass-u-me the signal came from the thing on my pick.

when i was a young lad working in a brand new job id just gotten, one of the old timers pulled me aside one day and told me "kid don't assume anything" and he gave me a little friendly shove on the shoulder, "cause when ya do, you make an ass out of you and me, get it." So,I add this just in case there is someone not familiar with the saying ass-u-me.